My K1 pro rules debut - Video in thread

Mad Dollar

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Just had my 91 kg and pro rules K1 debut in april.

I was in the blue corner and lost the fight in the 2nd round after i was knocked down and counted out as i didn't want to continue.

I have been working a lot with my mental aspect of the game since the fight.

Any critique regarding the fight will be much appreciated.

I have my next fight the 24th september and will be going back down to the 86 kg weight class.

Fight video link:

My noob observations:
1) You stick your head way up
2) Despite often winning enough front foot positioning fairly easily, you didn't capitalise on it due to moving back inside his front foot.
3) More snappy rear leg front kicks up the middle would've given him a bit more to think about while closing in

My noob observations:
1) You stick your head way up
2) Despite often winning enough front foot positioning fairly easily, you didn't capitalise on it due to moving back inside his front foot.
3) More snappy rear leg front kicks up the middle would've given him a bit more to think about while closing in
Roger that! Thank you sir !

Throw your strikes like you mean it. Your opponent looks like he's throwing strikes to take your head off whereas you look like you're having an easy sparring session where you're trying NOT to hurt your partner, there's only a few punches & kicks which look like they were thrown with any intent to injure your opponent. It's a fight, not a training session, you gotta get mean and throw with bad intent or your opponents will do what this guy did to you.

I don't know how much sparring you've done, but I'd recommend some hard sparring so you can get used to hurting people and getting hurt, either that or you decide that the fight life isn't for you. If you're not willing or able to throw hard and hurt people with no hesitation or 2nd guessing, it's not going to end well for you in the ring.

Im no pro/ama fighter, so take my comments with a grain of salt. And major props to you for actually going out there and testing your self.

My first observation was the amount of high kicks you were throwing with no set ups. Mixing it up from head to body could've left your opponent more susceptible to one of them doing damage

2nd would be the amount of work in the clinch, it seemed at most times as soon as a clinch is engaged your opponent is throwing knees, you did too, but not with the same quickness or aggression that he was.

Your punching looked sharp and precise at times, others it looked like you were throwing just to keep him on defense, and for sure that could be due to being tired.

Overall, not a bad display of technique, he was just the better, more aggressive guy this time.

I hooe you keep at it. And as one of the other posters said, it did at times look like you were more in a sparring match than a fight. Get that agression, passion, drive to hurt your opponwnt in you, as bad as that sounds. Look forward to seeing more from you.

Throw your strikes like you mean it. Your opponent looks like he's throwing strikes to take your head off whereas you look like you're having an easy sparring session where you're trying NOT to hurt your partner, there's only a few punches & kicks which look like they were thrown with any intent to injure your opponent. It's a fight, not a training session, you gotta get mean and throw with bad intent or your opponents will do what this guy did to you.

I don't know how much sparring you've done, but I'd recommend some hard sparring so you can get used to hurting people and getting hurt, either that or you decide that the fight life isn't for you. If you're not willing or able to throw hard and hurt people with no hesitation or 2nd guessing, it's not going to end well for you in the ring.
Thank you sir! I feel like when rewatching the fight your right. I was not throwing strikes with the intent to knock my opponent out. I was super nervous for the fight and it definitely showed. My next fight is amateur rules with shin guards. So I’ll be back in my comfort zone and hopefully not so nervous.

Im no pro/ama fighter, so take my comments with a grain of salt. And major props to you for actually going out there and testing your self.

My first observation was the amount of high kicks you were throwing with no set ups. Mixing it up from head to body could've left your opponent more susceptible to one of them doing damage

2nd would be the amount of work in the clinch, it seemed at most times as soon as a clinch is engaged your opponent is throwing knees, you did too, but not with the same quickness or aggression that he was.

Your punching looked sharp and precise at times, others it looked like you were throwing just to keep him on defense, and for sure that could be due to being tired.

Overall, not a bad display of technique, he was just the better, more aggressive guy this time.

I hooe you keep at it. And as one of the other posters said, it did at times look like you were more in a sparring match than a fight. Get that agression, passion, drive to hurt your opponwnt in you, as bad as that sounds. Look forward to seeing more from you.
Thank you for your feedback sir! I will be back in the amateur circuit next time, and be back in my comfort zone, and hopefully not so nervous ! I will definitely work on being more aggressive and throw punches and kicks with the intent to knock my opponent out next time :)!

Thank you for your feedback sir! I will be back in the amateur circuit next time, and be back in my comfort zone, and hopefully not so nervous ! I will definitely work on being more aggressive and throw punches and kicks with the intent to knock my opponent out next time :)!
I just watched your fight! I think you did a fantastic job for what seems to be your first pro fight! IMO. And because you are asking for advise, I thought I'd offer some input.

