My Fifth & Third Fights

Jimmy Cerra

Amateur Fighter
@Black
Reaction score
Hey, sorry I've been gone for a while. I've been very busy. I just lost a good fight to Matt Friedeborn from Daddis. It was a fun match, though! I definitely have a lot of stuff to work on, beginning with my training routine. I'm adding more boxing and a focusing on using angles. Gotta do more wrestling and BJJ, of course. But that is a constant thing. Here it is!

At long last, here is the video of my third fight too (from back in February). I actually won this one. Some of you wanted to see it, but I didn't see the video myself until last night!

If you notice anything in the fights, let me know! Advice is always appreciated. Both fights were at Matrix Fights in Philly. I really like fighting there. They put on a great show with exciting fights and fairly matched opponents. I kept making the trip from Pittsburgh to fight there; because, I really liked the event! Check them out if you are in Philly.

Last edited:
Great job Frodo, keep up the good work, and thanks for the update, keep em coming.

I love seeing non-grapplers run from guard.

I have 2 minds:

1) If it was self-defense, then I won. I made my opponent run away! I defended myself!

2) In the sport, it is a valid strategy. I agreed to those rules by signing up. So I should figure out how to keep him there.

I have 2 minds:

1) If it was self-defense, then I won. I made my opponent run away! I defended myself!

2) In the sport, it is a valid strategy. I agreed to those rules by signing up. So I should figure out how to keep him there.

Yeah, I know. I don't think it's an invalid strategy...I just think it's funny.

"I'm gonna punch your as.....CRAP, GUARD.....RUN!!!!"

I'd say work on throwing more strikes to set up your takedowns (your takedowns are solid IMO). Your boxing looks a little awkward, like you're rushing into him to tap him or something, use the jab in your fights.

However, I don't train striking, so I'm not in a position to criticize you, you could probably outgrapple and outstrike me. Good fights though, bro.

Your very resilient with your takedowns and have good cardio, like a lightweight jon fitch or something lol. Maybe adding some leg kicks to your arsenal would be good since it would weaken your opponents legs and make them more susceptible to takedowns. I'm not a fighter though so I take it for what it's worth. Thanx for posting.

Your very resilient with your takedowns and have good cardio, like a lightweight jon fitch or something lol. Maybe adding some leg kicks to your arsenal would be good since it would weaken your opponents legs and make them more susceptible to takedowns. I'm not a fighter though so I take it for what it's worth. Thanx for posting.

That's exactly what I thought when I saw the videos

Great fights Frodo! you're relentless with those takedowns.

I'm not really in a position to offer much advice to you, but as a lanky guy you're weight (like most of the guys you seem to fight) I can tall you that I hate sparring with explosive short stocky guys that have well timed head movement. If you're going to be adding boxing to your game its my amateur/mediocre opinion that you should work a lot of head movement and timing drills so you can get inside to the clinch cleaner and easier. Once you're there you look real comfortable.

Your shots are quick but you seem to stop and/or get stuck, especially in the 1st fight. If you can ad a circular motion towards your opponent after the shot you would have taken him down IMO.

He did have good hips and apparently a wrestling background..OH BTW at the end of the 1st round in the 1st fight you posted you nearly put yourself in a spladle by stepping over his leg like that when your head was trapped under his body and he was controlling the other leg.

Be careful it may allow an opponent to come out in top side if he is savvy.

You are tenacious as hell though, Props!

Great stuff and fun to watch!!!!

Is there no punching to the head on the ground in these fights?

1st fight, a small mistake that changed the whole fight was when you went the wrong way after getting the single leg early on.

Also, all joking aside i think you should work a little on your "Gracie push kick to clinch" There were a couple times when you were close to getting the clinch but backed out.

You jump in really nicely to get the leg on your takedown attempts, but maybe work on doing it with a bit more "wrestling" technique. You explode into the takedown to get hold of the leg, but you are taking all your power out of your legs and body because you are basically just diving in for the leg and deciding what to do from there instead of turning the corner and driving. I would work on powering up and thru the takedowns to turn the corner. You have a fast shot, you are just shooting yourself in the foot because once you get there you have no powerbase to continue to drive.

