My first mma amatuer fight.

Congrats, have you ever done any other types of competition? how long have you been training?

TJS said:
Congrats, have you ever done any other types of competition? how long have you been training?

Ive done sub wrestling and BJJ comps 1 of each. And i have been doing jiujitsu for about 2 1/2 years and i joined AMC in march, so striking for about 6 months.

Props for stepping up, something alot of keyboard warriors are afraid to do.,.

some constructive critisicm
A couple things, the first takedown he got on you was weak.. you need to keep your hips back more. You basically gave him the trip

Your a blue belt in bjj? is your normal sidemount escape to try and kick your legs over their head? very unusual..

the only other things that could use some work, he gave you armbar from mount a few times.. when you went for the kimura from side and he bucked you off, you could have sat on his face to finish it topside.. would have been way easier than trying to lock it out from across side.

Nice takedown, and good finish.

I side mount escape is to shrimp, but i was worried he would throw a hook and slam my nose into the back of my head. His neck was up, so i threw my leg up, it worked though.

As for all my mistakes, its my first fight, and I have time to improve. Thanks for the imput.

Great vid, good fight ... looked like the referree didn't see your oppenent tap ... "what happened, you tapped?" is what he looks to be asking ...
Congrats on your victory!

won my first ammy fight back in april was too lazy to email anyone about a tag. lol

I'm off to sleep now. Congrats on the W

Dominic Kihlstrand said:
I posted this vid in the standup forum, but im a grappler so i wanted to share with you guys. I hope you can appreciate the armbar into triangle setup.

Im the guy in the black shorts.

http://files.filefront.com/My_fightmp4/;4121095;;/fileinfo.html

who do i talk to about getting an amatuer fighter tag?

You need work on yoru clinch and stand up. Congrats on your win. It's tough to fight in front of a crowd.

I commented about the side mount escape because normally one should attain a underhook then either get back to gaurd or to knees, i didnt see you try and get an underhook at all. Regardless i know that in a fight things are not always as clear as you would like.

His inside trip was quick, and it was my first fight. If you notice, I trip him right back. As for the underhook side control escape, your right, now that i think about it, i should have. Im working more on my grappling more...so no worries

:D

FiendishOne said:
Yeah, it's not always a good idea to go for an armbar from mount if you have mount position and can ground and pound.. Wouldn't want to risk the guy turning into the move, getting out then you being on your back.

did you watch his fight? the guy escaped his mount twice. the second time he ended up putting Dominic on his back, and getting triangled form there. not to mention he was positionally dominating the guy; he'd have probably been in good shape even if he missed the armbar.

Dominic Kihlstrand said:
I was worried about losing position. I was happy grounding and pounding. But yes, i do need to work on my controlled submissions.

we could all work on our subs. i'm total shit at armbars, so i'm not one to talk. just making an observation. let us know if you fight again.

Ill let everyone know when im fighting. It will be a dream come true when I have my first "fan". And that will happen quicker if I post all my fights.

DirectDrive said:
did you watch his fight? the guy escaped his mount twice. the second time he ended up putting Dominic on his back, and getting triangled form there. not to mention he was positionally dominating the guy; he'd have probably been in good shape even if he missed the armbar.

Probably is the keyword there.. Yes I'm sure he could have transitioned to a triangle or another armbar, or just swept from guard. But it's MMA, nobody gets hit in the face grappling. He clearly outclassed the guy on the ground, imo. But when you have a good position such as mount you aren't, rightly so, going to want to go for that armbar if you aren't 100% sure. Especially considering it was his first MMA fight.

The way I see it, why risk missing the submission and getting hit a few times in the face when you can hold position and hit the guy. Think of how often you see some of the best guys in Pride, UFC have armbars and not always take them.. putting yourself in a chance to give up position can lead to trouble.. If he was losing the fight, go for it.. If he was obviously dominating, why take the chance?

Back