My journey to become a professional fighter

MMA

(I was sick today very bad throat ache and a small fever in the morning but didn't want to skip training for it so toughed it out)
-1 hour beginners.
-1 hour advanced. Did this drill where me and 3 other people stood in the corners, and then the other guys would rotate around so we would have to face a fresh guy each round, this was very tiring, especially since I was a bit sick.

LISS

-Was just drained after MMA, wanted to go home and sleep, so will do LISS on Saturday.

________________________________________ _______________________________

Sleep: 9 hours
BW: ?
3 sets of COC#1.5: COMPLETE
5 sets of 8 chin-ups: COMPLETE
Recovery workout: INCOMPLETE
Diet: COMPLETE

5-3-1 Cycle 13 Week 4 (Deload)

-Deadlifts 1 x 5 x 65kg
1 x 5 x 75kg
1 x 5 x 92.5kg
-Military press 1 x 5 x 25kg
1 x 5 x 30kg
1 x 5 x 37.5kg
-High-bar Squat 1 x 5 x 52.5kg
1 x 5 x 67.5kg
1 x 5 x 80kg
-CGBP 1 x 5 x 40kg
1 x 5 x 50kg
1 x 5 x 60kg

Sleep: 8.5 hours

Well, drunk and easy, anyway. And how is your secret agent stuff going sir?

Yeah, the hotness often comes from flattering lights, being drunk yourself and, as you get older, them just being younger.

No secret agentry for me right now. Think Bond while he is hanging out on the beach in Skyfall when everyone thinks he's dead.

LISS

-43 minute swim. Was gonna go for an hour but there was water-polo on so I got kicked out :(

MMA

-Skipped this today, had a late night Friday due to a girl and decided to sleep in on Saturday. I could've easily made training, but I was tired and lazy, so for the first time since I got here, I missed an MMA session. Never doing that again, felt guilty the rest of the weekend as I could've easily made training.

Sleep: 10 hours
Recovery workout: FOAM ROLLED

Jiu Jitsu

Worst session of my life, must've got tapped about 12 times total, just wasn't there. For technique we did getting someone's back then applying choke number 1, then we did getting someone's back and applying choke number 1 and when the other person defends by pulling our arm towards them we use their momentum to apply a rear-naked choke. Don't wanna talk about the rolling, just a disaster. I'm so dissapointed and angry and sad, this is my life, haven't felt like this in ages, I'm probably overreacting but really feel like utter shit. It fucking sucks to fail this much at something I want so bad, and work so hard to achieve. Edit: But, in a weird way, this makes me feel so alive, like I went to battle and was defeated. It's how I deal with these moments that will determine if I reach my dreams or not, and there will be many, whether I'd like to admit it or not. Tomorrow I need to come back stronger, more ferocious, more driven to ensure this never happens again. I know my plan is solid, I believe in it, so all I've 'gotta do is stick to it, and give everything I do my utmost dedication and focus, eating, sleeping, lifting, rolling, sparring, foam rolling, stretching, I will do everything better and more often than my rivals and I will be the best at this!

“It is inevitable that some defeat will enter even the most victorious life. The human spirit is never finished when it is defeated...it is finished when it surrenders.”

Was re-reading my log and caught this little gem... Spent the last 15 minutes just continuously cringing and facepalming at myself. How was this 10 months ago? Seriously considered deleting it and killing everyone who saw it, but instead decided to put it up here as a reminder of what a giant douchebag I was and that I must never go back.

Edit: Ugh the quote at the end ajnfaksbgjshabgrhjsbtgssajg WTF

We all have days like that moyy. just think about how far you've come since that post!

