My First Competition is in Exactl One Month

angrybandnerd

Orange Belt
Reaction score
And I have no idea how to prepare for it. Any tips? Also, the two possible weight classes for me are Middle (max at 181) or Light (max at 167.5. Right now I am right at 181 and continuing to lose fat. Should I try and make it to light and be one of the bigger guys in the class, or stick with staying where I'm at in the middle weight class? I'm really pretty nervous for this but super hyped on it! Any help is greatly appreciated!

If its a big tournament where your gonna have more than 2 matches, than I would say start conditioning just a bit. Roll more serious at the gym. Roll like your competing, that way on tournament day, its just another roll at the gym. Eat clean and drink plenty of fluids. Up your training sessions but 3 days before I would just chill out and rest your body and let it recover.

Pointless to lose too much weight.

You are better off just concentrating on techniques and condition instead.

Start rolling from stand up and for longer period as well (6 min.).

Study the points system and get someone to count the points when you roll and critise your results.

Thanks for the good advice. I think I will be agreeing with you and sticking in the middle weight class. Hopefully I can find a way to get in some more training and live training some how.

I read in one of Machado book that he advised his competitor to focus on one single technique: TKD, sweep and sub.

Hey man, it'll be my first competition too! I've heard that it's a very well run tourney - they'll actually have all brackets posted online the day before so you'll know exactly what time you're going. Good luck! :)

i woudl stay there dude, 13 lbs is alot for one month. if u think u can make it, go for it.

I read in one of Machado book that he advised his competitor to focus on one single technique: TKD, sweep and sub.

That's pretty interesting, I'll have to check that out!

Jango, where do you train? And what class will you be competing in?

angrybandnerd said:
Jango, where do you train? And what class will you be competing in?

I train at SLMMA and I'll be in the female division, feather (max 129), unless I can cut to 118, which I highly doubt since I'm right at 128 without the gi. Also, I love food way too much :icon_neut

Its your first competition I really wouldn't worry about cutting a whole lot of weight. Just go and experience it and have fun. An important thing to remember is you can always say "tap" don't forget this it can be very important when you can't actually tap because they will break your arm if you don't.

What tournament is it? What happened to you coming to dfw for gq about 2 months ago?

What tournament is it? What happened to you coming to dfw for gq about 2 months ago?

The guy I was going to come out there with has pretty much disappeared from class the past three weeks, and I was encouraged by everyone to do this instead since it's ibjj rules.

It's the Pro Star Grappling event here in Houston.

Last edited:
i woudl stay there dude, 13 lbs is alot for one month. if u think u can make it, go for it.

I agree, plus you're already at the max wt for middle anyway, so you're set. If anything, you might gain a lil weight if you start doing some hard workouts and gain muscle.

ROLL ALOT to get your cardio ready, don't be like me where i gas out midway through my first match. haha

Don't forget if it's a gi competition, you'll have to weigh in with the gi (probably 4 to 5lbs). I'd say fight at the higher weight class.. Focus on technique and get in the best shape possible. Good luck!

exactly ... what he said. you prob have to lose another 5 lbs. eating before weigh-ins and staying hydrated is huge - especially if you have multiple matches in a relatively short period of time. have fun. good luck.

Thanks for all the input guys, I really appreciate it! I spent live training on my back letting myself get into difficult situations, not only to work on escapes, but to really work some good cardio in. Ended up with a really sore neck and throat because of it! Anyways, hopefully I can drop about five or so more pounds and gain some muscle at the same time. I'm pretty excited!:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back