My Matches from US Grappling, Chicago

These are my matches from my last tournament. I know i need to focus on keeping my hips down and having more hip movement during armbars. If you c anything else let me know.

You're lucky there is always a man around making sure things get done right.

Your game looks awesome! Not too many girls in the midwest that can compete with you! If I were you I would look to compete in the worlds in California and see if you could make noise at that level! To me it looks like you would do great!

Abby from Grand Rapids visited Chicago awhile back and beat everyone up and stole our lunch money. Nice takedown in the first vid!

Your game looks awesome! Not too many girls in the midwest that can compete with you! If I were you I would look to compete in the worlds in California and see if you could make noise at that level! To me it looks like you would do great!
Hey, Thanks. I really want to compete at the worlds and some of the other major tournaments, but i'm not sure if i can afford it right now. It would be amazing to compete against girls who are actually my size and at my level.

Do you have a judo or wrestling backgrounds? The takedowns were really slick.

Do you have a judo or wrestling backgrounds? The takedowns were really slick.

No, i have no background in wrestling or Judo, but we do have some very good wrestlers who train bjj at my gym who have worked with me on my takedowns. My takedowns are still very weak by there standards, but they are just good enough to score me a few points and get me in decent position during my matches.

Why is the guy talking at the video moaning? Sounds like he is rolling at the same time:p

the girl you met in the finals didnt seem to have anyone at her side at all lol
only instructions i could hear were your coach.

But good work.. i've seen your other videos and you pwn

Nice aggressiveness.

My two cents:

Add in the omo plata. You've got a much bigger opponent where triangles and armbars are tough and the omo plata is your friend. It works a ton better with leverage against bigger people. When you bail on say the armbar, keep the sleeve grip and keep it between your legs and reroll to the omo plata.

Second, it looked like you put yourself way too far on top of someone bigger (even if they aren't bigger, you want to adjust your side control). Rely more on the shoulder in the neck/face and your grips to control. Getting on top of somebody is recipe to get bridged or rolled.

You did a great job of movement. That's a great gameplan for anybody, but especially a larger opponent.

the girl in the absolute finals looks like she never even heard of passing the guard.

your coach yelling "chin in the eye socket was pretty funny".

you did well and pretty much kicked their ass.

Nice aggressiveness.

My two cents:

Add in the omo plata. You've got a much bigger opponent where triangles and armbars are tough and the omo plata is your friend. It works a ton better with leverage against bigger people. When you bail on say the armbar, keep the sleeve grip and keep it between your legs and reroll to the omo plata.

Second, it looked like you put yourself way too far on top of someone bigger (even if they aren't bigger, you want to adjust your side control). Rely more on the shoulder in the neck/face and your grips to control. Getting on top of somebody is recipe to get bridged or rolled.

You did a great job of movement. That's a great gameplan for anybody, but especially a larger opponent.

Hey, thanks for the advice. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to roll with larger opponents. That girl had 60 lbs on me... I've figured out that bigger girls are a lot slower than me which gives me a significant advantage despite the weight difference. If you c anything else i need to work on let me know. I'll try to incorporate what you said into my training tonight.

Nice aggressiveness.

My two cents:

Watch starting at 1:41 to see Abby's oma plata transition!

Back