Last edited:
Throws, jumps

-Overhead backwards throw 3 x 3 (PR ~17m)
-Double response broad jump 4 x 2 (best jump was around 5m, my all-time PR is 523cm so have some work to do here, mostly technique that was holding me back)

5-3-1 Cycle 14 Week 1

-Squats 1 x 5 x 55kg
1 x 5 x 70kg
1 x 3 x 82.5kg
1 x 5 x 87.5kg
1 x 5 x 102.5kg
1 x 5 x 115kg (pretty easy, will push it a bit more on the 3's and 1's week as I don't like going over 5 reps much)
-Power cleans 1 x 3 x 82.5kg
4 x 3 x 85kg (these were decent, not as good as they have been here as I'm off-balance backwards when I catch the bar sometimes, and elbows aren't coming through fast enough other times)
-Good morning 1 x 10 x 45kg
1 x 10 x 55kg
1 x 10 x 65kg (this was unpleasant)
-Hanging leg raises (feet to bar) 1 x 15 x BW (this is probably a PR in how easy it was, the only reason I didn't go for more was because my hands were in pain from gripping the bar)
2 x 12 x BW
1 x 15 x BW (really need to get some straps or something for this as it's awful)

Submission Wrestling

-Couldn't make it to this as had to help a friend with his essay, tried to schedule a free-rolling session but noone was interested, also tried to schedule a private but couldn't get in touch with the coach.

Sleep: 7 hours
Recovery workout: Static stretched

Last edited:
Was re-reading my log and caught this little gem... Spent the last 15 minutes just continuously cringing and facepalming at myself. How was this 10 months ago? Seriously considered deleting it and killing everyone who saw it, but instead decided to put it up here as a reminder of what a giant douchebag I was and that I must never go back.

Edit: Ugh the quote at the end ajnfaksbgjshabgrhjsbtgssajg WTF

lol, melodrama FTW. Looks like you are consistently working hard and I agree with LA, time for a ammy fight.

Judo

-It was grading today and I couldn't be arsed learning japanese and doing a little dance just to then have to buy a new belt so I skipped it.

LISS

-45 minute swim. Pretty awesome rhythm throughout, so much more energy when I do it fresh before any training.

Private MMA Session

-Focussed on leg-locks, which is my first time actually doing them since my old JJ school you only started working them at purple belt. Started off with a basic footlook but a variation where you fall back far away and lock your knees together rather than crossing your leg over his leg, this makes it harder for him to defend as he cannot pull us towards him as we'll be too far. Afterwards worked the basic leg-lock when opponent is standing, put both feet on hips, then put one of your knees in so that it's almost on his knee with feet still on hips, then underhook that leg and shoot other leg around high to get as high a knee-bar as possible (important to underhook very tight and to put hips high so it's tight). Afterwards did another leg-lock variation where you basically go to pass his guard so he separates his legs to try and control your speed, you take inside leg, step over grab the leg and fall back inside ontop of his other leg (this is to stop him from being able to escape by pushing your ass). Afterwards did the same thing but from standing when he has your back, shuffle around so one of his legs is between your legs, then underhook it with opposite arm and roll onto that shoulder and take the leg. Afterwards learnt to do heel-hooks and toe-holds which I'd never gone over. Also did some crazy rolly ones and watch some Imanari videos.

Sleep: 8 hours
Recovery workout: Static stretching

Private MMA Session

-Worked on GNP, learnt a few different things. Firstly how to control someone when you're in their guard, you sit on your heels and sort of hump your hips forward, then extend out 1 arm on his chest and control him like that, if he tries to break your posture by pushing your arm off, you put your other arm on his chest and alternate in this way. Afterwards did general GNP strategy, basically pushing his arms with your elbows locked (so you're not muscling it) and crossing them ontop of each other while pushing his face, put all your weight on him and keep crossing and changing. Afterwards did a control from side-mount where you lift your knee and put it on his near arm, pinning it to the ground, afterwards put your head on the floor infront of his arm effectively isolating him, and punch/elbow in the face. Afterwards did a few things from guard where you basically stand up then start pushing into his hips and punching, then did similar thing from standing, basically control his legs and move forward putting your hips forward and punching, when he counters with pushing his legs, let him push move out of the way and land in side-mount or at worse half-guard. Afterwards did the Anderson Silva GNP thing where he grabs 1 foot and passes it to opposite hand then punches to avoid up-kicks.

