My highkick..

im no coach but you should definitely crossface your left arm more imo

you need to turn your left foot a little more to generate more speed/power into it, but that's something you can fix easily.

Your left low switch is verrry nice.

Hold your hands a bit higher as well.

Hmm...be easy to judge if you were kicking into Thai pads (bag moves around too much).

^^There's no way he could turn the left foot any more, since it is pretty much turned all the way, 180

You shouldn't fall backwards every time you kick

Thanks guys. And yes, this kick works fine in sparring for me. Just looking for small things to improve if there is any. :)

My kick is not a pure thai-style kick. I came from kung-fu and sanshou before i got into muay thai. But all my trainers didnt care for making any big change to the kick because i get power into this kick.

My only advice would be to not lean so far back while you're throwing the kick, puts you way off balance. I use to do this until my trainer taught me to stay upwards and come forward with the kick instead of sucking power backwards. Whether it's a question of flexibility or not, i'm not sure (leaning back makes things easier) but either way it puts you way off balance if someone counters you with a teep or sees the kick coming and steps in and kicks your support leg out.

Trying to find an example, this is a photo of me throwing a high kick during a fight to explain what i'm talking about possibly. I'm staying upright so I can keep my guard up with my lead hand out a bit to protect the counter and to keep balance.

joshkick.jpg

hello brother,

id like to add for u:

defense
-left hand must be high near the head as defense
-keep head down. this also helps with balance.

movement
-a small side step about with left foot about 45 degree angle will help you adjust to correct position for kicking
- stay in your stance at the begginning of the kick and finish off in your stance. the whole kick is starting in stance and finishing in the stance. imperative.
-spin/pivot on your left ball of foot when executing the kick. it helps with rotational power.

balance
-square up in stance like mentioned earlier.
-keeping head down stops leaning back too much.
-throw right hand down in angle across the body and right leg for counter balance and power ( discussed next )
-again, start off in a good stance and remain balanced an in position at the begginning and ending of the kick.

power
-1st thing , shift your weight onto your left leg diagonally opposite from your right leg and simply do the following next thing:
- thrust the right hip forward ( through the centre line ) and throw right arm back. let your leg GO!
-pivot on left foot at the same time to get more rotational power
-try to chop down, like an arc, to get more power
-lastly, slightly advanced but you can small step forward with your left foot to add even more power but leave that for now.

technique
-turn your hips , shoulder and body into the kick. watch buakaw.
-keep forward/down. dont lean back
-left hand held high and close to side of head for protection against counter kick
-immediatly return back to guard

hope that helps. good training bro

peace

EDIT: stretch more. Your legs, your hips, your LOWER BACK. its vital you stretch cos you dont seem as flexible as u should be right now. keep on stretching brother. peace

IMHO, I am not seeing many issues with it. It looks pretty solid. Sometimes I noticed you seem to be locking out you left kneecap and leg, while in your normal stance, but at best it is ocassionally, and even before the step up to throw the right high round kick. And, that is not related to the kick.

:icon_chee

It's kind of hard to tell from the angles in the video but are you chambering the kick by picking up your knee first and then opening the leg or just kicking with a straight leg? Definitely pick up your knee first and do the swinging motion with a bent leg and try to get your knee across the target while opening your leg. Its much faster, more powerful and more deceptive this way since so many kicks start from the chambered position and your opponent may even drop his guard thinking your going to the body or push kick.

Some videos of cro cop that really show this:
YouTube - Crocop y su HighKick

YouTube - Crocop Highkick Anger
The kicks in both those videos are pretty fast but if you slow it down a bit you should be able to see what I'm talking about.

YouTube - Knocked out! A tribute to Mirko Cro Cop Filipovic.
Theres a still shot here at 12 seconds where hes even made contact yet he still has a bent leg.

Last edited:
It's kind of hard to tell from the angles in the video but are you chambering the kick by picking up your knee first and then opening the leg or just kicking with a straight leg?

This is what I noticed also.

PS. Unearth is the shit! (the band that is)

well i dont know much about kicking... but it looks like your off balance when u kick.. you fall backwards, you lean back.... umm what else.... you have wasted movement after you land your kick. you should be right back in your fighting stance ready to fire off instantly if you have to.

other than that... i dont know shit about kicking. i just know what i hear... and simple common sense things like getting right back to your fighting stance without wasted movement.

Don't waste your time kicking punching bags.
You got to kick either those huge 6ft Thai bags,
or Thai pads with a good pad holder.

Don't waste your time kicking punching bags.
You got to kick either those huge 6ft Thai bags,
or Thai pads with a good pad holder.

Why's that?

I don't have any advice, but one question - my coach taught me that, instead of throwing the right arm (or left arm, for left kick) all the way down, you should stop it abruptly so that your fist is pointed towards their face, as this blocks their vision and often confuses them. But I don't really see people doing that outside of my gym. Is it just a stylistic difference, or not done in MMA because of grappling possibilities, or some other reason?

its a good kick , what about your left high kick and move from side to side and back and forth more on your toes maybe to show the whole package

Why's that?
They don't have enough weight in them to enable you to kick through
them at full power. The bastards move too much.
A good Thai pad holder who meets the full force of your kick
with an opposing force (the pads) is want you want.
(Should make it clear though I'm talking MT roundhouse).

Back