My little brother got into a street fight last week...

ps. To the poster above, yes I agree it's not an awesome story. Pretty straight forward, but it's real life.

I, for one, believe you. Having friends in several parts of England, they have stories similar to yours but they just ended up running away. They couldn't even run home because they were afraid the attackers would find out where they lived.

You're brother took out a couple of racists, good on him.

Hi everyone,

I often see threads on here about BJJ and it "working" or "Not working" in a street fight situation...

Well a little background on my little brother:

3/4 years ago started Gi Jiu Jitsu under Telles and Terere jiu jitsu, did it for 4 months
2 years ago started greco roman wrestling, and nogi, did it for 6 months at a MMA gym.

In between we are fortunate enough to have a matted room in our house, so rolled occasionally when we were in london at the same time...we did little except very aggressive sparring...

Anyway he was at university, minding his own business outside his halls of residence, when two larger men approached him, shouting "Whats the time you fucking pussy"...and then the larger guy got right in his face saying again "whats the time you pussy"

My brother felt that these guys were looking to beat the shit out of someone, and he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. He double legged the guy onto the pavement, landing in side mount...applied a kimura, then stepped over his head to tighten it, the guy screamed in pain as his shoulder was about to be wrecked, and with the submission still applied, my brother asked for an apology, which the guy provided. My brother let him back up, and the attackers hurried off. The fight lasted not more than 20 seconds.

My brother was lucky the other guy didnt stamp on his head, but he had no choice but to fight.

This is proof to me, that even low levels of jiu jitsu can make an enormous difference in a street situation. I guess its a matter of believing in ones ability! My brother feels that the greco roman wrestling, and sparring jiu jitsu aggressively at home helped him win the fight.
shoulda took the arm home.

honestly, people who initiate street fights need to realize how stupid they are.

If those guys meant business your brother would have been a messy puddle on the pavement.

Lol.. ANYONE that thinks that taking a "streetfight" to the ground and going for a sub when you're outnumbered is 100% loony toon, batshit crazy.

Yes it CAN work, so can kicking a gun out of a guys hand... but would you want to bet on it??

I love it..
these "chav" types were looking for an easy target. doing nothing was not an option either.

There's a Guy Ritchie movie here somewhere: England, Chavs, Pussy, and Jiu Jitsu?

Jason Statham or Vinnie Jones by armbar.

well good job. I always agree that if someone is about to attack you for sure, it's best to attack them first

imo your brother was lucky, very lucky. The last place you wanna be with multiple possible attackers is on the floor.

I, for one, believe you. Having friends in several parts of England, they have stories similar to yours but they just ended up running away. They couldn't even run home because they were afraid the attackers would find out where they lived.

You're brother took out a couple of racists, good on him.

He could have gotten stomped.

imo your brother was lucky, very lucky. The last place you wanna be with multiple possible attackers is on the floor.

Yes, there can be a time you want it on the floor against multiple attackers. If there is nowhere to run, and you can't just KO all of them on the feet like Jet Li, you could attempt to throw one down, put him in a quick submission and threaten to break something off to keep the other guys off you for a bit. Also, if you are surrounded by too many, and you know you are going to be dragged down and beaten, your best bet is too get one down, take his back, and then roll so your back is on the ground and buddy is facing upward, while your hooks are in. Use him as a shield to stave off the beating as long as you can.

If you can't run, and you there is no way you are going to avoid being grabbed and held + beaten against several guys, unless you are Chuck Norris, what else are you going to do? Click your heels 3 times?

People say, "the last place you want to be against multiple attackers is on the floor", but they forget "against multiple attackers you are probably going to end up on the floor", there is more than likely a few scenarios where you should take it to the ground, and do it on your terms before they do it for you.

Yeah dude, you basically just told us a story about your little brother assaulting someone who asked him what time it was. lol wtf

Yes, there can be a time you want it on the floor against multiple attackers. If there is nowhere to run, and you can't just KO all of them on the feet like Jet Li, you could attempt to throw one down, put him in a quick submission and threaten to break something off to keep the other guys off you for a bit. Also, if you are surrounded by too many, and you know you are going to be dragged down and beaten, your best bet is too get one down, take his back, and then roll so your back is on the ground and buddy is facing upward, while your hooks are in. Use him as a shield to stave off the beating as long as you can.

If you can't run, and you there is no way you are going to avoid being grabbed and held + beaten against several guys, unless you are Chuck Norris, what else are you going to do? Click your heels 3 times?

People say, "the last place you want to be against multiple attackers is on the floor", but they forget "against multiple attackers you are probably going to end up on the floor", there is more than likely a few scenarios where you should take it to the ground, and do it on your terms before they do it for you.

Good post.

Anyway he was at university, minding his own business outside his halls of residence, when two larger men approached him, shouting "Whats the time you fucking pussy"...and then the larger guy got right in his face saying again "whats the time you pussy"

My brother felt that these guys were looking to beat the shit out of someone, and he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. So he was like "Here, We, Go." He double legged the guy onto the pavement, landing in side mount...applied a kimura, then stepped over his head to tighten it, the guy screamed in pain as his shoulder was about to be wrecked, and with the submission still applied, my brother asked for an apology, which the guy provided. My brother let him back up, and the attackers hurried off.

Fixed that for you.

Hi everyone,

I often see threads on here about BJJ and it "working" or "Not working" in a street fight situation...

Well a little background on my little brother:

3/4 years ago started Gi Jiu Jitsu under Telles and Terere jiu jitsu, did it for 4 months
2 years ago started greco roman wrestling, and nogi, did it for 6 months at a MMA gym.

In between we are fortunate enough to have a matted room in our house, so rolled occasionally when we were in london at the same time...we did little except very aggressive sparring...

My brother felt that these guys were looking to beat the shit out of someone, and he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. He double legged the guy onto the pavement, landing in side mount...applied a kimura, then stepped over his head to tighten it, the guy screamed in pain as his shoulder was about to be wrecked, and with the submission still applied, my brother asked for an apology, which the guy provided. My brother let him back up, and the attackers hurried off. The fight lasted not more than 20 seconds.

My brother was lucky the other guy didnt stamp on his head, but he had no choice but to fight.

This is proof to me, that even low levels of jiu jitsu can make an enormous difference in a street situation. I guess its a matter of believing in ones ability! My brother feels that the greco roman wrestling, and sparring jiu jitsu aggressively at home helped him win the fight.
Your brother was lucky and I'm glad things worked out. Your right about your brother being lucky the other guy didn't jump in. If a fight goes to the ground happens you have no choice, but to take it down when the odds are against you, risky to say the least. In a street fight I'm not wild about submissions. I was alway told to lock to learn, break to live. If left with no choice I would have wrecked the shoulder. I saw a street fight one time that the person winning let the person losing back up after they submitted. Well when the loser got back up they jumped back on the person winning and they shouldn't have because it didn't pan out this go around.

Also, if you are surrounded by too many, and you know you are going to be dragged down and beaten, your best bet is too get one down, take his back, and then roll so your back is on the ground and buddy is facing upward, while your hooks are in. Use him as a shield to stave off the beating as long as you can.

Interesting post, my buddy actually did this exact thing the last time i was involved with a fight in the street. During this same fight i used a standing RNC while my back was up againts a car which helped defend againts the multiple attackers (although the guys girlfriend with a handful of keys did a number on my face).

but yes i can attend that both those instances do actually work, or at least they did in my situation.

Back