My highkick..

They don't have enough weight in them to enable you to kick through
them at full power. The bastards move too much.
A good Thai pad holder who meets the full force of your kick
with an opposing force (the pads) is want you want.
(Should make it clear though I'm talking MT roundhouse).

Good to know, thanks!

No problemo.

Oh, and when you partner up with a Thai pad holder
make sure they can handle the full force of your kick.
If they cannot then you wont have confidence in the pad holder
which will lead to bad habits.

Good luck!

My kicks are nowhere near strong enough to cause problems for the guys at my gym, so I haven't had to worry about that yet :p

After throwing several thousand kicks into the Thai pads at full
power they will think you are swinging a baseball bat into them.
(Over a period of time lol)

Keep your left hand up! And when you kick don't put so much emphasis on leaning back, it takes alot of power out of the kick and leaves you a bit off-balance when you plant your kicking foot down again.

Last edited:
Not that I would expect anyone on sherdog to duplicate perfectly the technique of a Lumpinee Champion, but IMO this is perfect form right here:

416c917894fd.jpg

Thanks. i think the best advice i got from this tread, was to not lean back so much. gonna start working on that asap!

Yeah you shouldn't lean back if your flexibility allows you not to. It feels like an unnatural thing to do at first, but brings a variety of advantages. But some people are just not flexible enough, no other option but to lean back and hope for better times then.

Why's that?

I don't have any advice, but one question - my coach taught me that, instead of throwing the right arm (or left arm, for left kick) all the way down, you should stop it abruptly so that your fist is pointed towards their face, as this blocks their vision and often confuses them. But I don't really see people doing that outside of my gym. Is it just a stylistic difference, or not done in MMA because of grappling possibilities, or some other reason?

My coach teaches a variation of this. You lead with a punch combination to get them focusing on the hands, but you leave your hands out and push them back to crowd their vision and move their hands, then throw your kick. It's extremely effective if someone is particularly good at blocking your kicks or moving out of the way. The biggest key is to make sure your push is forceful or they'll just step back and reform thier defense or counter you. Biggest counter is a teep/knee, so be aware.

You need to protect your face when you throw that highkick. Leaves you open for a straight right down the pipe especially if they see you setting up for it, they'll step inside and hit you. Other than that everything looks peachy.

explode your kicks out and get higher on the balls of your feet

ur telegraphing the hell out of that kick. to me, ur kick is in slow motion and i could easily go for a sweep. work on least excess movement as possible.

You need to explode into it like a sprinter who starts a race.
:Thumbshigh: That is my preferred explanation for the mechanics.

I have only taken a few MT classes, so I have a question. When you start the left switch kick, you are squared up and your left becomes your back leg. Is that the best or preferred way of using it? Because I was shown to start from my fighting stance and the switch would bring it out about where you start squared up, then throw it from there. Thanks.

been a while. gonna film a new video this week. So you can see if its gotten any better. Stay tuned

Nice kick, not much to say on it... Though it did look like you started to lose your balance on a few of your kicks which might need work... Otherwise a good high kick.

One thing I would pick it is that you drop your guard when throwing, I'm not sure if your doing that intentionally given that you haven't an opponent in front of you, or if your doing in instinctively and not noticing it.

Edit:
Whoops, I apologise, didn't read the date above and thought it was a new thread. Well I'm looking forward to the new kick.

Edit: Edit: I was reviewing the kick video on the first page and not the one on the current page. The one on this page is a whole lot better but you still drop your guard. Though to be fair, I notice quite a lot do this too when they are practising against the bag.

Last edited:
You still look like you're generating power with with you leg and knee snap, and not really turning your hips over. I know some styles don't kick from the hips. If that's the type of kick you're going for, then it looks good. It's pretty sharp. But if you're going for a high MT-style roundhouse, you're not turning over your hips enough. Whipping your right arm back (in addition to some protection) helps most people with turning their hips over, which is particularly hard with high kicks.

:Thumbshigh: That is my preferred explanation for the mechanics.

I have only taken a few MT classes, so I have a question. When you start the left switch kick, you are squared up and your left becomes your back leg. Is that the best or preferred way of using it? Because I was shown to start from my fighting stance and the switch would bring it out about where you start squared up, then throw it from there. Thanks.

I'd like to offer advice, but I'm having a little bit of a hard time getting what you're saying. Your post is a little unclear, and that's likely why you haven't gotten a response yet.

Iam only seeing to things I would really try an correct with out knowing your kicking style better. First is hip flexability, it is hurting your speed on the high kick and messing with your balance a bit. Second is your recovery, in both videos you are relying on the leg and gravity to do the recovery work which is slowing it down. Instead try to recover the from the hip more. You have a good hip turn in into the bag, try and match that with a hip turnout when you are recovering the leg. This should help both speed and balance.

Back