* My Interview with Guy Mezger on McGregor/Diaz *

Negative Zero

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I was visiting Dallas and decided to stop by Guy Mezger's gym and see if I could get his thoughts on the fight. He gave me a full interview and we ended up talking for over half an hour.

Here's his thoughts on the fight. Hope you guys enjoy!

It's pretty long, so you may want to listen to as a podcast if you prefer.

Last edited:
Wow, you've been busy lately regarding this fight! Thanks for posting.

Did you ever try and look up that blonde chick from the other video you did? You know the one, she was ready to eat you up!

Wow, you've been busy lately regarding this fight! Thanks for posting.

Did you ever try and look up that blonde chick from the other video you did? You know the one, she was ready to eat you up!
Well I live less than a mile from Rooster Teeth headquarters. I may just go down and thank them for the interview.

EDIT: And yeah, this might be the biggest fight of all time (ppv wise), so I want to do some videos for it

Well I live less than a mile from their headquarters. I may just go down and thank them for the interview.
Watched most of the vid, Mezger was pretty accurate saying that neither Conor nor Nate are 'great boxers' - they are good in an MMA context though.

You gave him a few thought provoking phrases and kept him going, good work.

Watched most of the vid, Mezger was pretty accurate saying that neither Conor nor Nate are 'great boxers' - they are good in an MMA context though.

You gave him a few thought provoking phrases and kept him going, good work.
Thanks man!

Nice! Thanks for sharing.

0RY5Cck.jpg

Alright, so I just got to the end. Is that you playing guitar TS?

very cool just watched =) being a old skool mma fan, was very cool to see a interview with Guy . One thing he said rings sooooo true with me, there is so much mma now a days sometimes its hard to get excited sometimes. I love mma but I do remember back in the day when there was like one event every couple months I looked forward to it way more. But again great interview subbed to your channel =)

Unfortunately, some of the stuff he says reveals he doesn't really know what he's talking about.

"Diaz isn't the greatest jiu jitsu guy, but he makes it work in the octagon because he's a great fighter." Wut? He's an elite BJJ guy.

"Diaz rarely ever loses..." his record is 19-10. He's 3-3 in his last 6 fights.

And I only watched two minutes.

very cool just watched =) being a old skool mma fan, was very cool to see a interview with Guy . One thing he said rings sooooo true with me, there is so much mma now a days sometimes its hard to get excited sometimes. I love mma but I do remember back in the day when there was like one event every couple months I looked forward to it way more. But again great interview subbed to your channel =)
Yeah I never complain about extra events but it really does take a fight like this to reignite that old school excitement for an event. Appreciate you.

Haha! I actually liked it. I think its pretty cool you used it.
Thanks!

Unfortunately, some of the stuff he says reveals he doesn't really know what he's talking about.

"Diaz isn't the greatest jiu jitsu guy, but he makes it work in the octagon because he's a great fighter." Wut? He's an elite BJJ guy.

"Diaz rarely ever loses..." his record is 19-10. He's 3-3 in his last 6 fights.

And I only watched two minutes.
Yeah the jiu jitsu statement was the thing I disagreed with him the most about, but perhaps his standard for "great" is "accomplished in that sport", which, to my knowledge competition-wise, Nate isn't. Though his skill is evident in the ring.

Near the end he says he likes Nate a lot and always roots for him. So at the very least that statement didn't come from any bias, if that matters.

"Diaz isn't the greatest jiu jitsu guy

He's not quite there yet.
He's tied with Royce Gracie for the most submission wins with 11.
After he taps Conor, he should point out to everyone that Royce is no longer the best submission artist in the UFC... and call him out.

Back