My lower body lifts suck

Ted-P

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
My lower body numbers are pretty horrible.

So should I just kinda ease back on the upperbody for a while and concentrate on squats and deadlifts?

OK so three lowerbody days it is.

Ted-P said:
My lower body numbers are pretty horrible.

So should I just kinda ease back on the upperbody for a while and concentrate on squats and deadlifts?
I think there's more going on here than simply focusing on upper body too much. but that's just a hunch.

Urban said:
I think there's more going on here than simply focusing on upper body too much. but that's just a hunch.
Besides that I'm not genetically gifted?

Probably not.

My lower body workout usually consists

Back Squat - Deadlift
Front squat
Glute-Ham Raise-RDL
Back extension
Single leg workout.

I made this into it's own thread. I can move it back if you like and you're welcome to change the title as well.

In any event, what does your routine look like right now and lets define "suck." What are your current lifts? do you have a physical log book in which you record each workout? What did you have for breakfast this morning? How much athletic activity are you involved in outside the weight room and where does it fit in in your schedule?

Suck means horrible numbers.

I have given up on heavy lifting for a while. Not really. I do it sometimes, but not often.

Back squats 3 sets x 10-8 reps or Deadlift
Front squats 3 sets x 10
RDL 3 x 10 or Glute Ham raise 3 x 10
Back extensions.

This is a new routine for me though.

I do these once a week for lower body.

I'd say go to the gym more. what else are you doing besides lifting? cardio? fight training? you've been around here long enough to be using heavier weights. and what about the rest of my questions?

What are your current lifts? do you have a physical log book in which you record each workout? What did you have for breakfast this morning? How much athletic activity are you involved in outside the weight room and where does it fit in in your schedule?

Urban said:
I'd say go to the gym more. what else are you doing besides lifting? cardio? fight training? you've been around here long enough to be using heavier weights. and what about the rest of my questions?

Suck means horrible numbers.

Squat:225
Deadlift:210.
Bench:200.

I have given up on heavy lifting for a while. Not really. I do it sometimes, but not often. It burnt me out too much.

Back squats 3 sets x 10-8 reps or Deadlift
Front squats 3 sets x 10
RDL 3 x 10 or Glute Ham raise 3 x 10
Back extensions.
single leg.

I am done with football and I have spring track in the far future.

So basically I have a plenty time sit on my ass and roll around with time to waste. I joined Intramura Badminton for fun.

This is a new routine for me though.

I do these once a week for lower body.

I notice that my lower body lifts are pretty weak, too. I've been "lifting weghts" for quite a while, ever since high school. Of course, I didn't know what the heck I was doing. I was bodybuilding, not training for usable strength.

Well, now that's changed, and I'm working toward actually increasing my strength. It's a tough road, but slowly it's coming along. I'm just having some trouble gaining muscle. I guess I just need to eat more.

I've been losing pounds though.

180 pounds now

and no I don't keep a log.

To be honest, I don't follow my own advice and get really lazy.l

those numbers are far from sucking for a teenager...how is your form? How low are you able to go when squatting?

PariahCarey said:
those numbers are far from sucking for a teenager...how is your form? How low are you able to go when squatting?
I go all the way baby. Nothing less expected. I lash out on my lifting buddies if they go less than parallel and I still feel iffy about them not going all the way down.

Recently, I have dropped the weights to really concentrate on form and hypertropy-strength.

Those are the maxes I got.

You got nothing to do? Get a real routine and start keeping a log. You seemed to read my other thread, skip to the bottom to post in it, look at my advice in there. Here's what I would do:

- keep a log of your lifts. Leave it in your car, your backpack, your locker, wherever: so long as you have it when you're going to the gym. Shit, hide it IN the gym for all I care. KEEP A LOG.

- eat 4 eggs with cheese and hot sauce for breakfast and wash it down with a fruit smoothie. Every meal should consist of protein and fiber.

