My matches at the Kumite Tourney

Jimmy Cerra

Amateur Fighter
@Black
Reaction score
Like rampage22, I did the Kumite Classic too this past Saturday. I weighed in at 152 and had only had 2 matches - one gi and one no-gi. I won the gi match so I got first in purple belt. However, I lost my first no-gi advanced fight. Here are my matches:

Kumite Classic - Purple Belt 160 - Jimmy vs Yun:

<embed id="VideoPlayback" style="width:400px;height:326px" flashvars="" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=-6115207963441222512&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> </embed>

In my gi match, I threw him with seoinage straight to a pin, followed up by taking his back, mounting, and taking his back again. The ref stopped the match because I scored too many points. I'm a little unsatisfied though. It wasn't a hard match. Winning first out of two is hardly impressive. Hopefully I get more matches at my next tourney.

Kumite Classic - Advanced no-gi 160 - Jimmy:

<embed id="VideoPlayback" style="width:400px;height:326px" flashvars="" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=2542558388120068898&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> </embed>

I didn't do that well in no-gi. I tried wrestling with a guy much bigger and stronger than me - when I should have pulled guard. On the ground I felt like I was scoring all the points, but he crawled out of bounds. Then they restarted us standing (hu?), and he won by takedown points and disengaging. Lesson learned - I should not be ashamed of guard pulling!!!

So I guess I'm a little depressed. I'm happy I finally won a division at this tournament, but I wanted to submit someone or at least have a better record!!!

Like rampage22, I did the Kumite Classic too this past Saturday. I weighed in at 152 and had only had 2 matches - one gi and one no-gi. I won the gi match so I got first in purple belt. However, I lost my first no-gi advanced fight. Here are my matches:

Kumite Classic - Purple Belt 160 - Jimmy vs Yun:

</EMBED>

In my gi match, I threw him with seoinage straight to a pin, followed up by taking his back, mounting, and taking his back again. The ref stopped the match because I scored too many points. I'm a little unsatisfied though. It wasn't a hard match. Winning first out of two is hardly impressive. Hopefully I get more matches at my next tourney.

Kumite Classic - Advanced no-gi 160 - Jimmy:

</EMBED>

I didn't do that well in no-gi. I tried wrestling with a guy much bigger and stronger than me - when I should have pulled guard. On the ground I felt like I was scoring all the points, but he crawled out of bounds. Then they restarted us standing (hu?), and he won by takedown points and disengaging. Lesson learned - I should not be ashamed of guard pulling!!!

So I guess I'm a little depressed. I'm happy I finally won a division at this tournament, but I wanted to submit someone or at least have a better record!!!

Nice drop Seo. You tooled the first guy completely.

Lesson learned - I should not be ashamed of guard pulling!!!

As you saw Jimmy, I am shameless when it comes to butt scooting after being ankle picked to all hell.

Scott-Balance

that throw was wicked!!! good job man, once the touranment finally took off it was pretty well ran

The ref stopped the match because I scored too many points
Wait, how common is that? I hadn't heard of it before.
(Ditto the nice throw BTW)

you did good, i seen them on facebook, it was very impressive. no gi was understandable, it looked difficult to take him down. u did good though, guard-pulling is such a turn-off, makes me stop watching the fight. good that u didnt pull guard, better to lose that way than to win by just pulling guard and doing a gogo (like somebody else's video i seen on facebook from the same tourney). good fights man, beautiful ippon

In the no-gi, at 6:00 after the failed armbar, it looks like you sweep and get side control. How come you restarted on the feet? Did it not count because it was out of bounds?

The reffing in the no gi match was just terrible.

The problem is that with the particular strategy the guy was using, the boundaries are extremely important. The boundaries in that match seemed to change every few seconds. One time you guys were halfway into the other ring before the ref stopped the action. The next time, it's right at the edge, etc.

The first time he crawled out of bounds, I can see the standing restart because you hadn't really established control yet. The second time it happened (around 6:00), you had him in side control. That is just horrible reffing to start that standing up again.

