My girl's friend is a Respiratory Therapist and she's down to 2 days a week

Here in the Bay Area, 53% of hospitals and clinics have laid off or furloughed physicians. 65% have reduce hours. 39% have had to cut salaries. 17% have had to close their practice.
I had to go to a medical centre here in SJ the other day, the place was dead. Absolutely dead. Hated having to go, but there was nothing going on at all.

She's probably tripping over bodies on her way in those 2 days though.

Has she considered switching fields and becoming an abortion doctor? They shut down joint replacement surgery but abortions are "essential" procedures, so they are still getting plenty of work.

My girl is an an opthalmogist and she's been furloughed. Her best friend is an anesthesiologist and also furloughed. My girl's friend is a respiratory therapist and she's down to just working 2 days a week. The hospital she works at has 15 floors. They are so slow that they only have ONE floor open out of the 15. Most doctors and nurses have been laid off.

You would think Respiratory Therapists would be working 7 days a week, but they are barely getting any hours.

Depends where the RT works, in many areas a lot of non essential surgeries have been frozen and until that is loosened many staff involved in surgeries like the anesthesiologist and staff who work in post surgical care will have a low census. Staff involved in public facing outpatient care that has been frozen will also be effected.

Other departments can still be overloaded at the same time though, particularly ICU and ED.

My girl is an an opthalmogist and she's been furloughed. Her best friend is an anesthesiologist and also furloughed. My girl's friend is a respiratory therapist and she's down to just working 2 days a week. The hospital she works at has 15 floors. They are so slow that they only have ONE floor open out of the 15. Most doctors and nurses have been laid off.

You would think Respiratory Therapists would be working 7 days a week, but they are barely getting any hours.

Would be hard to believe if this covid 19 farce was actually true....

I've heard that non-emergency, non-covid cases have slowed down a lot. Most people don't want to be anywhere near a hospital right now if they don't have to be. Also there's no elective work happening.

BUT THE BODIES ARE PILING UP
dont need very much medical staff to work on mannequins!

Screen-Shot-2020-04-04-at-8.52.55-AM-1.png

I'm a RT. The hospital I work at has also gotten slower because of people staying away right now unless absolutely necessary, but no one in my department has been laid off. We're busy enough to get our three 12s in between the virus and people with other legit illnesses.

Only short-handed RT departments in hospitals overwhelmed by the virus would have anyone working seven days a week. I'm sure some of the larger cities are seeing that.

I'm confused I hear how the hospitals are bursting out the seams with patients and can barely keep up the the demand.

I see Reddit posts going viral every 3 seconds talkin 'bout "This is my mom, she's a nurse working 25 hour shifts!"

But then I hear about these ghost town hospitals.

I’ve mentioned it before but my brother is an RN in south florida and the hospital he works for owns 5 other hospitals and I know for a fact the census numbers are WAY WAY down. The virus was real, the reaction by the media to use it to fear monger was criminal. The models were wrong. It’s time to make America open again.

Thread full of second and third hand information = expert opinions & facts. Its to the point where unless I see it for myself I don't trust anyone's "facts" online because way too many people are caught up in politics.

Back