My footwork feels all wrong

Yomoska

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Whenever I practice moving around, especially going in, doing a combo, then backing out, my rear leg starts to stiffen up. I don't know why it happens, to me I'm just doing what I thought was right. Is it just a beginners thing or am I just totally doing it wrong?

well, first of all, what discipline are you partaking in?

It sounds like nerves. I've got bad knees and I used to use it as an excuse, but I've learned that you can still be proficient. Your "problem" can be corrected by taking a few shots to the face because you're obviously nervous.

Whenever I practice moving around, especially going in, doing a combo, then backing out, my rear leg starts to stiffen up. I don't know why it happens, to me I'm just doing what I thought was right. Is it just a beginners thing or am I just totally doing it wrong?

It stiffens, like it locks up and won't bend? If it's painful, contact a physician. If it's not, give us a better description so we can tell if it's a training thing or something else.

It stiffens, like it locks up and won't bend? If it's painful, contact a physician. If it's not, give us a better description so we can tell if it's a training thing or something else.

i think he means by unco-ordination.

btw why do u have your woman's "mugshot" up ? Im sure you got some prettier pictures !

:icon_lol:

It could be that you aren't shifting your weight well, ie that your are leaning too far forward or back, and as a result are having trouble moving.

It sounds like you just heavy heavy feet and have trouble with coordinating your steps with your punches.

As far as staying light on your feet, skipping rope works wonders. Jumprope in your actual fighting stance and do that for a few rounds along with working on the agility ladder. That should help tons.

As for the combos, don't go too fast. Learn basic footwork and then move onto things one step at a time. People think boxing is easy to learn, but it takes a lot of time and work to learn the footwork. Just remember...slowly but surely.

Hope it helps.

btw why do u have your woman's "mugshot" up ? Im sure you got some prettier pictures !

Couldn't I ask you the same question? :icon_lol:

But seriously, she likes that picture more than the last one. I'll let her know you don't approve. :rolleyes:

Couldn't I ask you the same question? :icon_lol:

But seriously, she likes that picture more than the last one. I'll let her know you don't approve. :rolleyes:

hey my boy looks waaay cuter than your "mutt"......if you're comparing.

Let me guess ....she's one of those 'freshies' that has numerous pictures of her standing at attention with her hands down by her side

seriously though , the last pic you had was way more flattering. Kinda made a guy think she might be on drugs getting engaged to you.
You sure she said yes and not "I'll think about it" ?

well, first of all, what discipline are you partaking in?

It's suppose to be straight Muay Thai but the club I'm at does MMA a lot so sometimes we do traditional MT and then other times we combine a lot straight up boxing.

It sounds like nerves. I've got bad knees and I used to use it as an excuse, but I've learned that you can still be proficient. Your "problem" can be corrected by taking a few shots to the face because you're obviously nervous.

During training I'm usually very relaxed, especially when I'm training with one of my friends. Never had a fight yet and I think I would need this problem cleared before I try.

I think I should have been more descriptive. It feels like my calf stiffens up and I can't be springy with that leg anymore. Nothing wrong with bending it though and my thigh feels fine.

It could be that you aren't shifting your weight well, ie that your are leaning too far forward or back, and as a result are having trouble moving.

This could probably be the cause. I do feel myself trying to reach more with punches when coming in while thinking I'm going to move out when I'm done.

It sounds like you just heavy heavy feet and have trouble with coordinating your steps with your punches.

As far as staying light on your feet, skipping rope works wonders. Jumprope in your actual fighting stance and do that for a few rounds along with working on the agility ladder. That should help tons.

As for the combos, don't go too fast. Learn basic footwork and then move onto things one step at a time. People think boxing is easy to learn, but it takes a lot of time and work to learn the footwork. Just remember...slowly but surely.

Hope it helps.

Thanks for the tips. Skipping is hard for me and I can barely do it while alternating feet, thinking of myself doing it while in a fighting stance seems impossible:icon_sad:

Thanks everyone for the replies.

If you are trying to learn MT and boxing at the same
time no wonder you're footwork is all confused -
MT and boxing footwork are different because they
are different sports.

Good luck.

Like others said, mixing boxing and muay thai are totally different footwork.
I only box, and you HAVE to learn to skip. once you can skip well, do different things with your feet while you skip. say tap your left heel 3 times infront of you, then switch fast to your right toe behind you. I basically have never heard of anyone doing this, and kind of made this up myself, but it did help my co ordination alot.

hey my boy looks waaay cuter than your "mutt"......if you're comparing.

Let me guess ....she's one of those 'freshies' that has numerous pictures of her standing at attention with her hands down by her side

seriously though , the last pic you had was way more flattering. Kinda made a guy think she might be on drugs getting engaged to you.
You sure she said yes and not "I'll think about it" ?

Since I don't know you in any context but on the internet, I'll accept the backhanded compliment ("Thank you") and ignore the rest but I've got a question for you.

I doubt you're an idiot so you have to know what you're doing most of the time. So why do you consistently go out of your way to be insultive to others or anything less than constructive in your dealings with the people in this subforum? I rarely see you posting in the War Room, the Heavies, or Mayberry where that type of behavior is the norm and even expected. Instead, you've chosen an area where people generally are trying to learn or improve and you work consistently to undermine that spirit of education and personal improvement.

I'm not looking for the cookie cutter "It's the internet, I can do what I want" response. I want to know what, exactly, you get out of it and why here instead of one of the more populated subforums.

Some things in fighting just take time, footwork and timing take some time to get down so just keep plugging away at it and you'll see improvements over the next while. In MT just keep switching your weight between feet, alot of guys (Especially in the U.S) have very poor footwork and it fucks up alot of other things along with that so just keep practicing it and it'll come. Good Luck!!

Back