1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

My Inner Dilemma

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by SAMURAI SPIRIT, Jan 18, 2020.

1. SAMURAI SPIRIT Blue Belt

I am 44 and just returned back to the mat after an ankle injury sustained during BJJ. My thoughts are all over the place and focus is off so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I am a blue belt in BJJ and prior to getting into grappling, I was doing Kyokushin Karte. I was pretty set in my ways as a bare knuckle knock down fighter as that was the closest thing to my fighting instincts. Stand and bang! I got into BJJ expecting a fill a hole in my game. I was inspired by Royce Gracies early UFC days and was convinced that my striking would mean JACK if I get taken down. I guess I went into BJJ expecting a more direct combat application. Modern BJJ is a sport and while I feel like I have filled a hole in my game, I am no longer seeing a direct relevance to actual combat.

Part of my want to say my "thanks" to BJJ and return back to striking and Muay Thai. I have been out of that since such a long time that it make take a while to get my strikers reflexes back. I do believe that I am a better striker than a grappler. I am torn.

For the remainder of the years ahead of me, would my time be better utilized doing Muay Thai? I am not sure if there are any old man tournaments out there but I would love to kick someone. Another part of me says keep grappling. You are 44 and when you are 54, your only way to stay connected to martial arts would be to teach what you have learnt. You are not thinking about that now but a BJJ black belt stays longer on the mat than Muay Thai fighter stays in the ring. BJJ is also more marketable / teachable than Muay Thai. A BJJ black belt ultimately retires by running a class somewhere or a school somewhere while a Muay Thai fighter goes out of the game after 50. Unless you have a major competition record, you are not very marketable in the Muay Thai circles.

I thought BJJ would be easier on the body as you age but my injury changed my perspective on things. I was off the mat for a full year and while I have taken a lot of beating in bare knuckle Kyokyshin, nothing put me out of commission for that long. I have no idea how many years are ahead of me but I would like to know what would be the best martial arts time investment. BJJ or Muay Thai.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

2. Frode Falch Steel Belt Professional Fighter

Never done grappling for a longer periode. But its clearly more and worse injuries in BJJ / submission grappling training.. compared to striking training.

3. SandisLL Brown Belt

None of them. Sadly.
    Health is more worth.

-
    Regards to coaches for another arts, not small ammount of A+++ level coaches didn't had sound worldwide known fighting etc accomplishments. Yes, competition records, achievments but for modern internet not that notable.
    Maybe try som h2h related stuff, like for SD applications.
    For fun.

4. trendnick Green Belt

DO that what brings more fun to you. Also at bjj you risk more deep injury at practicing.

5. Dexter Blue Belt

I’m 38, was in boxing for almost 19 years with a one-year trips to MT and wushu. Now I’m in combat sambo/mma, the level of injures are far greater then in pure striking arts, and mostly from unfortunate events in grappling training. From my and my buddies experiences, boxing is the best variant for older athletes, but Kyokushin will also do, especially if you discuss your training regime with your coach. No matter where you go, do not rush or try to compete with youngsters - it’s not a racing game, no need to prove anything to these whelps :).