My Goal and my path to become a good bjj bluebelt!

when prohibited the use of the knee bar, you can use the exact same set ups and then use the "non-knee bar" as a sweep. Although they may not want you doing that either.

They actually should be alright with it. Come to think of it I could go to 50/50 from there( I never played that position) But I know leglocks are readily available from that position.

I hit a 5X5 workout today. Went really light on squats because of my back. Felt weak in my chest workout also. But my back feels good so that is what I am most happy about.

Squats
135X5x5

Bench Press
135X5
225X5
225x5
225X5
225X5

Rows
135X5X5

Hopefully will be back at bjj tomorrow.

February 24, 2011

Today we went over a takedown from stand up. Pull someone close to you than explode and inside trip your opponent's right leg with your right leg. Push and pull down at the same time when going for takedown.

We also went over obtaining the mount position from side control. Switch hips-clear out opponent's right arm-knee on belly-knee goes toward opponent armpit- slap knee on mat- mount.

On the rolling session.

I went up against a smaller 1 stripe purple and jumped closed guard on him. I did a descent job with controlling his posture. I let him get a hold of my wrist lapel and he used that to stand up. We than ended up in a weird position like a north south with me facing the ground and I had control of his right ankle with my left hand. He had a good grip on my rt hand lapel ( I was trying to break free of that grip and than it would have been toe hold city) He than ended up getting my back somehow with a single hook. And we were there for a while. I never felt in any danger of being submitted and finished the round with him mounted on top of me.

My next opponent was a 1 stripe blue who outweighs me by 25 pounds who isn't the most technical guy in the world but goes really hard and has good cardio. He basically got the better piece of me because he went 100%. When I roll with guys like this will work on upping my cardio and being very agressive with them. I jumped guard on him and my guard isn't that impressive with big guys. Last week when I single legged him I dominated the match by being mounted on my opponent the whole time. I will probably have to take privates to fix my problems in the guard.

My last opponent was a bluebelt who was very tall and rangy. I have never rolled with this guy, but he destroyed me. Toyed with me like a baby. Tapped me with a collar choke. Was throwing up armbars every were. I was completely defenseless. Best bluebelt I have ever rolled with in my life. He is competing at the ibjjf on saturday and I am interested in how he will do.

Saturday February 26,2011

Went to the Ibjjf Chicago to observe the competition! It was great seeing my teammates out there. A few things I learned from observing the Ibjjf was that.

White and Bluebelts= beginner belts.

Purple belt= Intermediate

Brown/black= Advanced

I also learned that competition is all about aggression and being first! Stamina and conditioning is just as important as technique especially at the beginner levels.

It seems like at the advnanced levels all the guys are in good shape.

There are some tremendous purple belts out there such as Evan Gideon. That guy is a beast will be interesting to see how he does at the next levels!

All in all a good time but I have alot of work to do with my weight and my consistency if I am going to compete. I will compete at least twice as a blue. Will not accept my purple if I don,t.

Sunday February 27

Deadlift
135X5
185X5
225X5
275X3
225X5

Military press
95X5
135X5
155X5
175X3
155X5

Pulldowns
5X5

Felt a little weaker than usual but have not deadlifted in a while!

March 1, 2011

Today we went over a hip throw and defense from knee on belly.

The defense from knee on belly is Left hand on opponents belt, Bridge-extend hand-get to side turtle-pull opponent rt foot with rt hand.

In rolling I went up against a newer whitebelt and dominated with sweeps from closed guard. Hit an ezeqiel choke on him and a cross collar choke from mount!

Went up against a bigger bluebelt and I did it again! Rolling toe hold from top of half guard! He left his leg dangling like a piece of meat and had his legs open in bottom of half guard and I took it.

Went up against a strong whitebelt and dominated mounted- and than Cross collar choked him from there. Trumpet Dan's videos have helped my mount tremendously.

One of my problem areas is half guard. I need to start hitting sweeps from there! I always get smothered in the bottom position from there against better guys. And I end up stalling.

I played the top game today and went up against less experienced guys and that is the reason I did well today, but getting those chokes from mount made me very happy.

March 3, 2011

Went over the same thing as on march 1st.

