My first bjj tournament next month. Am nervous and don't know what to expect.

I am new to this forum and a long time reader. I am going to be competing in my first bjj tournament next month. I plan on doing whitebelt gi absolute masters, and fighting in my division which is LHW masters. I am guaranteed at least 2 matches. My expectations are not very high being that this is my first tournament. I would be happy winning my first match in each division. SO if I go 2-2 and not get tapped I would consider it a successful tournament. Each match is 5 min long.

My strategy is going to be to play the top game being that my guard isn't my strength. My biggest concern are obviously wrestlers. I am nervous about competing.

A few questions for the members?

How did you guys do in your first tournament?
Were you guys nervous?
Do you think its a good idea to compete in the absolute? I may have to go up against a 240 pound plus guy.

Any tips and what to expect would be greatly appreciated.

Unless your a prodigy, wrestler, or a great athlete than I think losing your first tournament is actually a really good thing. I competed after 5 months and had go background whatsoever and I lost all 3 matches and it really motivated me and showed me how hard I need to train. Losing really shows you what you need to improve on in the future. So go out there and lose! :icon_chee haha jk good luck

Expect the tournament to run late and you will be there all day. Stretch warm up and have someone you train with to go with you and you can drill off to the side before your matches.

Remember that the others are white belts and nervous too. Drilling before will get you in the right frame of mind, and will keep your mind off the competition. Definitely do the open weight since you will already be there and the experience will be good.

My biggest advice though, is to go into it for the experience, not the win. Don't let your pride and adrenaline do something like not tap. I made it to the finals in one tournament and got caught in a kimura. Pride and adrenaline flowing through my veins, I didn't tap. I was very lucky that the ref called it. I was pissed at first, but soon realized it was a good call. Why shred my shoulder to win a jiu jitsu tourny, then be out for 6 months.

EDIT: nevermind, I just realized how old this thread is. I was searching for another thread and came across this one. Hopefully my old man wisdom can help another noob.

Back