My Goal and my path to become a good bjj bluebelt!

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Graciebarra 847, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Graciebarra 847

Graciebarra 847 Blue Belt

I am a 2 stripe bluebelt at Graciebarra! My goal is to become a good bluebelt and train at least 3 times a week. 4 would be better and 5 would be great! During this time I will also follow a 5X5 strenght training routine twice a week! (Am looking to increase squat and deadlift strength being I am weak in these 2 areas)

2. ItsArun

ItsArun Green Belt

Good luck brother! You could do it for sure...just train smart and work hard.

3. Graciebarra 847

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

October 20, 2010

Today I attended the fundamental classes. The class consisted of me, 2 other bluebelts and about 8-10 whitebelts!

We basically went over some details of the guillotine choke on how to finish.

We also went over a guillotine escape from standing and retaining guard from side control.

Since this was a fundamental class it consisted of positional sparring. I was paired with mostly whitebelts and was able to escape there side control fairly easily. When I was on top I was able to go to mount or submit.

There was a 4 stripe blue who was slightly bigger than me and he was able to bench press me off. Note to self my side control needs to be tighter on stronger guys. We went at again and this time I went from side control to North south and jumped into ass mount. ( I need to work on getting back to side control or mount from ass mount) I hit kneebars from there but in a tournament I would probably work on keeping the dominant position and being that I am a blue I can' Kneebar anyone in a tourny anyway.

Also while I was positional sparring I was able to catch a whitebelt on a triangle upside down as class time ran out. I didn't have it super tight and I think it's time to review my Ryan hall Triangle dvd.

Now it's nap time and if my wife doesn't nag me I may hit a 5X5 workout later. Deadlifts, shoulderpress, chinups.

4. Graciebarra 847

October 21, 2010.

Attended the advance class! We went over on how to prevent and escape the lockdown. Basically you are using both legs and it is kind of hard to explain in this journal.

I felt really tired today and a little sick. We did 3 7-8 minute rounds. I ended up sitting out for one round because of the odd number of people.

My first opponent (a tall skinny 1 stripe bluebelt) we started standing and I pulled guard. Got into a half guard scissor position and we were stalled there for a bit. I ended up getting the top position passed his guard and controlled him for pretty much the whole match. He was making me work however. I went to north south back to side control to knee on belly. I went for a baseball bat choke but he defended it with his arms.

I abandoned the postion and went back to side control. I set him up for an arm triangle from side control. Jumped into mount and was getting ready to jump on other side when he bucked me over. I kept it locked in my guard but was feeling like my arms were going to wear out. I let go and right after The buzzer rang. I asked him if it was tight he said yes and his face was blue.

1. I need to hold the mount better.

2. Look into arm triangles being that I may have missed a detail in finishing it.

My second opponent was against a smaller 150 pound 2 stripe blue. We started standing I took him down. Passed to side and controlled him the whole match from side control to north south. Went to knee on belly for about 10 seconds and he defended against my go to baseball bat choke. Went to north south and reverse mount and controlled him. Went back to northsouth and gave him space and he almost armbarred me and took my back. I turtled and was able able to obtain dominant position again.

1. I have to stay tight in north south especially against flexible
    opponents.

2. Need more options from knee on belly. Need to learn different chokes and combinations.

I give my performance today a B. I wasn't feeling well and felt a little more tired than usual.

5. Graciebarra 847

October 25, 2010.

Today I attended the fundamental class. This is the class that is offered Monday mornings.

We went over an inside legtrip and how to keep distance with the front push kick. Remember to inside trip with the leg your leading with.

Went over a headlock escape when opponent has the scarf hold position. Bridge and If opp posts on hand than you go to take back. If he doesn't your going to bridge once more while bring your hips close to opponents and bridge him over!

The last thing we went over was a spinning armbar from sidemount. Remember to post hand to near hip and spin to northsouth. From there keep tight control and jump to armbar. Remember to pull arm and thumb up when going for armbar.

