My GUARD PASSING sucks!

Thanks man! That's actually really similar to a pass I know. The biggest difference I can see is that instead of the grip on the collar, I have a grip on the other pant leg as well.

It's a good pass, I just don't have a lot of success with it since, like you say, I don't have the footwork quite down yet :)

No problem man just keep working on it, I was horrible at it when i first started now its my bread and butter.

The biggest thing that helped me is learning that I need a handful of passes for the different situations I end up in. So many times you think, "Oh, I'm gonna hit this great pass I learned today", and then the guy isn't actually giving you that pass.

Rigan's "Art of No Gi Passing" has helped me a lot with this. In particular, I have found his V-pass extremely useful, which can serve as a "pass within a pass" for the situation where the guy is really good at shrimping back in as you start to come around.

also, I would say that with most good opponents you are going to have to chain passes as the first pass is not going to work.

one fact of training is that just as your game is evolving, so are the games of all your class mates. with that said, its critical to not look at guard passing in a vacuum or a series/sequence of techniques. this isn't an exact science but my guard passing improve drastically when i started looking at passing as a journey rather than a goal. i started looking at all the times my go to passes failed and tried to recall what my entire body was doing, how was my weight distributed, what grips did i use/not use etc.

next thing i did was add more technique so that i'd have more options available. then i went out and drilled like a madman. if you can, find someone who's trying to develop their guard becasuse they will be trying to add new wrinkles and do some positional sparring.

good luck

Oh really? Because the problem I see with white belt passing is their desperate attempts to control their opponents legs, while not knowing how to stop the hips from moving.

Gotta control the legs before you can control the hips.

Thanks everybody! I'm definitely motivated as hell to improve every aspect of my game. Your input is highly appreciated.

A really overlooked detail in passing is footwork. Everyone is so worried about what there hands are doing but they pay no attention to there feet.Give this pass a try its my best pass.

YouTube - Saulo Ribeiro, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Revolution 2, The X-Pass

I tried out this pass during class this evening and actually had some success with it. I passed the guard of the less experienced guys very easily. I did manage to pull it off on one of my favorite training partners which is a blue belt. But I also managed to get armbarred due to me being too eager to hold his collar while doing the pass :)

I usually bait my opponent into opening his guard, you know give him an arm or lower my head into his belly, once I see an opening, SHAZAAAAAM!!!! I knee slide over his leg and wouldnt ya know!! I'm in side control.... I'm a masterbater... I mean master baiter:)

I usually bait my opponent into opening his guard, you know give him an arm or lower my head into his belly, once I see an opening, SHAZAAAAAM!!!! I knee slide over his leg and wouldnt ya know!! I'm in side control.... I'm a masterbater... I mean master baiter:)

I Lolled! :icon_lol:

One tid bit i learned that really improved my guard passing was the simple technique of putting my knee up right after I broke someones closed guard open (or if they are playing open guard with me).

Putting your knee up prevents your opponent from closing his guard around you again. In addition, if your elbow is tight and connected to your knee then you will be able to stiffle most submission attacks. There is NOTHING more annoying then having some1 on top of you who has great base and has his knee up to stop you from closing your guard or submiting them. From there you can try many different guard passes. It's important also to really take your time when trying to pass. A lot of newer white belts tend to try and rush their attacks. Learning how to shut down your opponent and take your time will prove to be a valueable asset.

On a final note, when you get into some1's half guard, it is VERY important that you flatten them out before you try to pass. The best way to do that is to "cross face" them. The key to having a great half guard is to be able to sit up on your side. Therefore they key to PASS the half guard is to not elt your opponent sit on their side.

With more and more practise, you will get better and you will start connecting your BJJ

One tid bit i learned that really improved my guard passing was the simple technique of putting my knee up right after I broke someones closed guard open (or if they are playing open guard with me).

Putting your knee up prevents your opponent from closing his guard around you again. In addition, if your elbow is tight and connected to your knee then you will be able to stiffle most submission attacks. There is NOTHING more annoying then having some1 on top of you who has great base and has his knee up to stop you from closing your guard or submiting them. From there you can try many different guard passes. It's important also to really take your time when trying to pass. A lot of newer white belts tend to try and rush their attacks. Learning how to shut down your opponent and take your time will prove to be a valueable asset.

On a final note, when you get into some1's half guard, it is VERY important that you flatten them out before you try to pass. The best way to do that is to "cross face" them. The key to having a great half guard is to be able to sit up on your side. Therefore they key to PASS the half guard is to not elt your opponent sit on their side.

With more and more practise, you will get better and you will start connecting your BJJ

Thanks for the input!

Flattening out my opponent while in their half guard is something that I need to start focusing on... sometimes I am just a little too eager to pass, like you say I don't take my time :)

I can get a a pretty mean crossface going on... I need to start utilizing it better in half guard. I usually just use it to prevent my opponent from turning into me in side control and to prevent them from getting on their side while mounted.

I'm no expert, but guard passing is probably the best part of my game. I don't really try to do any particular pass and I don't think of passes as certain techniques, like an armbar from guard or somethign. I try to keep certain postures and apply cetain pressures depending on what my opponent is doing. One thing I always try to fight for, wether in a combat base, or standing is inside position. Grips on the inside of the legs, grabing the pant if gi, and I try to grab at the top of the shin near the knees no gi. If I can control his inside, I think I have a decent chance of passing. I try and keep my posture good-head up, elbows tight to body.

Once I have my grips, it depends on what he is doing. If he is pushing hard against my grips maybe I'll slide my hands under and pass like that. If he is pushing real hard I'll try to zone his legs out and go around. Most of the time I'll try to put his legs one side of center or another as he fights the grips, I'll try to sprawl on his legs and smash his hips and then pass around to his back side. Mostly though its about getting that inside control you control the legs, control the hips and all kinds of passes open up.

Half guard I use more structured passes, but first thing I try to do is kill their posture. Flatten them open with my head, or a cross face and fight for that far side under hook. If I win that battle I think odds are with me passing, so that is the battle I'm putting all my effort into.

I really like where you're going with this and want to know more, but I'm finding it a little hard to visualize.

Can you elaborate on 'inside position' and 'zoning out his legs'.

When you are trying to learn passing, going from 0% resistance (dead fish), to 100% (live roll) is not the best way. Get your partner to slowly increase the resistance, until you fail more than you succeed and then back off a little. So that you are succeeding a little more than you are failing. Then drill the rep's at this 80% resistance, building up to full resistance.

practice, practice, practice......knowing how to do any part of the game and executing that part of the game live are not one in the same. Be patient, develop.

Back