Great fight, that guy was really good at stuffing the takedown and starting to work up. That fight could have gone either way, couple times you had him were you wanted and were close.

Any chance of you making 135lbs?

Second fight was great, only thing i could say is again a little mistake. You had the single leg wrapped up and then you hoisted it pretty high..... instead of leading him out to the middle of the cage and tripping him down, you pushed him into the cage and gave him something (cage) to lean on to help him not go down. Also maybe work a little harder on getting that single leg tucked nice and deep inbetween your legs so you can control him.

I know it seems silly or just one little instance, but for you againts these long guys, one takedown to control could be all it takes. Hate to see you miss these early chances to get the fight to your world because you "turned the wrong way" or "pushed instead of pulled".

Again thanks for posting!!!!!

Last edited:
Great stuff and fun to watch!!!!

Is there no punching to the head on the ground in these fights?

1st fight, a small mistake that changed the whole fight was when you went the wrong way after getting the single leg early on.

Also, all joking aside i think you should work a little on your "Gracie push kick to clinch" There were a couple times when you were close to getting the clinch but backed out.

You jump in really nicely to get the leg on your takedown attempts, but maybe work on doing it with a bit more "wrestling" technique. You explode into the takedown to get hold of the leg, but you are taking all your power out of your legs and body because you are basically just diving in for the leg and deciding what to do from there instead of turning the corner and driving. I would work on powering up and thru the takedowns to turn the corner. You have a fast shot, you are just shooting yourself in the foot because once you get there you have no powerbase to continue to drive.

Great fight, that guy was really good at stuffing the takedown and starting to work up. That fight could have gone either way, couple times you had him were you wanted and were close.

Any chance of you making 135lbs?

Second fight was great, only thing i could say is again a little mistake. You had the single leg wrapped up and then you hoisted it pretty high..... instead of leading him out to the middle of the cage and tripping him down, you pushed him into the cage and gave him something (cage) to lean on to help him not go down. Also maybe work a little harder on getting that single leg tucked nice and deep inbetween your legs so you can control him.

I know it seems silly or just one little instance, but for you againts these long guys, one takedown to control could be all it takes. Hate to see you miss these early chances to get the fight to your world because you "turned the wrong way" or "pushed instead of pulled".

Again thanks for posting!!!!!

Thank you! Believe it or not, but the first fight posted (from June) was at 135! I weighed in at 133 too! The other one (from February) was at 145, though I only weighed 142 or 141 for that one IIRC. I felt physically fine, so I'll try to keep fighting at 135. Both of those fights were in PA, so no head shots on the ground. My next fight is in Ohio, so I can punch the head again.

I have to drill turning the corner, you are correct. Lifting THEN turning/flaring my arms. IDK why I'm not doing that, even though I know I have to do it. Or switch to run the pipe, to double again, etc. I have a series. IDKY I'm not doing it... It is just different in the cage. My brain farts... haha!

Congratulations on two solid performances. I didn't watch the fights to score them round by round but the fight that you lost was much closer than 30-27 X3 implies.

For a guy your size your hand speed (standup) could be improved significantly. Your takedowns are promising but you don't seem to convert that to a top position. You looked fairly polished. In short, you can be proud of yourself. Most of us are impressed; the others are delusional. Once again congratulations.

I have to drill turning the corner, you are correct. Lifting THEN turning/flaring my arms. IDK why I'm not doing that, even though I know I have to do it. Or switch to run the pipe, to double again, etc. I have a series. IDKY I'm not doing it... It is just different in the cage. My brain farts... haha!

Yeah i hear ya man. Eching it into your muscle memory in training should help, but there is something scary about "committing" like that in a REAL FIGHT!!!!!! Its almost like "if i can just get that leg i will be fine".

Drilling will take the fear out i think.

Here is a vid that might help. You have a great way of getting into that single, so maybe take that and turn it into a double. Lots of head pressure as you tap below the the knee.

let me know what you think and any actual "wrestlers" hopefully will chim in.

TS you already said what I wanted to say . . . regarding the boxing and the angles.

Props bro!

Back