We did positional sparring from sidemount. For some reason the rolling portion of the class was really short today. I didn't really pick up any details from the rolling portion of it. One thing I can do well is get to my knees against bigger guys from side control. And I did that twice to a 250 pound purplebelt and also retained half guard from side control.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  6. Graciebarra 847

October 26, 2010

Went to the advanced class! We went over half guard bottom.

1. We went over recovering full guard from half guard! Basically you want to bridge into opponent and when you create the space you hip escape, switch legs and retain full guard!

2. We went over a sweep from half guard from getting the underhook. Opponent is on top keep a good posture. Never let opponent get your head and always stay on your side. Get a deep underhook and grab opponents left foot with Rt hand. Make sure to grab toes and go under foot. You will then get deeper and grab left foot with your left hand and switch your hips. Make sure to hold his foot all the way through the sweep!

Rolling part I rolled with 2 opponents.

1st opponent was a bluebelt about 230 pounds. He shot in for the takedown I sprawled and he ended up in turtle. He retained half guard and I passed fairly quickly to side control. I held him in side control and he defended well. Went to knee on belly and went for baseball bat choke and he defended and got to his knees. From
    there I went to his back and stayed heavy. I didn't feel confident in putting my hooks in as he did a good job keeping elbows in. I tried to get a collar grip and he defended that well also. I pretty much controlled him from there and got a hook in as the bell rang.

What I learned from this roll is. I need more options from side control in submitting my opponents.

Need to be more comfortable in taking opponents back when they turtle. I was on top of this guy for 2-3 minutes and couldn't take his back.

My second roll was against a purplebelt who is a solid competitor with some mma fights. We started off from standing and he went for a throw and ended up on top of my half guard. He already had the cross face before I knew what was going on. I went to lockdown just to stall ( I never play this position) and I was not effective. He passed within a minute and got to a tight side control. I tried to get to my knees but wasn't able to.

I ended up retaining half guard again and from there I went for a sweep and it felt like he almost let me have it and I ended up in his half guard. From there he used great posture and I was not able to secure the cross face. I panicked and switched my hips and body away from him. He ended up taking my back from there and the match ended with him controlling me with the hooks in.

What I learned is that.

1. When I switch my hips from half guard I am doing something wrong because this is the second time I have had my back taken from there within a month. Review Riberio series.

2. Good opponents are able to put you in a bad position before I even know what is going on. Work on being faster!

Am thinking about taking private with everything marked red being what I need to work on.

7. MIDMOBOX

MIDMOBOX Telling People things they don't want to know

welcome to the logs

intesting BJJ writeups

8. Graciebarra 847

October 28,2010.

Today we went over the same thing as we went over the last class which was October 26,2010. I will get straight into the the rolling portion of class.

My first rolling session was against a 2 stripe purple belt who is about my size. He jumped guard on me and I passed to his half guard a few times but he was able to go back to open and closed guard. At one point I went to pass on his right side and he had my arm locked up. I than switched over to the other side but still felt I was in danger. I should have probably freed the arm first and than worked on my pass. He got back to guard created some space got to his feet and put me in turtle. From there he took my back and the match finished there.

What I realize when rolling with purple belts is that they always beat me to the grips. Even when I was looking to pass his guard he always had good grips. I need to be more aggressive and fight for position also. It seems like I freeze when I am in turtle. I need to work on guard retention from turtle.

My next match was against a smaller bluebelt. Before we started the match he said he has a bad foot. I hate when guys do that. Anyways he was a typical small guy who loves to play half guard. I was on top and passed to side control. I had his left arm trapped with my right arm and was trying to work for a kimura but couldn't get the bend on his elbow. He was able to get half guard again and he went to his side and I locked in a 1 arm in guillotine from top. I felt I really didn't have it on that tight but figured let me go for it being he is a small guy and I could possibly muscle the submission.

From there he rocked my base pretty good and I had to let go, and from there he almost took my back a few times and I gave up the sweep. He was on top half guard and from there I got to my knees and was in turtle. From there I took him down to side control and that was how the match ended. I was kind of dissapointed that he swept me being I am a much bigger guy.

I must work on guard retention from turtle.

