My love/hate relationship with Wrestling

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Xenon_, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Xenon_

Xenon_ Storytelling, women n the violence of the octagon

Does anyone else have this?

On the one hand:

I'm such a stand-up fan boy. I love knock outs, footwork and traditional wars... it seems so much more like idealised fighting to me. Wrestling is such a good tool for anti-fighting. The cage and the scoring system seem to favour wrestling which encourages this lack of damage-trade (for lack of a better phrase.) It's harder to appreciate grappling for me as it looks less cool and requires more of a keen eye to acknowledge it's nuances. Again finally, I just love see punches and kicks.

On the other hand:

Wrestling is a crucial part of mma. The knowledge Base is a fundamental part of fighting (grappling aspect) because of the close-quarters nature of unarmed combat. Some of the best and most exciting fighters have wrestling bases. The discipline required to excel in wrestling has produced some of the most exceptional athletes and fighters in history. It is the oldest combat sport in the world's that's still relevant in our society.

This thread isn't really a moral one, nor necessarily a factual one. I was just wondering how many Sherdoggers have this contradictory philosophy as a fight fan.

2. eiyuu

eiyuu Silver Belt

Then you got people here on Sherdog who argue that the unified rules favor strikers since you can get stood up by the ref, you get stood up at the end of the rounds and every round starts standing . . .

Really all depends what fighter you hate on that particular day and if they're a grappler or striker.

reddhelium likes this.
  3. Papawash

Papawash clean and fresh

Wrestling is a big part of the meta game. I think the occasional hate comes from either not knowing what the hell is happening on the ground or from sheer just bleed.

4. Reach4theSky

Reach4theSky Playin' a riddim

This is the only wrestling I like..

[​IMG]

No Mas McGee likes this.
  5. No Mas McGee

No Mas McGee Banned Banned

6. BRASIL WAND

BRASIL WAND ▓▓▓AMERICAN TOP TEAM▓▓▓

There are exciting elite wrestlers like Cain Velasquez and Khabib who can hit 10 completely different TD techniques in a fight from Single to Doubles, Whizzer (Uchi Matas), to Ankle Picks etc and make it look fun.

And then you have the Johnny Hendricks or Kamaru Usmans of the UFC who do nothing but clinch grapple and do nothing with their TDs i.e. LnP

streetscience likes this.
  7. Th3Sav4ge

Th3Sav4ge "What the fuck is happening!?"

8. woodsideQ

woodsideQ Brown Belt

i've watched this like 12 times now and still watching

Reach4theSky likes this.
  9. Papawash

Papawash clean and fresh

That's a paralysis waiting to happen, good thing he was caught by the other dude wtf

Reach4theSky likes this.