My matches from this weekend (videos)

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Wrestleben, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Wrestleben

Wrestleben Brown Belt

My team had about 10 guys at the Michigan open run by Caique and Warrior Way over in Walled Lake, MI located outside metro detroit. I was in the masters heavy blue category and ended up with a bye in the first round. Please let me know any comments or criticisms as always.

2nd round (1st match). I'm in the white gi. This guy looked good in his first match beating what looked like a tough guy. My plan was to take down and work top game which is my tournament strength. My opponent his a nice trip on me, but i was able to scramble on top. I worked on top for a bit, then to north south and finally finished a kimura. I hope he is ok, as his arm was hurting after.

finals. I'm the white guy. This guy was insanely strong (and had a nipple ring). I had problems working anything on him, and it turned out to be a boring-ish match I think. I was unable to get a takedown, and he wasn't doing much other then pushing me off and backing up. I got a little frustrated and took a bad shot. Ended up turtling and rolling to guard. I had a hard time setting up grips from guard and wasn't able to score, despite a near sweep from dhg as time was up. In OT he tried an armdrag, and I timed a good re-drag to take his back for the win.

2. Jdonw

Jdonw Green Belt

Same team, same tournament. I will ask for critique as well. My division(adult heavyweight) only had one other person in it, it was double elimination so it was best 2 out of 3.

1st match: My coach's wife asked me to do something special for her in my match. So I called this submission about 4 hours before the match. You have to watch and see.

2nd match: Trying not to be an ass, but I knew I had this match going in. I beat him in the first match, I had my coach right there telling me what to do. I was confident going in, probably on the side of arrogant.

3. Wrestleben

Wrestleben Brown Belt

{crickets}

4. jrock89

jrock89 Orange Belt

Congrats on the victories. Nice kimura from top :icon_chee

5. yovan

yovan Purple Belt

I started watching and then the baby started screaming. (don't worry, not from the technique, haha)

I'll try and watch today at work and offer up my comments (only a blue belt)

6. Doctor Venture

Doctor Venture Black Belt

You're both ranked higher, and roll way better than me so really no constructive criticism. Congrats though.

7. mtruitt76

mtruitt76 Purple Belt

Good scramble in the first match after the trip to avoid giving your opponent a dominant position. After that you controlled the match very well and did a good job working the submission.

In the second match you were facing a very defensive fighter and I think you took a couple of chances to push the action that you should not have taken. The shot from your knees was ill advised. The guy was going to be hard to take down, but you would not have been in danger of being taken down. You opened yourself up on that one.

Also when you had him in full guard he was being defensive again, mainly countering your attacks and not opening up to look for the pass. You opened your guard to force the action and ended up having to turtle.

Technique wise I think you were doing the right thing, but strategy wise I thing it would have been more beneficial to be more patient. The guy was being very defensive so points were going to be hard to come by, but I think you would have scored in the stand up if you had avoided the shot from the knees and I think something would have presented itself from closed guard if you had continued with your attacks and not opened up. I actually thought you were getting better grips from closed guard than you were giving yourself credit for.

Good matches and congratulations.

8. KILL KILL

KILL KILL Gold Belt

good stuff. keep up the hard work

9. ChiliDavis65

ChiliDavis65 Blue Belt

Anyone know if the full results for the Michigan Open are posted anywhere yet?

10. Wrestleben

Wrestleben Brown Belt

Great analysis, thanks. The second match I felt like I had to press the action, and in retrospect, should have been more patient and waited for him to make a mistake. I've never faced someone so defensive, so it was a different experience.

11. Wrestleben

Wrestleben Brown Belt

They are not up yet, but will be on their website.

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Tournaments

12. jacketwrestler1

jacketwrestler1 Blue Belt

When you are standing you tend to let them control the grips and half ass your attack. Get in there and go after him.

Sry caps lock is on and im not retyping that