my first tournament(2nd SW classic) with pics and vid!***added second video***

Feria

Green Belt
Reaction score
This was my first tournament, I was pretty nervous.

I got a take down and then moved on to side control

from side control I passed to mount and went for a gi choke but got bridged so he was in my guard

ended up winning on points 14-0

Here is the video of my first match

YouTube - 20101017145128(1).wmv

I lost my second match 2-0(I had one advantage) and was up until the last minute or so where I got swept.
will upload and edit in second video

**** added second video**** action starts at 2;20 nothing really before then besides me defending
It seems I was leaning over too much on my standing pass but he didn't do anything with it.
YouTube - 20101017152034

My bracket only had 8 people total so I ended up taking third. He are two pics.

My girlfriend and my mom. Seeing as this is the grappling forum I am assuming most of you will be mature, but I still expect some dumb ass remarks..

The guy in second is the guy I lost my second match to. The guy who took first was HUGE and wrestled in college(not sure what division) but is 32 so it was a while ago.
He manhandled everybody he competed against.

All in all it was an awesome experience and something I will definitely be doing again. I got to meet Ben Henderson as well which was cool.

Last edited:
I've never posted on this forum before, but I swooped in from the Heavys to make a comment about your mom and sister. Not bad. Girlfriend, I mean, mom could use some work.
But yeah good work in your tournament, especially considering it was your first one

Nice job on winning your first match with your girlfriend and mom watching.

My girlfriend at the time came to my first BJJ tournament and watched me get owned, lol

I don't let girlfriends watch me compete anymore. I only show them the video afterward if I win.

Thanks guys. any tips or things you notice I did wrong that my opponent didn't capitalize on?

Nice job on winning your first match with your girlfriend and mom watching.

My girlfriend at the time came to my first BJJ tournament and watched me get owned, lol

I don't let girlfriends watch me compete anymore. I only show them the video afterward if I win.

My dad and sister came too. I was most nervous because the girl.. I didn't want her to think I sucked hahaha.

I'm watching your first match now, interesting takedown, did you plan to do that type of sacrifice throw or did it just sort of happen? Either way you timed it well.

You missed a free armbar at 2:04 when the guy completely extended his arm trying to upa escape your mount. All you really had to do was step over his head.

Obviously, practice holding mount, but also work on switching to seated mount or s-mount as a counter to the upa escape. If you feel him start to upa to your left, drive your right knee toward his head, keeping it tight against his shoulders and bring your left foot up and plant it, tight against his chest to trap him on his side. Easy armbar plus several other options from there.

When you went for the ezekiel choke you needed to lean away from the side where your elbow was on the ground because you had no base on that side, that's why he could just roll you over. Or you could have grapevined his legs, or posted your head on the mat. Retaining mount while going for a choke is tricky and very important to practice.

Also when he was standing up in your guard from about 2:25~3:00 his posture was really bad and you didn't capitalize on it. He even posted his hand on the ground at 2:38. You could possibly have triangled, armbarred, kimura'd, omoplata'd, or swept him there. And he was real lucky you didn't sweep him at 2:57, you had it all set up but instead of pulling the trigger you let him just push your leg down and pass to half guard. Work on your open guard and high guard vs. standing. It looked like you didn't quite know where to grip, you kept changing your grips around and not really controlling him with them.

Overall you did a good job and pretty much dominated that opponent though. You did very well at improving your position from side control to mount and half guard to mount. The mistakes you did make are all stuff that you'll improve upon just by continuing to train and getting more mat time in. You certainly did much better than I did at my first tournament as a white belt. Congrats on your medal!

Nice job winning one of the two matches. I had my first tournament today and lost both by sub. In front of my girl I have a 3 week old son with and my dad. She held the camera for my second match! I was hoping to win at least one match. I am thinking about making a thread since I just uploaded them onto my YouTube page.

I'm watching your first match now, interesting takedown, did you plan to do that type of sacrifice throw or did it just sort of happen? Either way you timed it well.

You missed a free armbar at 2:04 when the guy completely extended his arm trying to upa escape your mount. All you really had to do was step over his head.

Obviously, practice holding mount, but also work on switching to seated mount or s-mount as a counter to the upa escape. If you feel him start to upa to your left, drive your right knee toward his head, keeping it tight against his shoulders and bring your left foot up and plant it, tight against his chest to trap him on his side. Easy armbar plus several other options from there.

When you went for the ezekiel choke you needed to lean away from the side where your elbow was on the ground because you had no base on that side, that's why he could just roll you over. Or you could have grapevined his legs, or posted your head on the mat. Retaining mount while going for a choke is tricky and very important to practice.

Also when he was standing up in your guard from about 2:25~3:00 his posture was really bad and you didn't capitalize on it. He even posted his hand on the ground at 2:38. You could possibly have triangled, armbarred, kimura'd, omoplata'd, or swept him there. And he was real lucky you didn't sweep him at 2:57, you had it all set up but instead of pulling the trigger you let him just push your leg down and pass to half guard. Work on your open guard and high guard vs. standing. It looked like you didn't quite know where to grip, you kept changing your grips around and not really controlling him with them.

Overall you did a good job and pretty much dominated that opponent though. You did very well at improving your position from side control to mount and half guard to mount. The mistakes you did make are all stuff that you'll improve upon just by continuing to train and getting more mat time in. You certainly did much better than I did at my first tournament as a white belt. Congrats on your medal!

I planned that sacrifice it's a takedown I can kind of "feel" and yeah I noticed the armbar that he was giving me. at 2:57 I was trying for the sweep but I messed that up.
Thank you for all the advice and the detailed feed back I really appreciate it.

and I did have some difficulty with my grips.

Thank you for the congrats.

nice job man! Do you train with Gustavo?

I trained with him for 4 months. He's an amazing instructor. I now train with a guy who is a 4stripe purple under him because I get unlimited BJJ and striking for only 65 a month and it's much closer. I am a poor college kid and it's almost one third the price so it is hard to rationalize triple the price.

Congrats. Try to focus on how to stay heavy, use your whole body instead of just arms or a single body part to move your opponent. Keep at it.

Thank you. Yeah I left a lot of space at some points ;\

Nice job.
The second place guy I fought against the last AZ tourny.
He had a pretty good sweep from guard.
I cut down to 207 and I'm kinda glad now. Would not enjoy it if I had to fight that massive wrestler.

Back