My first grappling comp with videos

GroundGameFan

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
So I'm a white belt, after training for 6 months I decided to test myself in a competition. I train at ATT Davie,FL and this past Sunday we had our first internal tournament. I was the only white belt to show up and compete, so I had my first two matches with blue belts. I lost both by sub, but am looking at it as a learning experience and hope to compete again in December or January. I know I still suck and these videos don't do me any favors but who cares the grappling forum is usually pretty good about staying positive. It felt great to be on the mat but the losing really disappointed me and I have replayed both matches dozens of times in my head as well as watching the videos several times. I know I have many things to work on so feel free to critique however you see fit, I am a realist so I can take it. Here's the fights:

First fight

Second fight

That first guy is really a blue belt?

You're too tentative. I know you seen the escape when he mounted you, but, you second guessed yourself. Get free of people's grips faster also, you allowed him to set up that submission for about 5-6 seconds before you realized what he was going to do. wriggle you arm out of that, twist your forearm and you'll almost certainly break his grip.

That first guy is really a blue belt?

Yes after the match we spoke and he said he has been training for about a year and a half, and got his blue at just over one year. We had rolled in class on occasion and he had never subbed me... On a side note, he went on to armbar two more guys and triangle a third guy in the finals so I didn't feel TOO shitty getting subbed by him. I do wish that I had chained the armbar defenses together and given myself a chance to work from the top.

You're too tentative. I know you seen the escape when he mounted you, but, you second guessed yourself. Get free of people's grips faster also, you allowed him to set up that submission for about 5-6 seconds before you realized what he was going to do. wriggle you arm out of that, twist your forearm and you'll almost certainly break his grip.

Yes I was very tentative because we never practice from standing position so I have no confidence in my takedowns. Also I didn't want to get guillotined 5 seconds in so I played it safe. I thought I did a good job of grip breaking, but thanks I will focus more on that in training. For the sub are you talking about the first fight? I knew that mount armbar was coming so I told myself to be patient and then go for the reversal as soon as I felt his body lean back. I was happy with the first escape, but should not have left my right arm in, I should have postured up and back to free both arms and start working from there. Also just being a WB I generally don't have to chain defending multiple submission escapes together in training so I was not used to thinking instantly about a possible second or third sub attempt. In training I mostly roll with other WBs, and a few times per week match up with a blue so it's just inexperience for now.

Last edited:
Back