My improvement--- All thanks to the people on this forum---

NYC1990

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm in my second week in BJJ, and I just want to post up the little progress I made so far. A week ago I had made a post, in that post I pointed out some of my negative approaches (mental and physical) towards BJJ; such as being belt orientated, I wanted to get my blue belt as soon as possible, not being able to leave my ego at the door, I was more focused on winning then learning the technique necessary to become a successful bjj fighter; so when sparring I was too aggressive and I was using a lot of strength in my desperate attempt to win, which just got me tired.:icon_lol:

After reading some of the the suggestions and comments people made in my previous thread, I want to say, thank you to those people because you guys really helped me out.

I'm working on changing my approach . No longer is my goal to get a blue belt as soon as possible. Instead I made a day to day goal, which is to leave my Bjj school knowing I learned something new-- Because if it was all about belt color then everyone would be walking around with their $5.99 black belt they got from their local martial arts store as though they are tuff shit.

Rank is the result of practice and determination, and not the other way around. With that said, I am learning to restrain myself from using strength and focus more on controlling my opponent with the basic techniques I already know. Also in an attempt to rid myself of my ego, sooner then later. I purposely allow my opponent to get me into submissions, so this way I can experience the unfavorable situation, learn from it, ask questions, and in the process work on leaving my ego at the door.... which I think I finally have. :icon_chee Its been less then 2 weeks and I already see my ground game getting better, wow lol

Anyway, I'm so glad I found this forum!!!!!`!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I'm working on changing my approach . No longer is my goal to get a blue belt as soon as possible. Instead I made a day to day goal, which is to leave my Bjj school knowing I learned something new-- Because if it was all about belt color then everyone would be walking around with their $5.99 black belt they got from their local marital arts store acting as though they are tuff shit.

I don't know what it is, but I have a huge problem with this segment.

Congratulations on your epiphany. your post is good and shows the right attitude. Now, just stick with the training.

BTW, I have a black belt in Marital Arts, but it cost way way more than $5.99.

Congratulations on your epiphany. your post is good and shows the right attitude. Now, just stick with the training.

What martial art?

Marital arts will run ya a pretty penny, I'm guessing.

I'm glad that you could take some of the constructive criticism and turn it to your favor! Continue training

I don't know what it is, but I have a huge problem with this segment.

Now that i'm looking at it, I also have a huge problem with that segment---I blame spell check, well technically I should blame myself for misspelling "martial' arts in the first place :redface:

Back