My last match was against a purple belt who probably outweighs me by 60 pounds. I am a top guy and he didn't want to pull guard so I did and he passed my guard fairly easily. From there he mounted me and got a deep grip on my lapel. He wasn't exactly being nice being that he was grinding his forearm in my face for much of the match(It's a good thing because I have to learn how to deal with that). He had me in mount got a good hold of my arm and he armbarred me.

We went at it again and pretty much the same thing. He mounted me and I when I got to my knees he took my back and ended up flattening me out. He went for a rear naked and I had my chin tucked under but he squeezed the hell out of my chin instead of my neck and I tapped to the pressure.

We went at it again and he pulled guard, I passed his guard but couldn't flatten his back. I could tell this guy is like me and likes to play the top. I controlled him and the bell rang.

Big guys that are 50 pounds heavier are hard to submit and sweep for me from the bottom. I need to find a way however to make them work harder when they are trying to pass. I am kind of dissapointed because I rolled with this guy before and he usually dominates me postionally but doesn't tap me twice in a session like today.

Also these upper belts always find ways to get a good grip on my lapel. I need to learn to put a stop to that.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  9. Graciebarra 847

I have family over for the weekend from out of town. Was not able to go to bjj or hit the weights! My diet has been horrible. Fries, coke, Sugars, for the last 2 weeks. I was eating healthy for about 3 weeks but have been slightly sick for the last 2 weeks and started drinking orange juice. I should have had oranges instead.

Next week I will hit 2 5X5 workouts and go to bjj at least 3 times. Must clean up diet. I weigh 191 pounds in the morning and would like to keep my strength and get down to 175 pounds or so! Next week will be a good week!

10. Graciebarra 847

November 1st 2010

I hit a 5X5 workout today that consisted of Deadlifts, Overhead press, Assisted chinups. Here were my numbers. I am very weak in my legs being that I have never really worked on them. I also never did chinups.

Deadlift
    135X5
    155X5
    185X5
    185X5
    185X5

Overhead press
    135X5
    135X5
    155X5
    175X4 (could have done 5 probably but didn't have spot)
    155X5

Assisted press machine. ( A guy was using the bar that I liked to use and I never do pullups will start next workout!

I pretty much did 5X5 of assisted chinups, not real chinups!

Will increase my deadlift pounds by 5-10 pounds every week. My shoulder press probably won't go up much being that I am not a virgin when it comes to doing shoulder presses. My chinups will be a work in progress! Tomorrow its back to bjj!

11. Graciebarra 847

November 2, 2010

Attended the advanced class and we went over how to go from side control to scarf in certain situations and how to mount from reverse side control! I learned that when you go to scarf hold and someone stiff arms you your going to switch your hips and karate chop his arms down. Pretty basic stuff.

In the rolling portion I went up against a purple belt and I actually passes his guard a few different occasions ( He reguarded a few times) The only problem that I had was I was not able to obtain a comfortable position in side control. Could not get the cross face or get in deep. I get stuck when passing guard against upper belts and am not able to get a comfortable side control. Have to work on setups to get in deep and than get the cross face! Also tried a new half guard pass today and failed miserably. Did it totally wrong. Will switch my hips when I am in that position instead of going for it. When I was in my guard against him I went for a triangle and he easily postured up. My timing was off and I didn't have good control of his arm!

My second match was against the 1 stripe purple I went up against last week. He passed my half guard pretty easy, swept me from his full guard. Had me mounted. He went for an armbar and the match ended with me in his guard. I was a little winded when rolling with him and he had good grips on me when I was in his guard. Should have probably tried a standing guard pass.

All around I didn't do great but I thought I did a good job and picked up a detail on my half guard passing and now I know that I have to get in deep from side control!

12. Graciebarra 847

November 4, 2010

Today we went over on how to clear out the near arm from side control. When you have a cross face on your opp you want to switch your hips and kick back with left knee into opponents humerus. Make sure you trap his humerus deep and from there you will put knee on belly while holding the cross face. Make sure when you pass you point knee towards opponents armpit.

