My NEW Standing Kimura to Berimbolo (plus Kimura to modified Sumi Gayashe, lol)

kpoz12

The No Life King
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Okie folks, here's my latest move in my Kimura series: a Standing Kimura to Berimbolo back take!
First I show the standard Kimura to Sumi Gaeshi roll to mount, and then at 1:25 I show how to take his back when he stops the momentum of the roll.
(this is super common at my club, as everyone knows I'm going for the Sumi roll, thus i came up with the berimbolo variation)

*EDIT: If I really was this far from an opponent in competition, I'd just jump to my closed guard finishes/sweeps to mount, as you've seen in all my other vids. The main thing that we didn't really capture here is that he's supposed to be deep on a single leg, and that's why it seems like I'm not close enough to him.
In the video I'm just kind of showing the mechanics behind what I would do to counter, but my partner isn't actually deep on the single, so I get why it doesn't seem to be close enough.*

[YT]doLwu-v4L2c&feature=youtu.be[/YT]

As you've seen in my other kimura vids, these moves are counters to single/double leg takedown attempts. I wish I did the actual brimbolo part faster, but, whatevs!

Lemme know if you have any questions! (And Gambledud, feel free to chop up some gIFs of these!).

Last edited:
is there a technical reason you don't pull them in further than you are? When I do this I have my elbow up past their shoulder, im pushing their wrist towards their hip, and my arms as close to my body as possible. I figure if they're closer I can generate more presh and make the roll tighter.

Yours kinda gives them a half second to fall forward so as to catch them on the butterfly hook, it's less 'secure' but it keeps them from regaining control via the body lock as you roll. You're pulling them down into you instead of rolling with them. Since we're the same size I like that idea, my way ends up ddt-ing shorter people while yours makes them fall into you.

Is it harder to direct them with the kimura grip as they're coming through the roll? Less leverage? I can see how keeping their hand away from something to grip could be advantageous in GI...but that's why Kimura invented the teabag....but I digress.

Good job Kenny! Good bio-mechanics

Sort of- the main thing that we didn't really capture here is that he's supposed to be deep on a single leg, and that's where the "closeness" would come from IRL.

In the video I'm just kind of showing the mechanics behind what I would do to counter, but my partner isn't actually deep on the single, so I get why it doesn't seem to be close enough.

If I really was this far from an opponent in competition, I'd just jump to my closed guard finishes/sweeps to mount, as you've seen in all my other vids.

The other intangible thing you can't really feel is the amount of presh I'm clamping down on his shoulder with my armpit. I get it tight enough that I can control the whole arm and prevent him from circling around with just my one arm. Other than that I've never had anyone fall on top of me.

Thanks for the interest.

Last edited:
Here's a much shorter version that just shows the 2 moves without any dialogue.

[YT]2OW-_gjT0u4&feature=youtu.be[/YT]

Hey thanks a lot, I appreciate it! Lol I posted this on Instagram and Dillon Danis liked it.

WebM version: http://webm.host/fff64/

Last edited:
Very cool! The bowing and sherdog shout out also made me lol! I will get some gifs up.

Nice! Watch for Dillon Danis to use these moves next tournament, hah! But yeah, hook up some gifs yo.

Here you go!

Kimura to Sumi Gaeshi
ys7O8vF.gif

Kimura to Berimbolo Back Take
1K7a86e.gif

Do you plan on making more of these? I'd love to see your take on the basic mechanics of the Kimura!

Hey thanks for the gifs!
Yes, this will be my new format. We did this one totally on a whim on Saturday- just got out the iPhone and winged it.

But yeah, I'm gonna get my good camcorder out and do all those segments I talked about last year- most importantly on the concept of using the DWL as a 2 on 1 control, breaking their defensive grips, how I finish from my guard (my new method of fully rotating and cranking the arm straight), and that sweep to mount.

Hey thanks for the gifs!
Yes, this will be my new format. We did this one totally on a whim on Saturday- just got out the iPhone and winged it.

But yeah, I'm gonna get my good camcorder out and do all those segments I talked about last year- most importantly on the concept of using the DWL as a 2 on 1 control, breaking their defensive grips, how I finish from my guard, and that sweep to mount.

Awesome! Plus if you forget your camcorder I think the quality here was pretty good too!

Yeah I'm happy with it. Plus I finally have a guy that is willing to be my Uke on camera, hah!

Gonna film a new episode tomorrow on what to do when you simply CANNOT break their grip from the north/south Kimura...it'll be good, cuz my Uke actually has retarded old man silverback guerrilla grip strength, so it'll be very real!! (hint: not a spin armbar, and not what Jason Scully posted either)

Pretty excellent.

Hey thanks a lot!

I was gonna say that my regular berimbolo from DLR guard sucks, but this variation is rally easy to do. I just wish I did it faster in the video- t looks pretty slow because I keep stopping half way through. Maybe today I'll film a faster version.

But yeah, look for a new episode on north south kimura later today or tomorrow.

Honestly,fall to your butt hoping to get it way is not the correct way at all. You should be hopping in, attaching the hook, then butt sinks to the mat as you are attached to them in a much much tighter ball of bodies. your way is no good against high level people at all, they can hop over, spiderman bail,maybe even potentially stuff knee to mount, one could even counter with a reverse kneebar or rolling calf slicer knee compression Genki style.

This is not how Oleg showed me in 98, this is not how Karo hit in UFC, etc.
if someone is way lighter, noob, then you could kinda, but to actually teach it incorrectly is bad bad bad
If they dont do it your way in Sambo or Judo, then maybe there are reasons. Ur also freezing, instead of hopping in, so ur not closing the distance on your nuts open to a simple kick. Hence sportification pussification of MARTIAL styles. This does not pass the Mifune filter at all.

I just taught DWL variations yesterday and had 2, possibly 3 black belts in the room all learning

Last edited:
Back