My first Kickboxing experience.

joshmaikar

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
This past saturday was my debut in kickboxing rules here in México.
I lost the fight, but It has been a little hard to understand for me so I wanted to share my experiencie So maybe you can give me an advice.

The bout wasn't that close, the other guy was a brawler who barely throw kicks and I had to fight going Backwards, getting away from the ropes, but It worked well. I was throwing and connexting my front kicks all day and my straight left was working well also. I also got the only knockdown of the fight on the second round.

Here is where everything goes weird.

This guy kicked me in the groin 4 times. At the third time, he got a point deduction and in the fourth time, referee stopped the action but he did not took another point or a DQ. The guy got another warning for punching the back of my head, So It was the 5th warning... Then, having 30 seconds left in the bout, we got in a little exchange and he kind of hit me on the shoulder (I tend to use The shoulder roll), I give my back because of the exchange and all of a sudden the referee stopped the fight because he said I was refusing to fight, by giving my back (wich was because of a scramble, not because I literally turned, I wasn't even hurt. Hell, I think I got hit like 3 times on the face, on the three rounds)
I found myself pretty dissapointed, of course all the people was having a hard time understanding the decision, while a felt... Really bad...

I don't like to take this stuff personally or shouting stuff like "this was a robbery" or stupid shit like that, because I don't even know the referee and he does not know me :/ but...

I am a very competitive guy, I was undefeated on my amateur record and It was hard for me to swallow... of course I took It as a loss and there is a lot stuff to get better but....

How should I take It? :/ Should I still be mad?

Take it as it was a Kickboxing match in Mexico and nobody knew what the hell they were doing...

Last edited:
A loss in kickboxing is nothing. Here we don"t talk about boxing.

By the way, do you have any videos of your fights?

May i ask where in México? And who knows the quality of refs and judges can vary greatly depending upon the type or of fight. It was weird that he stopped the fight for turning your back only once... But roll with it

This past saturday was my debut in kickboxing rules here in México.
I lost the fight, but It has been a little hard to understand for me so I wanted to share my experiencie So maybe you can give me an advice.

The bout wasn't that close, the other guy was a brawler who barely throw kicks and I had to fight going Backwards, getting away from the ropes, but It worked well. I was throwing and connexting my front kicks all day and my straight left was working well also. I also got the only knockdown of the fight on the second round.

Here is where everything goes weird.

This guy kicked me in the groin 4 times. At the third time, he got a point deduction and in the fourth time, referee stopped the action but he did not took another point or a DQ. The guy got another warning for punching the back of my head, So It was the 5th warning... Then, having 30 seconds left in the bout, we got in a little exchange and he kind of hit me on the shoulder (I tend to use The shoulder roll), I give my back because of the exchange and all of a sudden the referee stopped the fight because he said I was refusing to fight, by giving my back (wich was because of a scramble, not because I literally turned, I wasn't even hurt. Hell, I think I got hit like 3 times on the face, on the three rounds)
I found myself pretty dissapointed, of course all the people was having a hard time understanding the decision, while a felt... Really bad...

I don't like to take this stuff personally or shouting stuff like "this was a robbery" or stupid shit like that, because I don't even know the referee and he does not know me :/ but...

I am a very competitive guy, I was undefeated on my amateur record and It was hard for me to swallow... of course I took It as a loss and there is a lot stuff to get better but....

How should I take It? :/ Should I still be mad?
I'd be pissed in your shoes. You say this was in Mexico... Was your opponent mexican? I suppose a certain amount of judge bias can be expected in that case.
Sounds like the whole atmosphere was arranged against you. The referee didn't do his job, the judges didn't do theirs and your opponent fought dirty...
They just screwed you over. Only way to overcome that in the future and guarantee yourself a win is if you KO him, otherwise it's almost always controversial.
I think you should just take it as a learning experience and draw your conclusions from it, then get back in the gym.
Would you be willing to share a video of the bout?

Back