My Friend is a Delusional Conor Groupie :(

There's some silliness on both ends of the spectrum. Conor fans take it way too far with their tomfoolery, suggesting Conor will take the LW and WW belts, KO everyone inside a round, etc etc. But now that the Conor fans are a little less vocal, the common narrative seems to be that Conor is a total bum, was being heavily protected by the UFC and will lose all of his remaining fights throughout his career.

Both are equally stupid imo.
I couldn't agree more. I am not even counting him out in the rematch. He's a talented dude. I favor Nate, but this is MMA.

The fact that his fans act like he walks through Alvarez and Woodley though, that's a head scratcher for me.

Ah, there it is. Three things you can always count on; death, taxes, and your token sherdogger keyboard warrior who insults for no apparent reason.
Exactly, coming in spewing his virgin venom.

Ah, there it is. Three things you can always count on; death, taxes, and your token sherdogger keyboard warrior who insults for no apparent reason.
I explained why, I want no trouble. Now stfu :)

He'll most likely be wanting to take his own life come next Saturday. Be ready to put him on suicide watch TS.

We have been watching UFCs together since UFC 100. He usually a very rational human being, but for some reason, Conor brings out this side in him that is irrational and insane.

When Conor first was scheduled to fight Nate, he said it would make a decent tune up fight. I said Nate was his toughest test to date (feel free to check my posts). He said Conor could beat Nate and RDA in the same night.

After the loss, I thought that shit was over. He was devastated but seemed pretty rational about his weaknesses and such as well as the general humanity that makes any fighter susceptible to a loss at any point. As we approach the rematch, he has reverted back to his insanity. Now he is talking about how McGregor only lost the first time because he underestimated Nate and he's talking about how it is the best thing to ever happen to him because he will kill Nate in the rematch, dethrone Eddie Alvarez, and then whoever is the welterweight champ too. I cannot even fucking believe it.

I have literally never seen my friend like this. He is usually very smart and can separate his emotions from his analysis. Why does Conor bring out the craziest most delusional ideas from fans?
You have likely miscalculated your ability to judge intelligence. Your friend is dumb.

I couldn't agree more. I am not even counting him out in the rematch. He's a talented dude. I favor Nate, but this is MMA.

The fact that his fans act like he walks through Alvarez and Woodley though, that's a head scratcher for me.
Same here. I assume it's a potent blend of three things;

1. Standard Conor fanboyism.

2. They are guys who have only seen Alvarez' fights in the UFC and don't have a full grasp on his skills.

3. They are jumping on the "I hate Woodley" train.

Same here. I assume it's a potent blend of three things;

1. Standard Conor fanboyism.

2. They are guys who have only seen Alvarez' fights in the UFC and don't have a full grasp on his skills.

3. They are jumping on the "I hate Woodley" train.
I think it's MMA math.

"Alvarez can't take the shots Nate took, neither could RDA."

By all means lets just assume the whole division is going to stand in front of him and block punches with their face.

We have been watching UFCs together since UFC 100. He usually a very rational human being, but for some reason, Conor brings out this side in him that is irrational and insane.

When Conor first was scheduled to fight Nate, he said it would make a decent tune up fight. I said Nate was his toughest test to date (feel free to check my posts). He said Conor could beat Nate and RDA in the same night.

After the loss, I thought that shit was over. He was devastated but seemed pretty rational about his weaknesses and such as well as the general humanity that makes any fighter susceptible to a loss at any point. As we approach the rematch, he has reverted back to his insanity. Now he is talking about how McGregor only lost the first time because he underestimated Nate and he's talking about how it is the best thing to ever happen to him because he will kill Nate in the rematch, dethrone Eddie Alvarez, and then whoever is the welterweight champ too. I cannot even fucking believe it.

I have literally never seen my friend like this. He is usually very smart and can separate his emotions from his analysis. Why does Conor bring out the craziest most delusional ideas from fans?
I think when any fighter has built that aura of invincibility, there is a certain percentage of the population that full on buys into the superhero mystique and believes that that person is different than the other humans and is therefore immune to loss or adversity. They get a little nutty.

I had a friend that did that with Chuck Liddell, GSP, and Anderson. Each time it was the same thing. I would try to tell him that although unlikely, they might lose this fight and he would be super defiant and douchey. The couple times that each lost he was completely devastated and baffled. He was dumbfounded.

No, he's not. In the Nate fight he was, but he's shown he can be versatile.
Compared to elite fighters, not really.

His TDD is average at best.

Jiu-JItsu once the fight hits the ground is average.

Kicking is average.

Boxing is superb.

Nate arguably has equal or better boxing, despite a steep advantage on the ground.

What is the height and weight of your friend!?

Lmao that's awesome I'd just embrace having a very good friend who really likes mma to be honest.

Seriously though that must be annoying at times.

People like the idea of superheroes. It adds excitement to their mundane existence.

I've no disparaging remarks about your friend or diehard Conor fans. Conor is a very unique and exciting fighter and Nathan is going to give him and your friend a reality check soon.

Ultimately I'm glad there's fighters that can get people so enthusiastic/passionate about MMA.

Back