my first mma fight

It would help to mention which one you are.

Congratulations on getting in the ring, but that standup... whoo boy.

Actually, I'm not really trying to be insulting, so I hope it didn't come across that way. I'll chalk it up to first fight jitters.

i'm the shorter one of the 2,i trained my stand up really hard for the last 6 to 8 weeks but before that i basically had none.in saying that ive been holding my own with some very good boxers in sparring.the plan wa actually to try and stand with him but he kept shooting for the takedown the whole fight wich was frustrating.
i also felt like i could control him on the ground.

How Good Is Your Jits??, I Saw A Lot Of Head Ducking, I'd Of Tried To Lock Up The Guilliotine Pulled Guard, You Get It In Kinda Tight, It's Usually Enough To Ward Off Future Takedown Attempts..

3 rounds in your first fight man - that's rough... I've only been to the second round once in 5 ammy bouts and that cost me a loss due to gassing out.

It isn't like you weren't active either... Respect!

yea my fitness is good i didnt really feel tired at any stage,but to be honest we do train VERY hard at my academy and i did a lot of extra training for this.

my main background is judo (cross training in bjj)(12months,green belt) his is BJJ(2 years,blue belt) i did train muay thai for just under a year but that was almost three years ago now,i'd been training mma for 2 months and taking private lessons in boxing before this fight.
i also trained mma for around 5 months at the start of the year but had to stop to focus on judo and rugby.

theres no denying my striking needs lots of work,i'm going to give up rugby so i can keep developing my mma game but judo will still be the main focus atleast for the next year.

Last edited:
i'm the shorter one of the 2,i trained my stand up really hard for the last 6 to 8 weeks but before that i basically had none.in saying that ive been holding my own with some very good boxers in sparring.the plan wa actually to try and stand with him but he kept shooting for the takedown the whole fight wich was frustrating.
i also felt like i could control him on the ground.

not great but not too bad either.
we had planned to keep this on the feet as much as possible,with him being a blue belt in bjj we thought that he would have the edge on the ground so i focussed alot on boxing and between judo and rugby i already had very good takedown defense.
but once i had kesa gatame locked up i just felt like i had control and could win the fight from there,i guess i was a bit stronger than him and that helped.

at a guess i would probably roll at a high white belt level.over the last year ive trained judo 3-4 times a week and bjj once or twice.before that i did 6 months of bjj 2-3 times a week.

ive got a really good top game,and good submission defence but the rest of my game needs work,my coach said he finds me as hard to submit as a good bjj blue belt and at the national training camp for judo i had the better of the blackbelts i rolled with.

Back