- Strive to progress every week. and knock off this high rep shit. I would totally reverse your rep scheme and make each set heavier than the last. for example
Back squats 10 sets x 2-3 reps or Deadlift
Front squats 10 sets x 3 reps
RDL 10 x 3 or Glute Ham raise 10 x 3
fuck back extension and single leg work for right now.

- start every workout with 5x5 of a squat or deadlift with each set getting progressively heavier. if you could do this successfully last week, increase the weight this week.

here's a routine I think would be shitloads better for you
Day 1
Dead lift 5x5
Overhead Press 10-15 x 1-2
Bent over row 5x3-5
Romanian deadlifts 6x4
Rear delts or rotators

Day 2
Front Squat - 5x5
Barbell Flat Bench press 8x3-5
Push Press - 10 x 1
Power Shrugs - 5-8x5
Side press - 5x3 per side

Day 3
squats - 5x5
Close grip bench press - 4x6-8
SLDL 6-8x3
Box squats 10x2
Rear delts or rotators

Get it? if you suck balls at something, practice it and chart your progress. remember each week something should be progressing. if you could do the 5x5 at the beginning of any of the workouts then next week you need to shoot for more weight (even if it's just 5 lbs). This holds true for any of the rep schemes listed.

Urban said:
You got nothing to do? Get a real routine and start keeping a log. You seemed to read my other thread, skip to the bottom to post in it, look at my advice in there. Here's what I would do:

- keep a log of your lifts. Leave it in your car, your backpack, your locker, wherever: so long as you have it when you're going to the gym. Shit, hide it IN the gym for all I care. KEEP A LOG.

- eat 4 eggs with cheese and hot sauce for breakfast and wash it down with a fruit smoothie. Every meal should consist of protein and fiber.

- Strive to progress every week. and knock off this high rep shit. I would totally reverse your rep scheme and make each set heavier than the last. for example
Back squats 10 sets x 2-3 reps or Deadlift
Front squats 10 sets x 3 reps
RDL 10 x 3 or Glute Ham raise 10 x 3
fuck back extension and single leg work for right now.

- start every workout with 5x5 of a squat or deadlift with each set getting progressively heavier. if you could do this successfully last week, increase the weight this week.

here's a routine I think would be shitloads better for you
Day 1
Dead lift 5x5
Overhead Press 10-15 x 1-2
Bent over row 5x3-5
Romanian deadlifts 6x4
Rear delts or rotators

Day 2
Front Squat - 5x5
Barbell Flat Bench press 8x3-5
Push Press - 10 x 1
Power Shrugs - 5-8x5
Side press - 5x3 per side

Day 3
squats - 5x5
Close grip bench press - 4x6-8
SLDL 6-8x3
Box squats 10x2
Rear delts or rotators

Get it? if you suck balls at something, practice it and chart your progress. remember each week something should be progressing. if you could do the 5x5 at the beginning of any of the workouts then next week you need to shoot for more weight (even if it's just 5 lbs). This holds true for any of the rep schemes listed.

I will undoubtly give it a try.

Reps x Sets
or
Sets x Reps

What is a side press?

I don't get the difference between SLDL and RDL.

Problem is this week I only have tomorrow and wednesday to work with.

Ted-P said:
I will undoubtly give it a try.

Reps x Sets
or
Sets x Reps

What is a side press?

I don't get the difference between SLDL and RDL.
sets x reps

side press can be found in the glossary as can definitions for RDL'S and SLDL's. RDL's are actually more like a good morning with bend legs and holding the bar instead of having it in squat position.

And if you don't start this week, you'll never start. there's always going to be a reason to put it off. If you only have two days, fine. But get in the gym and make it fucking happen.

Urban said:
sets x reps

side press can be found in the glossary as can definitions for RDL'S and SLDL's. RDL's are actually more like a good morning with bend legs and holding the bar instead of having it in squat position.

And if you don't start this week, you'll never start. there's always going to be a reason to put it off. If you only have two days, fine. But get in the gym and make it fucking happen.
Eh I guess I can afford to waste one of those days.

Seems similar to the workout Carnal gave.

The upperback work seems lacking.

Back