My friend wants to learn to defend himself, is bjj the best option?

If he can time a straight right and sit down on it hard he'll be sweet, everyone has a game plan...until they get punched in the face

In my opinion, judo is probably the best for self-defense as it starts standing, not on the ground. But BJJ is also good as the gym trains people to do technically correct takedowns. Boxing is the most pragmatic striking form for street-fighting also.

yeah i dont know if there is a judo dojo around where he is. I think he's interested in bjj. Probably best to go with what interests you. I advised him to go to a boxing gym but i think bjj is all he can afford right now.

boxing.....most idiots on the street will be throwing haymakers. slip and counterpunch if you need to

yeah i dont know if there is a judo dojo around where he is. I think he's interested in bjj. Probably best to go with what interests you. I advised him to go to a boxing gym but i think bjj is all he can afford right now.
I spent the better part of a shift in an interview room at the station after dealing with a KO punch between 2 clients where the guy who got smacked cracked his skull cause he was unconscious and couldn't put out his hands and break his fall.

Think of the sound of sound of a large coconut hitting the pavement from 6 feet. That's what a skull sounds like out in the real world from a well placed punch. I was so freaked out cause it was the first of many violent incidents, when I was at the grocery store I showed my lady what it sounded like by taking a coconut and dropping it on the floor, LOL! God forbid if the guy had been a trained boxer cause he was already deep in the shit just getting lucky!

Short of it is after a week of relieving the pressure on the vic's brain from swelling the cops decided to go after the other guy criminally and had to give sworn statement at the DA's office for his felony assault trial.

Full mount to an untrained witness will look like u r initiating the assault. Imagine what the cops see when they arrive on scene with u on top. They're going to cuff both of u and ask questions later with the already solidified assumption u r the aggressor. I had to correct countless on scene LEO conclusions where they were ready to cuff the vic cause he retaliated after being assaulted.

Even with the Judo/BJJ choke shit when u r all amped up on adrenaline never having to choke a guy for real, 30 secs 2 long u r felony fucked.

U gotta b real careful with that SD shit!

I spent the better part of a shift in an interview room at the station after dealing with a KO punch between 2 clients where the guy who got smacked cracked his skull cause he was unconscious and couldn't put out his hands and break his fall.

Think of the sound of sound of a large coconut hitting the pavement from 6 feet. That's what a skull sounds like out in the real world from a well placed punch. I was so freaked out cause it was the first of many violent incidents, when I was at the grocery store I showed my lady what it sounded like by taking a coconut and dropping it on the floor, LOL! God forbid if the guy had been a trained boxer cause he was already deep in the shit just getting lucky!

Short of it is after a week of relieving the pressure on the vic's brain from swelling the cops decided to go after the other guy criminally and had to give sworn statement at the DA's office for his felony assault trial.

Full mount to an untrained witness will look like u r initiating the assault. Imagine what the cops see when they arrive on scene with u on top. They're going to cuff both of u and ask questions later with the already solidified assumption u r the aggressor. I had to correct countless on scene LEO conclusions where they were ready to cuff the vic cause he retaliated after being assaulted.

Even with the Judo/BJJ choke shit when u r all amped up on adrenaline never having to choke a guy for real, 30 secs 2 long u r felony fucked.

U gotta b real careful with that SD shit!
I definitely advise him to avoid street fights but this isnt like two dudes at a bar type scenarios. This is like street thugs who kick you in the head after they've knocked you out. I'm all for staying out of jail but better to be judged by twelve than carried by six.

personally i would rather be standing over the person i just hit with a left hook right hand ,not that im advocating violence but full mount out side is a vulnerable situation,unless it was a prearranged one on one

MMA - just a very basic understanding of all disciplines will put you ahead of most of the street fighting population.

This is the obvious answer. If you want to learn how to fight, the best place is a gym that trains professional fighters for very limited rules combat. If you want to learn how to defend yourself without becoming a real fighter, and with the number of strikes and hard falls you take be limited (which I think it totally legit for most of the population), BJJ is a great option.

personally i would rather be standing over the person i just hit with a left hook right hand ,not that im advocating violence but full mount out side is a vulnerable situation,unless it was a prearranged one on one

So would I, but looking at this pragmatically, boxing isn't the answer either. You could get wrecked from behind just as easily standing straight up as in full mount.

FWIW, if I knew it wasn't 1v1, I'd be running or looking for a weapon.

Definitely not ts. He would be much better off learning how to shoot.

ok from a personal point of view if i had the choice to have just one option for self defence i would choice a standing art ie boxing or Thai ,and thats not to discredit any of the ground games which i love especially bjj ive trained judo and wrestling too, i just dont think they are pratitical in real life fights its good to know these arts just in case it did happened to go to the floor but i personlay wouldnt take a fight to the floor

ok from a personal point of view if i had the choice to have just one option for self defence i would choice a standing art ie boxing or Thai ,and thats not to discredit any of the ground games which i love especially bjj ive trained judo and wrestling too, i just dont think they are pratitical in real life fights its good to know these arts just in case it did happened to go to the floor but i personlay wouldnt take a fight to the floor

Well it's not always your choice, and in a 1v1 scenario, it's a much safer way to take someone down that trade with him. If it's more than 1v1, your mostly fucked anyways

have you ever tried to single leg or double leg someone on concrete ? i agree about more than one person you probably fucked anyway but a least on your feet and your confident with your hands your gonna get one of them out of there, as soon as you fuck your self up trying to take somebody down his friend/friends are going to stick the boot in on you regardless how good your ground game is.
i bet the % of people who train or fight would be a lot higher in keeping it on there feet than going to the floor in a real fight situation

Clinch-->body hug-->outside leg trip-->mount

By the way, as a boxer what are you going to do if a guy chokes you from behind? Gets you in a head lock? Heaven forbid it does go down to the ground?

How about the guy just grabs your jacket at first? Arm drag to back would be better than throwing a left hook.

My joking advice would be 110 meter hurdles.

My serious advice would be 110 meter hurdles and various weapon practice - cane and knife especially. Humans are much, much better at fighting with weapons than we are unarmed. I'd bet on a normal guy with a 6" blade over most MMA fighters. And a solid cane (old style, 1" thick oak with heavy handle, and a sharp point at the bottom) is even better, and you can carry it anywhere without anyone giving you a second look ... seriously, when was the last time you noticed if someone had a cane?

Unarmed fighting is a last resort if you're serious about self-defense.

Clinch-->body hug-->outside leg trip-->mount

By the way, as a boxer what are you going to do if a guy chokes you from behind? Gets you in a head lock? Heaven forbid it does go down to the ground?

How about the guy just grabs your jacket at first? Arm drag to back would be better than throwing a left hook.
if somebody grabbed me in a head lock i would have a silent giggle to my self and think its amateur hour i haven't been grabbed in a head lock since i was at school of by white belts in bjj, and if it did got to the ground i would have to deal with the situation in hand and then stand up as soon as possible And not in a million years would i let someone get close enough to get a arm drag on me im quite confident if there that close i would defiantly have hit them a couple of times

Back