Now I'm not a kicking boxer or Muay Tai guy, so I cannot offer any advise on kicks or techniques and strategy in those sports, but I can offer advice on your striking. When watching this, I couldn't help but notice that a lot of your punches are being pushed. Your jabs seem fine to me but your crosses looked pushed. And your hooks are very wide. Slapping even. For example, if you look at 6:06 in the video, you'll notice that you aren't turning your punch over. You can't distribute any power into your opponent that way. It's hard to get your opponent to respect you in the ring that way. And you won't ever hurt him.

Anyway, I'd do some work on body mechanics for punching with power and turning your punches over. I think you'll see a difference in the ring. IMO.

All the best.

I just watched your fight! I think you did a fantastic job for what seems to be your first pro fight! IMO. And because you are asking for advise, I thought I'd offer some input.

Now I'm not a kicking boxer or Muay Tai guy, so I cannot offer any advise on kicks or techniques and strategy in those sports, but I can offer advice on your striking. When watching this, I couldn't help but notice that a lot of your punches are being pushed. Your jabs seem fine to me but your crosses looked pushed. And your hooks are very wide. Slapping even. For example, if you look at 6:06 in the video, you'll notice that you aren't turning your punch over. You can't distribute any power into your opponent that way. It's hard to get your opponent to respect you in the ring that way. And you won't ever hurt him.

Anyway, I'd do some work on body mechanics for punching with power and turning your punches over. I think you'll see a difference in the ring. IMO.

All the best.
Thank you sir! I will watch my fight again and watch for where I’m pushing my punches. I will work on getting more power in my punches and kicks for my next fight :)!

I was in the blue corner and lost the fight in the 2nd round after i was knocked down and counted out as i didn't want to continue.

I have my next fight the 24th september and will be going back down to the 86 kg weight class.

Fight video link:

I really like how you work with your lead hand. Finding your range, disturbing the rythm of your opponent and using it for defense and offense. Great asset. It seemed that 2min into the fight your gas tank went down significant and despite the break between rounds you werent able to get back your stamina (just a guess) . Seemed like one of the main reasons for your loss as that can kill motivation and ability to execute anything. Still this was imo a really good display of skill on your part and I am sure its a fight your coaches will be able to finetune you for the future. You definitely have talent.

Tough luck man. Here are some things I noticed:

1. You lost the stare down right off the bat. Don’t look at the ref and don’t show weakness. You’re here to fight and to hurt the person in front of you. Stare him right in his third eye and show him you mean it. I could immediately tell how nervous you were from that jaw clenching/chewing on the mouth guard thing you did. Put a god damn game face on brother.

2. You lost your stance every time you punched. You need to maintain your southpaw stance. It’s literally one of your biggest advantages. Sit on everything so you don’t get so loosely goosey. Even after you kicked the opponent would kick your back leg because you wouldn’t get back to your stance. Maintain your stance at all times for now.

3. Yeah, power. You need a lot more hard sparring and hard bag/pad work.

4. You’re obviously not used to being hit hard or surviving under fire. The fact that you quit just says something about how easy your training is. That can change if you actually get used to being beat down and dishing out beat downs. You quit early cuz you aren’t used to it. For now your sparring and training should be as scary/hard as your fight. This really makes me question your training.

5. What country is this? Pretty cool language.
Good luck brother

Last edited:
1. You lost the stare down right off the bat. Don’t look at the ref and don’t show weakness. You’re here to fight and to hurt the person in front of you. Stare him right in his third eye and show him you mean it. I could immediately tell how nervous you were from that jaw clenching/chewing on the mouth guard thing you did. Put a god damn game face on brother.

I regularly looked at the referee rather than my opponent. The issue was if I looked at my opponent during the staredown I'd start laughing. I could never take it seriously when someone was trying so hard to be intimidating. Stare downs to me are something that can impact your own confidence just as much as your opponents. What happens if you commit to the stare down and your opponent legitimately intimidates you? A good tactic to impact their confidence is to act nonchalant about the whole thing.

Fight video link:

You don't turn your hips into the kicks, you just throw them out there.
Also you're a long fighter, fight that way...use your jab .

I really like how you work with your lead hand. Finding your range, disturbing the rythm of your opponent and using it for defense and offense. Great asset. It seemed that 2min into the fight your gas tank went down significant and despite the break between rounds you werent able to get back your stamina (just a guess) . Seemed like one of the main reasons for your loss as that can kill motivation and ability to execute anything. Still this was imo a really good display of skill on your part and I am sure its a fight your coaches will be able to finetune you for the future. You definitely have talent.
Thank you very much for the feedback sir ! I have a another fight soon, and my cardio should be much better this time :)

Tough luck man. Here are some things I noticed:

2. You lost your stance every time you punched. You need to maintain your southpaw stance. It’s literally one of your biggest advantages. Sit on everything so you don’t get so loosely goosey. Even after you kicked the opponent would kick your back leg because you wouldn’t get back to your stance. Maintain your stance at all times for now.

