My first night of Judo was tonight.

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by td82394, Sep 16, 2010.

1. td82394

td82394 Brown Belt

It was legit. I've done some wrestling and jiu-jitsu, but man, judo is off the hook. I pretty much just learned falls today, but I did learn one throw, which was like a foot sweep or something, but it felt so cool to pull it off. Plus the whole cupping your hand thing is genius.

2. supersuk

supersuk White Belt

cupping your hand?

3. platfox

platfox Silver Belt

Like whoa. If your instructor invites you over for private lessons, don't go by your self.

4. mrpopenfresh

mrpopenfresh Red Belt

Good one. Kepp your hands way up where we can see 'em.

5. tehk1w1

tehk1w1 Brown Belt

Learn your falls well. Practice the shit out of them until they become second nature and instinctive. In some throws, you'll have a split second to slap the mat and soften your fall. If you're not ready for it, you'll get the wind knocked out of you real bad.

Judo is a lot of fun though. Never got the hang of some throws, though. The foot sweep for instance I never quite mastered. I was always a bigger fan of hip throws for some reason. Sacrificial throws are always badass too.

6. 879lexus

879lexus Blue Belt

My instructor told me the same thing. When I'm breaking a fall, when i slap the floor, cup my hands when I slap the floor..........

7. Uchi Mata

Uchi Mata Preaching the gospel of heel hooks and left kicks

Judo is awesome...if your timing is good, throwing someone can feel like swatting a fly.

8. Carrera26

Carrera26 Orange Belt

Since he was talking about sweeps, I am gonna assume he meant cupping the foot and made a typo.

Just wait until you get your first really low effort --> big result throw in Randori. I will guarantee you right now it will be 80% luck, but once you get a hit of that feeling, you'll be chasing that high over and over. It's like being a superhero for .5 seconds.

9. ILGrappler

ILGrappler Purple Belt

Aren't you the guy that literally JUST went to his first BJJ class and was really surprised by grappling? If you're a judoka, why was your first BJJ class such an eye opening experience.