Throws

-Scoop throw 3 x 3
-Rotational throw 2 x 3 (didn't do last set as was pressed for time)

5-3-1 Cycle 14 Week 1

-Bench press 1 x 5 x 45kg
1 x 5 x 55kg
1 x 3 x 67.5kg
1 x 5 x 72.5kg
1 x 5 x 82.5kg
1 x 5 x 95kg (had 1 more in me, 2 at most, not so happy with this)
-Front squat 1 x 5 x 37.5kg
1 x 5 x 47.5kg
1 x 3 x 57.5kg
1 x 5 x 62.5kg
1 x 5 x 72.5kg
1 x 5 x 85kg (misload, was supposed to be 82.5kg, but did it anyways)
-Power snatch 3 x 3 x 50kg (cut out last 2 sets due to being pressed from time as I was dis-organized today with my studies/mma/lifting and had to rush things a lot)
-Weighted dips (sort of supersetted these with power snatches due to lack of time) 1 x 10 x BW
1 x 10 x BW+2.5kg
1 x 10 x BW+12.5kg
-Pendlay rows 1 x 10 x 45kg
1 x 10 x 55kg
1 x 10 x 65kg
-Side planks 6 x 60sec x BW (3 each side, this is a PR as I started off at 30 seconds, then 45, and now 1 minute)

LISS

-Already did this earlier this week.

MMA

-1 hour beginners. (Skipped this to save myself for tournament :p)

Club tournament

-Since it was the last training before christmas (I'm going back to Portugal in 2 days) the club ran an internal tournament both in grappling and in MMA (no weight classes). In the grappling tournament I did 6 matches and won all of them by submission to take the tournament. In the MMA I fought 4 matches and won 2 by submission and 2 by "points" (was just in top position pounding people). Pretty fun stuff, I really missed competing, even in such a watered down version.

Recovery workout: INCOMPLETE (I might still do it later today)

New cycle training maxes (re-starting very light with everything):

Squat – 132.5kg
Deadlift – 157.5kg
Bench Press – 110kg
Military press – 60kg
Pendlay row – 92.5kg
Close grip BP – 100kg
Weighted dip – No dips this cycle as I have no dip station in Portugal.
Good morning – 92.5kg
Power clean – 5 x 3 x 85kg
Front squat – 95kg
Standing broad jump - Best jump this cycle was around ~260cm. (keeping these for another cycle then moving back up to standing double response broad jumps and standing triple response broad jumps).
Double response broad jump -
Triple response broad jump -
Box jump - ~100cm (max box is 90cm atm, so I'm not sure what I'm gonna do )
Depth jump – Not doing these this cycle

Week 1
military press

Last edited:
(last day before going back to Portugal for Christmas, training there will resume as normal except I'll most likely be taking this weekend off as I'm travelling all day tomorrow and not sure if I'll have time to train once I get home. Also will probably just feel like relaxing with my mum and my dog)

Jumps, throws

-Box jumps onto ~90cm box 5 x 3
-Overhead backwards throws 3 x 3 (PR ~17.5m)

5-3-1 Cycle 14 Week 1

-Deadlift 1 x 5 x 65kg
1 x 5 x 80kg
1 x 3 x 95kg
1 x 5 x 102.5kg
1 x 5 x 117.5kg
1 x 12 x 135kg (I had scheduled a deadlift head to head competition with my friend for today, so we basically set-up the bar with 135kg (which was my scheduled weight) and did 1 rep each, we got to 12 and even though it was very easy (literally had about 10-20 more reps in me somehow) we called it as we only had 20 minutes to complete the rest of the workout. So we tied... for today, we will do it again next term at some point) (PR)
-Military press 1 x 5 x 25kg
1 x 5 x 30kg
1 x 3 x 37.5kg
1 x 5 x 40kg
1 x 5 x 45kg
1 x 5 x 52.5kg
-High-bar squat 1 x 5 x 55kg
1 x 5 x 70kg
1 x 5 x 82.5kg
-CGBP 1 x 10 x 50kg
1 x 10 x 60kg
1 x 10 x 70kg
-Decline sit-ups 1 x 15 x BW+15kg
1 x 15 x BW+15kg
1 x 12 x BW+20kg
1 x 12 x BW+20kg

(did the last 4 exercises in under 20 minutes, everything was basically supersetted, pretty crazy that I managed to finish)

Recovery workout: INCOMPLETE (I might still do it later today)

On another positive note, scored an 18/20 on my end of semester contract law test! (Online open book test so doesn't mean much but still happy)

Last edited:
Travelling

-Was travelling all day back to Portugal as plane was late and didn't have time/energy to go train afterwards. Damn I missed my mum and my dog! Had both of them and the rest of my family/friends entourage waiting for me at the airport, apparently I'm paler, skinnier and I look dirty. Good times.

