my matches from the kumite classic

awesome work man, well done!!!
The first couple of matches did NOT look like white belt matches at all...

Hey dude, thank you for posting those videos; I don't really remember watching many fights live at the tournament either... I am always running around coaching or competing or waiting for my own division to start too. So I often lose at tournaments. I apologize if I seemed a little impersonal. How did the rest of Rozzi do?

Your first three matches were awesome. Woo flying armbar! I wish I was that good at 7 months. Great takedowns and scrambles. I like that bow and arrow choke and that "wing" choke - without the "wing" in the 3rd match. I know the guy in the red gi in the 4th match - he seemed pretty strong to me, so you did great. Way to keep the pressure, and congrats on first place!!!!!!

thanks everybody, and that bow and arrow choke was so tight i dont understand how he didnt tap. And im not gonna lie i dont know what a wing choke is, or how to properly apply it i just grabbed his gi and pushed his head into it haha.

I suppose if he trained 6 days a week, 2-3 hours each training plus a few double trainings per day it is possible for him to be this good after 7 months. Even if he told us he has been training for a year he still looked very good in the videos.

I've been training 6 months (4-5 days a week) and I think I am pretty good, but not THAT good! Seriously he is talented!

thanks everybody, and that bow and arrow choke was so tight i dont understand how he didnt tap. And im not gonna lie i dont know what a wing choke is, or how to properly apply it i just grabbed his gi and pushed his head into it haha.

LOL, A wing choke is the same thing, except you go under the arm too. I consider both the same thing.

katahajime.gif

When doing that bow an arrow, there are a few little tricks to finishing it. I like to throw my feet over this shoulder like in the version from guard. Here's an example of me doing it in a match:

Match 5 - Jimmy Cerra - PA Open Judo 2007

<embed id="VideoPlayback" style="width:400px;height:326px" flashvars="" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=3416013770497846715&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> </embed>

A more traditional way is to use your shin pressing his head into the choke. This can be devastating. Here's an example of Balto doing it in a match too. Notice his left leg supporting the head and upper body:

Randall Jones -- Copa Nova III 2008 -- Men&#39;s Gi Blue Belt 155

<embed id="VideoPlayback" style="width:400px;height:326px" flashvars="" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=980360816792746054&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> </embed>

Try it out! Don't change too much, because you are doing really good! Congrats again!!!

Thanks for all of the vids frodo, That was Brutal! and congrats to you to man

Good job man, you looked awesome. Get a little intense don't ya?

Total newb when it comes to grappling, so help me out here. First you said it was a white belt division but you had a green belt on. Is that just to help identify the two fighters, or do you get a diff color as you advance through your matches for the day?

Second, the last video. At the end I don't understand what happened. Your opponent looked like he has control for most of the match, yet you won and I saw no tap. What happened there?

My apologies for the newbie questions, but you don't ask, you don't learn. :) Also, the other fights looked kick-ass! Good job!

AdamL, yes, it can be for identification. Fir this tournament, they were using green belts to distinguish between two competitors with similar-colored gis. For example, I had to wear a green belt in my purple belt match. I wanted to take off my purple belt, but my ref told me not to for some reason. (Some places use the "adult green belt" as an intermediate step between white and blue, but I don't think rampage22's school it.)

rampage22, thanks. Glad you enjoyed those vids.

Total newb when it comes to grappling, so help me out here. First you said it was a white belt division but you had a green belt on. Is that just to help identify the two fighters, or do you get a diff color as you advance through your matches for the day?

Second, the last video. At the end I don't understand what happened. Your opponent looked like he has control for most of the match, yet you won and I saw no tap. What happened there?

My apologies for the newbie questions, but you don't ask, you don't learn. :) Also, the other fights looked kick-ass! Good job!

Frodo hit it right on the head about the belt question. and the last match i scored 6 points with two guard passes. He had me in a triangle but i had my other hand fished through the legs to alleviate the choke. then i went for mount and he countered with a leg-lock escape. There isnt any leglocks so i kind of just sat there cause i was exhausted haha somehting i said id never do. So the dude did have a lot of control but so did i and i won on points.

Back