I am still feeling sick. Cough and chest congestion. Rolled twice for 8 minutes. My first opp was originally a 10th planet guy but he has been training with us for a while and is a 1 stripe blue who is very flexible and loves to play guard. The whole match went from me being in his closed to open guard. I am still having trouble with the stiff arm when passing guard. Opponents tend to stiff arm my body or head and it's hard for me to get a deep side control. I am going to try a technique my professor calls the bruce lee karate chop and see if that helps.

Toward the end of the match He had to turtle to avoid the pass. I went to take a break and he did a double leg take down from turtle into my full guard and that was how the match ended. I know I could have done better but I was out of gas and he got that takedown when I was looking for a break!

My second opponent was a new bluebelt and I destroyed him. I tapped him 2 times from americanas from mount and from kimura to armbar from North/South. I even locked up a toe hold on him and he tapped out of fear. The funny thing is I tried to go easy on him after the first tap but he just gave me his arms. I even went to pull guard on him and as I was pulling guard he pulled at the same time which made no sense. I feel bad for tapping a guy that I am bigger, stronger and faster than 4 times in one roll. I hope to pull him to the side one day and help him become a better Bjj practitioner.

I have been feeling under the weather for 2 weeks and hopefully the stuff I picked up today from CVS does the trick. I can't wait to get back on the mats feeling 100%.

13. Graciebarra 847

Hit a 5X5 workout today and these were my numbers.

SQUAT
    95X5
    135X5
    155X5
    175X5
    135X5

I know those are pathetic numbers but since I am a new squats I think I will move up 5-10 pounds a week.

BENCH PRESS
    95X5
    185X5
    225X5
    250X3
    235X5

My weakpoint in my bench press is at the low point of my benchpress. Basically the first 1/3 of my lift.

Chinups

5X5 of chinups.

Started with wide grip and finished with close grip. I always did pull downs and never chinups. I got through 5X5 but it felt very awkward to me and my body didn't feel balanced! I didn't go all the way up a few times. Will stick to these to get stronger at them. When I can do 5X5 close grip with ase than I will move on to wider grip and so on!

I did 2 strength workouts this week and went to bjj class twice. It may seem like it's not enough bjj but I feel like this journal is helping me pickup details in my game. I looked at the pablo papovitch dvd and he has some cool stuff on dealing with the stiff arm when passing guard. Will try to put this in use when rolling with higher belts.

Tomorrow I may run for the first time ever! Will try to run 15 minutes straight without stopping and see how I feel. If time allows and depending on how much I like it I may run 1-2 times a week if I feel it helps my bjj!

14. Graciebarra 847

Never made it to bjj today. I am off today and wanted to go to the night class being that I am sick of sparring with the same 15-20 guys all the time. New sparring partners give you a different look and different ideas on bjj!

This was one of those days were the wife and kid got in the way of that! Anyway I probably have not ran outside in 10 years at least. I am not a cardio guy and decided to go for a run tonight. I did a 20 minute jog and ran as fast as I could for the last minute! So a total of 21 minutes. I will increase it by a minute each time I go for a run.

I guess there is such a thing as a runners high. It feels good. I may start running once or twice a week!

15. Graciebarra 847

November 9, 2010.

Today we went over how to retain guard by keeping foot on opponents hip. We also learned how to hold the spider guard.

We went over being on side control on the bottom and how important it is to always keep a good posture and not let your opponent cross face you or let him get comfortable. After that we went over the bridge and hip escape at the same time to get the guard. This is similiar to what is covered in Saulo's book.

I rolled with a 2 stripe blue, a bluebelt and a blackbelt.

I learned that once again I need to hold mount better! Also need to get better at hitting armbar from mount. I missed a great opportunity for the armbar today.

Be better in the top turtle position. A lot of time I will have a front headlock hold in front of the guy in turtle and stay relaxed instead of going to his back!

I hit a kneebar from reverse mount on a new blue that wasn't expecting it. I must look into ways to go back to side control from reverse mount.

I also learned that there is such a big difference between purple belts and blackbelts. If I have time I will go into more detail about my roll with the black belt.

I also hit a strength workout today being that I have some time off this week and was well rested.