3. Yeah, power. You need a lot more hard sparring and hard bag/pad work.

4. You’re obviously not used to being hit hard or surviving under fire. The fact that you quit just says something about how easy your training is. That can change if you actually get used to being beat down and dishing out beat downs. You quit early cuz you aren’t used to it. For now your sparring and training should be as scary/hard as your fight. This really makes me question your training.

5. What country is this? Pretty cool language.
Good luck brother
Thank you very much for your feedback sir !

I was super nervous for the fight probably the most I’ve ever been, it was my first fight back in 2 years, it sucks that it was so obvious haha :)

I also noticed watched the fight back that I lost my stance and that has to be fixed because that really puts me a step behind!

Surviving under fire has been a problem of mine for a long time! And it’s hard for me to practice getting better at it. Because at my gym I’m the biggest guy and probably also one of the most skilled, so my sparring partners have a hard time pushing me as hard as I need to practice survival under fire.. I think I might try another gym for sparring so I can get that fixed :)

I will focus on getting some more power in my punches and kicks for sure :)!
Again thank you I appreciate the feedback very much!

I regularly looked at the referee rather than my opponent. The issue was if I looked at my opponent during the staredown I'd start laughing. I could never take it seriously when someone was trying so hard to be intimidating. Stare downs to me are something that can impact your own confidence just as much as your opponents. What happens if you commit to the stare down and your opponent legitimately intimidates you? A good tactic to impact their confidence is to act nonchalant about the whole thing.
I also try to act nonchalant I don’t like to look angry at my opponent I prefer to be a nice guy most of the time lol

Yep I totally get what you mean. But for me when new fighters enter the ring, it’s important to show confidence/determination and a poker face in a stressful situation such as fighting. I feel like just as you would get your fundamentals down in fighting then you can start breaking the rules like hands down, crossing feet, etc. The same goes for staredowns where you can add your own personality into it. Nonchalant like Mousasi, look around like mayweather, etc.

But I think for beginners they should follow the fundamentals of intimidating their opponent or at least showing them they aren’t nervous or afraid but ready to fuck the other guys shit up.

Once you mastered and know why the rules are in place, then you can decide when to break them and start finding your own style. Eye contact is a basic “rule” in fighting and in primal instincts.

You know what I mean?

Thank you very much for your feedback sir !

I was super nervous for the fight probably the most I’ve ever been, it was my first fight back in 2 years, it sucks that it was so obvious haha :)

I also noticed watched the fight back that I lost my stance and that has to be fixed because that really puts me a step behind!

Surviving under fire has been a problem of mine for a long time! And it’s hard for me to practice getting better at it. Because at my gym I’m the biggest guy and probably also one of the most skilled, so my sparring partners have a hard time pushing me as hard as I need to practice survival under fire.. I think I might try another gym for sparring so I can get that fixed :)

I will focus on getting some more power in my punches and kicks for sure :)!
Again thank you I appreciate the feedback very much!
Yeah man good stuff…
As for going to another gym I think that’s a great idea.
Also when you are in fight camp and only have smaller/less skilled guys than you, another way to push yourself is to have guys switch out on you and shark tank you. So that they get a full rounds rest and you only get the 1 minute break.
Gabriel Varga has a video on that I think we’re he mentions how he’s the best on his team so he has guys switch on him to really push him and his conditioning. He also sometimes spars or hits pads for 4 minutes instead of 3 to really push himself

Yeah man good stuff…
Also when you are in fight camp and only have smaller/less skilled guys than you, another way to push yourself is to have guys switch out on you and shark tank you. So that they get a full rounds rest and you only get the 1 minute break.
Gabriel Varga has a video on that I think we’re he mentions how he’s the best on his team so he has guys switch on him to really push him and his conditioning. He also sometimes spars or hits pads for 4 minutes instead of 3 to really push himself[/QUOTEI will look into trying to get some sparring somewhere else, because at my current gym I still don’t think I will be pushed enough to survive under fire even though we try to shark tank me, most guys at my gym are very hesitant to engage because of the size and skill difference :)!
Yeah man good stuff…
Gabriel Varga has a video on that I think we’re he mentions how he’s the best on his team so he has guys switch on him to really push him and his conditioning. He also sometimes spars or hits pads for 4 minutes instead of 3 to really push himself
I will look into trying to get some sparring somewhere else, because at my current gym I still don’t think I will be pushed enough to survive under fire even though we try to shark tank me, most guys at my gym are very hesitant to engage because of the size and skill difference :)!

Back