After the second restart, you go to your guard and it is out of bounds. The ref restarts you back in your guard that time. That does not make any sense.

Unfortunately, you just got screwed on the reffing there. The guy was superior on takedowns clearly, but he fled to the boundaries as a strategy and the ref gave him ridiculous leeway with it. There is no way that you should be able to go out of bounds in bottom side control and restart standing.

Anyway, next time at a better tournament with a better ref, you should do a lot better.

I don't understand why they stopped the first fight. I would be pissed if I had a fight stopped 2:00 in just because I was way behind on points.

Nice drop seio Jimmy.

Thanks guys. I like that seoinage on the other side. Scott, can you send me a few of your crew's matches? I liked watching you and Jeff fighting, and I want to watch it again! BTW, I uploaded our video of you and Samy competing here: Kumite Classic - Intermediate - Scot vs Samy

IDK about the reffing. One mat was calling every reversal a sweep - even those from under mount... :rolleyes: However, reffing can be a frustrating and stressful job. Bad calls can be prevented with better instructions from the tournament organizer.

Re: the mercy rule. I would rather have submitted him too, but oh well. A lot of tournaments that I've been in had a 12-point rule. i.e. If you had a 12-point advantage then they call the match as a "technical win." There is precedent in other BJJ and wrestling tournaments. I guess it can speed things up.

All in all, I thought the tournament could use several changes, but it's slowly getting better. They needed wider brackets. Some of those divisions were just too big. Also advanced and high ranks should go first, not last. They need more space next year too - both for the stands and for a warmup area. Oh well that's my main gripe this year. I still hope everyone in the area stops by for the next tournament in Pittsburgh!!!!!

The collar grip drop seoi was nice, good to see some judo come in handy. Thats my go-to throw in judo, which got me my 1st kyu. Strange people are always telling me it would be too risky for bjj. Personally i think its safer than a normal drop seoi as your opponent doesnt have a collar grip (in situations when the throw fails).
For some reason I couldnt see the second match but the first was very impressive although the 12 point lead rule is very silly imo.

Looked good. The seoi was nice. I think if you would have attacked slightly quicker after he failed his attempt it would have been more dynamic... but it got him to the ground, and that's really what matters.

Thanks guys. I like that seoinage on the other side. Scott, can you send me a few of your crew's matches? I liked watching you and Jeff fighting, and I want to watch it again! BTW, I uploaded our video of you and Samy competing here: Kumite Classic - Intermediate - Scot vs Samy

IDK about the reffing. One mat was calling every reversal a sweep - even those from under mount... :rolleyes: However, reffing can be a frustrating and stressful job. Bad calls can be prevented with better instructions from the tournament organizer.

That would actually be Jeff against Samy. I hoping to get everything off my video camera and up when I can. It was actually a big help watching my own matches and seeing my mistakes, other then coming out flat and lazy.

nice work frodo... that second match was frustrating as hell, he kept backin up and going out of the ring, you must have reset like 8 times... the ref should have warned him or started deducting points, it was ridiculous.

In the first match you were all over that guy, even though the mercy rule sucks... i would have liked to see a sub, i thought i was gonna see your choke from the gift wrap, lol

hey frodo, do you have or know where i can see the final results for the kumite?

Hi Jimmy, Great job on the first match! I couldn't view the second match , but it was cool to see footage of you doing your thing! Congratulations!

you did good, i seen them on facebook, it was very impressive. no gi was understandable, it looked difficult to take him down. u did good though, guard-pulling is such a turn-off, makes me stop watching the fight. good that u didnt pull guard, better to lose that way than to win by just pulling guard and doing a gogo (like somebody else's video i seen on facebook from the same tourney). good fights man, beautiful ippon

Its better to lose by wrestling than to win by jiujitsu?

lol ok!

Nice job frodo, especially in the gi match. beautifully timed and executed throw.

Back