My first competition, help?????

maori rule all

Blue Belt
Reaction score
hey everyone I'm entering my first powerlifting competition on April 18th, well it's only a Deadlift comp.

I'll be going in at 75 kg and in the under 16 category. I only went to a gym for the 1st time yesterday and the man said he's wanting me to pull 180 kg. I've never done a 1RM before but I pulled 160 kg yesterday in his gym which was quite hard but I could have grinded out a bit more, but he said to only burst a blood vessel on the day of the comp lol.

what should I expect, I've never competed before at all and is 180 kg possible by 19th April or is it adventurous?

Cheers in advance. long live S&P

It's surely possible if you have pulled 160 already. Just don't wreck yourself.

yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss, soz bro lol. Just i'm pumped as hell already.

If you can do 140x6 you should be able to do it already. For 75kg weight class, that seems like a kind of small target, though. You should try training deadlift and PRing for real to see where you stand.

Do as much deadlifting and posterior chain work as you can in the time you have left. About two weeks out from the meet, stop deadlifting, pull what you plan to open with a week out from the contest.

Opener-Standard rule is something you can triple.

It's very common for people to hit all time PR's on the DL in competition, as opposed to the other two where often times gym lifts trump competition bests. The deadlift benefits most from being extremely aroused, and a meet will do that to you.

Open with something easy to get on the board, shoot for a reasonable PR for your second, and really on the third, you may as well aim for the stars if you hit your 2nd attempt. You never know, and you've already got the lift you wanted, so go for broke on your third.

You don't have a ton of time to prepare, so I'd do a heavy DL day, and a "speed" DL day (maybe off blocks) plus whatever posterior chain and upperback work you're fond of.

And congrats on taking to the platform, even if you bomb (which won't happen if you pick a reasonable opener) you'll have taken a HUGE step.

cheers for the info everyone.

Thanks Carnel, I'm going back to the gym today and he's getting me to deadlift of blocks and he wants me to do heavy lockouts.

So really my 1st lift ("opener") should be a heavy one but one I know I can handle?

So really my 1st lift ("opener") should be a heavy one but one I know I can handle?

I've been told it should be about what you can do for a 3rm, or ~90% of your best (Carnal said this above I believe).

I've also been told your opener should be a weight that you can triple.

I read it right here in this thread actually.

*dies*

Pick something you can lift for a triple for your opening weight. That's a good rule of thumb.

Your opening weight should be something VERY easy for you for a few reasons. 1.) You don't want to tired yourself out, 2.) You want to show the judges that you can perform the lift with ease, 3.) If you're going to be nervous go up there and pick something up that you know that you can.

People usually go balls-to-the-wall at DL-only meets, so expect to see some retarded-huge numbers from a lot of people. For example, my last PR pull was 285. I had a full power meet last weekend and did the following for my 3 lifts: 259-286-303 (weird numbers, but the plates were in kg). For my DL-only meet last October, when I thought that I was hitting a wall around 230, my pulls were 195-220-240.

Also, it helps me not to know the exact weight on the bar. They announce it in kg and I don't take the time to do the "*2.2" in my head, I just get up there and pull it. So, if you have a friend with you, have them put in your attempts. All you need to do at the weigh-in is get in your opener, and that's it. Feel free to PM if you have more Qs.

cheers everyone. The coach said my first lift will be 160, then 170 and then 180. If I pull 170 with ease he might let me put it up to 185kg on my last lift.

will do Blonde Warrior

Really? Did you take this into consideration?

No. It just seems someone interested in a deadlift competition would probably deadlift at least sometimes, and probably have a pretty good one. I haven't met someone under 16 that could even deadlift 315, so maybe I'm crazy. I just figure most of the people here that are 75kg can deadlift 4 plates. I guess we can take pride in the fact that we deadlift more than 16 year olds, woot.

are you serious? I thought deadlift standards would have been higher than that for under 16's. I'm just competeing to see how I do I have no idea what under 16 records are.

I know some under 18 records but no under 16.

are you serious? I thought deadlift standards would have been higher than that for under 16's. I'm just competeing to see how I do I have no idea what under 16 records are.

I know some under 18 records but no under 16.

Well, I didn't think age would really matter that much. I doubt anyone that trains deadlift for more than a year could have less than a 180kg deadlift.

Do as much deadlifting and posterior chain work as you can in the time you have left. About two weeks out from the meet, stop deadlifting, pull what you plan to open with a week out from the contest.

Opener-Standard rule is something you can triple.

It's very common for people to hit all time PR's on the DL in competition, as opposed to the other two where often times gym lifts trump competition bests. The deadlift benefits most from being extremely aroused, and a meet will do that to you.

Open with something easy to get on the board, shoot for a reasonable PR for your second, and really on the third, you may as well aim for the stars if you hit your 2nd attempt. You never know, and you've already got the lift you wanted, so go for broke on your third.

You don't have a ton of time to prepare, so I'd do a heavy DL day, and a "speed" DL day (maybe off blocks) plus whatever posterior chain and upperback work you're fond of.

And congrats on taking to the platform, even if you bomb (which won't happen if you pick a reasonable opener) you'll have taken a HUGE step.

lol thats what the coach said to me today, about the Heavy DL day and then a speed day and some assistance exercises.

Oh yeah just after re-reading the post I noticed "Opener-Standard rule is something you can triple" lol my bad.

cheers carnal

Well, I didn't think age would really matter that much. I doubt anyone that trains deadlift for more than a year could have less than a 180kg deadlift.
You don't think there is much strength difference between a 15 year old and a 25 year old?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back