Deadlift
    135X5
    185X5
    185X5
    205X5
    225X5

Shoulder press
    95X5
    135X5
    155X5
    180X4
    155X5

Chinups

I suck at chinups and can't even do full chinups. Basically I can't get all the way up on most of my reps. Will keep working on it however.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  16. Graciebarra 847

next time your in turtle instead of going for sweeps work on going for guard retention! This will benefit your game more!

17. Graciebarra 847

Today we went over the same thing we went over on November 9 with keeping a good posture on the bottom when in side control! It's the same posture as in Saulo's book and the same bridge in recovering guard! It feels like a very effective move when we drill it. We added one more detail to it and this feels like a move that is very effective.

Basically you want to have your right hand on opponents left bicep when there on top side control! From there when your opponent looks to get passed your grip you let him do it and while he is going over your head your going to use your right hand to grip his left elbowand than get to your left elbow and kind of bull him over. Seems like a move that will work fairly well.

I had 3 rolls with 3 good opponents. My first opponent was a 1 stripe blue who I outweigh by about 50 pounds. But man this guy is tough. He swept me from his half guard! I made a mistake being that I tried to flatten him out and pass while he was still on his side. I should not have ever tried to pass being that he had good posture and set me up really good. From there he passed my guard. I than got to my knees and took him down with a single leg and passes his guard to North south. From there he got me in an arm triangle/darce type of move and ended up bridging me off. I was looking to set him up for an americana or kimura while this was happening. The match was back and forth but I wasn't happy being I outweigh him by 50 pounds!

When he trapped my arm I felt uncomfortable but never in danger of tapping!

My second opponent was a 1 stripe blue who loves to pull guard. This time I pulled guard on him and I had to get to my knees to avoid the guard pass! From there he ended up taking my back and had me locked in the body triangle for the majority of that time. Every time I would lay on the correct side to break the body triangle he would switch it over to the other side. Man it was a bad feeling and I thought when is this round going to end. He was working a rare naked choke and almost got it tight but I broke away. He controlled me the whole time and I never came close to escaping.

I need to work on my guard asap! I think I need to take my first private and see how much it would benefit me.

My 3rd roll was against a brown belt. I went for a double leg he stuffed it and went to my back. He than ended up getting the hooks in and ended up armbarring me.

My second roll against the brown I went for a single leg and I thought I had it good and as he was falling he fell into a position for a leg lock. We both had our legs in a sort of 50/50 position but he had the better shot at leglocking me than I did him. My instructor yelled out to him no twisting footlocks and he ended up getting on top of my half guard as the match ended!

Look at videos at mastering the single leg being that I am a top guy and this would be an advantage to learn at tournaments in getting the top position!

It was a great class and I have so much to learn!

18. Corrosion

Corrosion Creonte

Loving this log. Sweet writeups. Keep up the good work.

19. Graciebarra 847

Thanks I noticed ever since I started this blog I am more motivated to work out!

Today I did a 5X5 workout.

SQUATS

95X5
    135X5
    175X5
    155X5
    135X5

Not happy with my squat performance being that I am fairly new to squats and I expect to move up from week to week. I will try a little bit of a wider stance in my next workout!

Benchpress
    135x5
    185X5
    245X5
    255X3
    235X5

Did better than last week.Pretty happy with my performance.

Assisted chinups
    5X5 nothing to rave about here! I did assisted chinups and am going to alternate rows and chinups from now on.

On a side note my weight was 191 a few weeks ago. I have been eating so much crap lately that I wouldn't be surprised if I weigh in at 196-197 pounds.

20. Graciebarra 847

Will probably set up privates after the newyear! My goals in the privates will be to work the weakest part of my game!

1. Need to have better guard retention when going up against better opponents! Also work on some money sweeps! This is something that I need to improve the most. If I go up against a good blue in a tournament it's almost a sure thing my guard is going to get passed!

2. Get better at holding mount and collar chokes! My only effective choke from mount is ezequiel. My front collar choke is non-existant!

3. Knee on belly position. Details in maintaining it!

My #1 goal is to improve my guard!