Sleep: 4 hours
Diet: INCOMPLETE (had bacon and saussages at the airport in addition to normal breakfast, and also had 1 piece of bread with melted mozarella, tomato and basel when I got home)

Last edited:
(had a million things to do today and also being home with family/friends for the first time in months this was probably one of the days with lowest motivation to work-out I've ever had to deal with, nevertheless I got in there and got shit done)

Throws, jumps

-Overhead backwards throw 3 x 3 (threw the ball to the balcony like 6 times, I'm stronger than when I left 3 months ago, that's for sure)
-Double response broad jumps 4 x 2

5-3-1 Cycle 14 Week 2

-Squat 1 x 5 x 55kg
1 x 5 x 70kg
1 x 3 x 82.5kg
1 x 3 x 95kg
1 x 3 x 107.5kg
1 x 5 x 120kg
-Power cleans 2 x 3 x 82.5kg
3 x 3 x 85kg
-Good mornings 1 x 8 x 55kg
1 x 8 x 65kg
1 x 6 x 75kg (this was relatively tough, will probably keep training max the same for next cycle)
-Russian twist 1 x 40 x BW+15kg
1 x 40 x BW+15kg
1 x 30 x BW+20kg

Jiu Jitsu

-My motorbike is all fucked up from being inactive for 3 months so had to go to the mechanic, also had to go see friends and family. Will probably be unrealistic to do 2-a-days everyday at this point, but will try get at least a few in every week.

Sleep: 9.5 hours
BW: 84.2kg (this scale is slightly over, and the scale at my gym at Uni is slightly under, as it tells me I'm 80kg, I'd say I'm between 82-82.5kg.)

LISS

-Will do this on Thursday as it's my birthday and I won't be able to make the skill-training session as I'm having dinner with friends!

Muay Thai

-45 minute "TIREYOUOUTASMUCHASPOSSIBLE" circuits (I was hoping this had changed, as it was supposed to be a start of the season thing, but it seems it's just been accepted as part of every session, so I won't be going back to this). Afterwards did 4 rounds of boxing, first 2 rounds alternating who attacks and who defends and last 2 rounds sparring. After the session was over I stayed with instructor and drilled kicks on the bag, he said they were much improved!

Sleep: 9.5 hours
Diet: COMPLETE (though in making my red-meat for lunch I wasn't used to my house's super intense gas stove and so I burnt all the onions/garlics and the burgers were burnt on the outside and raw on the inside. Was trying to show my mum my newly acquired cooking skills; great success.)

Throws

-Scoop throw 3 x 3 (PR)
-Rotational throw 3 x 3 (PR)
(I'm definitely way stronger on these than when I left, using the same medicine ball in the same place I am throwing it 2-4m further)

5-3-1 Cycle 14 Week 2

-Bench press 1 x 5 x 45kg
1 x 5 x 55kg
1 x 3 x 67.5kg
1 x 3 x 77.5kg
1 x 3 x 90kg
1 x 4 x 100kg (I actually did 5 reps but spotter helped last one and I wasn't sure I could've done it alone so I'll just count it as 4)
-Front squat 1 x 5 x 40kg
1 x 5 x 50kg
1 x 3 x 60kg
1 x 3 x 67.5kg
1 x 3 x 77.5kg
1 x 4 x 87.5kg
-Power snatch 5 x 3 x 50kg (probably my best power snatch technique technically)
-Pendlay rows 1 x 8 x 55kg
1 x 8 x 65kg
1 x 6 x 75kg
-Dragon flags 1 x 5 x BW
2 x 4 x BW
1 x 3 x BW

Jiu Jitsu

-Haven't had time to go there and sign up for Jiu Jitsu yet.

BW: 83.9kg

Back