My matches from the weekend

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Allan san, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Allan san

Allan san Green Belt

Hey guys, I competed at NAGA this past weekend in the Intermediate/Blue divisions and figured I'd post my matches. I had 3 strong wrestlers (2nd No-gi match and the 2nd and 3rd Gi matches) that really made me fight for the wins. I took double gold, but I feel like it could have gone the other way for all of my opponents. Everyone was really technical and very cool to talk to. Feel free to give some feedback. (I'm the bald guy)

Match 1:
    [YT]84xgLAak4CQ[/YT]

Match 2:
    [YT]C4iqTQZVSTY[/YT]

Match 3:
    [YT]R9uGp0ZK4Fs[/YT]

Match 4:
    [YT]POEqFg53BX4[/YT]

Match 5:
    [YT]LEI7pD598JU[/YT]

2. SuperiorHands

SuperiorHands Purple Belt

Nice work man, especially on the nogi matches those were fun to watch.

3. Allan san

Allan san Green Belt

Thanks a lot!

4. Dirty Holt

Dirty Holt Black Belt Professional Fighter

Obviously you wrestled. You should consider going advanced.

5. Uchi Mata

Uchi Mata Preaching the gospel of heel hooks and left kicks

No gi I have nothing to add. You looked good, great TDs, slick X guard, you outclassed both those guy and could have fought up.

Gi, I think you did well you just got impatient standing. You have good wrestling, I think if you took some time to learn a little bit more gi gripping strategy, especially how to disengage to set up shots, you'd probably get the TD most matches at your level.

In general you won pretty much all the scrambles, so I'd say any time you have the chance to initiate a scramble do it. You were faster and more athletic than all your opponents, no reason not to take advantage of that.

6. Allan san

Allan san Green Belt

I have never wrestled until I started jiu jitsu. I must say that you have accidentally given me quite a compliment coming from you. I remember a couple years ago I post my white belt videos and your exact words were "ugh, I hate the standup of BJJ guys". Lol. Thanks Holt!

Oh yeah, since I won this time, I'm moving up to advanced. Time to start over at the bottom.

7. Allan san

Allan san Green Belt

It has been noted. Thanks for taking the time out to watch all of them. I will try to initiate more scrambles when I find myself in less than desirable positions. I will also work on some gripping strategies. I definitely get impatient during the initial grip fighting, hence the failed flying armbar.

8. yovan

yovan Purple Belt

Overall, great job.

No-gi looked super-solid. I like you way of getting underneath people to initiate scrambles and sweeps. As someone else already noted, you are very good in the scramble.

Looked a bit tentative in the gi. I agree with others you can let your wrestling flow a bit more in the gi. Play your game, let them adapt. If they pull while your initiating a shot you will still get the 2 points.

Looked great for a blue belt. I would try advanced without the gi.

9. Dirty Holt

Dirty Holt Black Belt Professional Fighter

Thats impressive. Just by watching your stance and movement, it looks like someone with at least HS level wrestling if not more. You should work your snapdowns more. Looking at your style, I think you could benefit from getting good at that move.

10. Allan san

Allan san Green Belt

Thanks man. I come from a team that trains a lot of takedowns. You are literally the 2nd person in a couple days to tell me to start drilling the snapdown, so I have already started my research on it.

11. Allan san

Allan san Green Belt

I a very tentative in gi because of the grips. My anxiety in competition is terrible so I become hesitant the moment a grip is established. Thanks for your input. I will start getting to work.

12. Uchi Mata

Uchi Mata Preaching the gospel of heel hooks and left kicks

For what it's worth, I also assumed you had wrestled at least in high school.

To be more specific on the scrambles, I felt like when you were in bottom half (which happened a few times) you weren't doing much to try and get to the underhook and get to your knees. If you can get to that dogfight position you'll win a lot of engagements against other purple belts just by being quick to the side and hitting doubles and singles.

Lucas Leite is someone I'd look into if I were you.