My first ear-drain!

1rep_max

White Belt
Reaction score
Been doing sub-wrestling and BJJ for about 4 months now and have had sore + bruised ears a few times.

This past Saturday was bad enough to get me to a doctor. I showered at the school after class and was driving home - felt a drop of water in my ear. I tilt my head and touch my finger to my ear and found a 'mound' of ear where there usually isn't any.

Overall, the experience was a little less pleasant than I imagined. The pressure bandage is uncomfortable. Also, my wife just tore her MCL playing rugby and is using crutches. We went for dinner and a show Sunday evening looking like we just walked away from a car wreck :D

Anyway, maybe about time I invested in some headgear.

lol m8 hehe...

The truth is that you and your wife actually had an argue wich went a little bit too far.

Wow, I have been doing jj for years and never had any problems.

I drain my ears myself which probably explains why my caulis are so fucking ugly.

ive got a couple really small patches of cauli that i havent bothered with yet, i need to point it out to most people. but im just waiting for them to blow up one day. i had some headgear but it was uber-uncomfortable.

beatnick said:
lol m8 hehe...

The truth is that you and your wife actually had an argue wich went a little bit too far.

lol My wife has been playing rugby for years (well before she met me) and during the summer she has a new bruise, cut or scrape every week. We do get some looks.

I either have suseptable ears or get caught in too many bad positions (or both). At my school only a few people wear headgear and they are BJJ blue belts, so I won't feel too bad about wearing headgear, at least for the times my ears are sore - they were sore for a few days before my last class.

Your wife beeing a rugby player, I'm sure she doesn't mind if you have cauli ears. My girl finds them kinda cute

i had my ear drained. the whole inner cavety filled up so i had to get it done.

wrestled for 6 years, it happened on the 5th year.

do any competitions allow headgear? i've never seen a sub wrestling tourney with anyone in a headgear, or bjj. they are a pain in the ass though. if it's not on perfect it can be pulled over your eyes or throat. i did that all the time because it pisses the other guy off.

I must admit, getting your ear drained is possibly the single most disturbing thing I've ever heard.

mogway said:
Your wife beeing a rugby player, I'm sure she doesn't mind if you have cauli ears. My girl finds them kinda cute

That's what she said BEFORE I started showing any signs - now that I have she seems pretty concerned that I avoid it.

Fight_Song said:
i had my ear drained. the whole inner cavety filled up so i had to get it done.

wrestled for 6 years, it happened on the 5th year.

do any competitions allow headgear? i've never seen a sub wrestling tourney with anyone in a headgear, or bjj. they are a pain in the ass though. if it's not on perfect it can be pulled over your eyes or throat. i did that all the time because it pisses the other guy off.

Not sure about competition rules, but I am considering wearing the headgear for day-to-day training (assuming that it's not unbearable). My ears often seem sore after rolling, maybe making them susceptible to injury. As often as I plan on competing I'll probably be fine without the headgear for comps.

Any guys knows how far you can let it go before you "have" to do something about it. Im starting to get some on my upper left ear, but it doesnt bother me yet. Im fine with getting it as long as it wont interfere with my hearing or some other shit. Do I need to be worried?

Not sure - personal preference I guess.

If you look at someone like Couture (who seems to have fairly severe cauli ears), he doesn't seem to have any hearing problems.

Something to consider though is that cauliflower ear is after the fluid inside hardens - at that point I don't think there is much you can do. It has to be a relatively fresh hematoma. Needs to be drained within about 48 hours, I think. On Saturday that doctor said that about 3 spots needed to be drained - he got fluid out of the first 2, but not the third. When he described the location of the third spot I realized that one was about 4 weeks old.

1rep_max said:
Not sure - personal preference I guess.

If you look at someone like Couture (who seems to have fairly severe cauli ears), he doesn't seem to have any hearing problems.

Something to consider though is that cauliflower ear is after the fluid inside hardens - at that point I don't think there is much you can do. It has to be a relatively fresh hematoma. Needs to be drained within about 48 hours, I think. On Saturday that doctor said that about 3 spots needed to be drained - he got fluid out of the first 2, but not the third. When he described the location of the third spot I realized that one was about 4 weeks old.

They can scoop the hard stuff out.

worth.gif

FiveByFive said:
They can scoop the hard stuff out.

ouch. that can't be fun. do they have to cut it up to do that?

I'm wondering when my girfriend is gonna wind up with cauliflower ears; she trains like crazy.

As it is, she always has fresh bruises and mat burns on her arms; I swear, every time we go out, I wonder how many people think I treat her like I'm Ike Turner or something.

I've seen earguards at some SW matches. I guess it's just personal preference. I haven't felt the need yet. I've been sore, but never so much that I've been risking to get caulis.

Back