In rolling I rolled with a strong 3 stripe blue and took top position. I stayed in his half guard for a while. I couldn't pass and it felt awkward because I was trying to pass toward my left side! I saw an opportunity for a toe hold and went for one but couldn't get the roll down, ( I should have went for the roll a little more aggressive and this guy has huge legs) From there he got on top of my half guard and I did a good job of not letting him pass although I didn't come close to sweeping.

My second roll was against a smaller 4 stripe whitebelt and I tried to bait him for a collar choke from butter fly! I got in a good grip and used that choke to sweep him. I choked him out with my own gi with a choke I seen on an instructional. Forget the name of the choke.

3rd opponent was against a girl! She was pretty strong and I actually went about 60%. I hit some nice half guard sweeps against her which I was happy with.

My last opponent was a 1 stripe blue and I tried to bait him with a collar choke from butterfly but he was strong and popped out. The whole roll was him on top of my half guard. I let him get the cross face on me also a couple of times which wasn't good. I also had to turtle and go to half guard again to prevent the pass.

I was happy because I worked on my bottom half game and tried some new chokes I never tried before!

Went to the gym this week and lifted 3 times. I did a Chest/back, Shoulders/Arms, Legs split. Felt pretty good this week lifting. Have not had time to update the log will try to update this log more frequently. I have been fairly happy with my bjj as of late.

I developed a rash on my wrist and I assume it could be ring worm and have been treating it as such. It is just about gone and will be on the mats soon. Have not been to bjj for 8 days because of this. Hopfully I will be on the mats by Saturday if not saturday monday.

I got my 3rd stripe on my blue yesterday in fundamentals class.

Today I didn't do well in rolling. I need to work on my Guard retension, will look at Saulo's book if I have time at work. Always look to control arm in scarf hold. Got bridged over because of it!

The main thing I need to work on is getting my closed and open guard up to speed! I also seem to get stuck in turtle some time and need ways to get back to guard from there.

I have not been to bjj in about 10 days. Just got over what appeared to be ringworm! Whatever I had it's gone now!

Will get back to bjj tomorrow. I have been eating a high protein low carb diet the last 2 days and I must say I feel pretty good.

I lifted to today and instead of 5 reps I used 3 reps, that was a nice change of pace. Will expiriment with 3 reps for a while.

April 5,2011

Attended bjj early this moring. To sum up the rolls I rolled with a heavy slow white belt had him mounted, went to ass mount and lost position. Should of used seat belt grip to take his back from there. Ended up in guard were he was very defensive, didn't even try to pass my guard. I need to get better at hitting armbars from closed guard when they put there hands close to my neck.

Next opponent was also a whitebelt got a nice collar choke on him from north south. I had to actually turtle up on him from passing my guard at one point. I turtled retained full guard swept him and arm triangled him from mount.

My next opponent was a 3 stripe blue it was back and forth and I passed his guard a few times and ended up almost hitting a beautiful half guard sweep.

I did a good job of retaining guard from turtle that is what I was most happy about today.

What I didn't like is that I let my 1st opponent escape ass mount.

Have not updated my journal but I have been training a few days a week and lifting. Don't have alot of time to write detail reports but my life numbers have gotten better.

I maxed 280 pounds on the bench, 255 on the squat and 300 on the deadlift. Will look to increase these numbers.

I will write only things that I need to work on after every bjj class. Basically my weaknesses.

On my last class I had a broad shoulder guy locked in for a triangle but didn't have a good angle. He ended up passing my guard. The whole time I wanted to go to omoplata, get a better angle, or armbar and I just couldn't pull the trigger.

Have to work on better guard retention and my open guard also when my legs get opened. My closed guard is much better than it used to be.

A few things I learned from my last bjj class.

When opponent is standing up in your open guard. Sit up with him and make sure you get a grip.

When your going to take the back, put in a shallow hook, if the hook is too deep you kill the mobility of your hips.

Today I tried to play butterfly guard with every opponent and had no success with it.

I hit a nice half guard sweep from half guard.

I hit a tripod sweep.

Took a bluebelts back and caught him in a RNC. Not clean but got the tap. It was almost like a face crush.

Hit a ninja choke, and tapped a Whitebelt because of suffocation and exhaustion.

Today was a good day.

Back