My experience as a BJJ-er attempting fight choreo

lethalazn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Aside from BJJ, I also do comedy as a hobby, used to be standup comedy, now it's with videos

So for my last comedy, there was a fight scene near the end of that movie (it's mainly a black comedy) and I figured "cool....I could incorporate from BJJ into it, I'll start a thread on Sherdog asking for ideas for moves! I'll watch Flashpoint/SPL a few times to study the camera angles. Since I know BJJ, there would be all these cool moves I could put in the movie!" and etc.

Sounds awesome on paper right? Well I forgot one important thing... (I can't think of a good excuse as to WHY for the moment.) I was going to be BEHIND the camera during the fight scene, using actors who haven't had any real martial arts training before. I somehow magically forgot that it took people weeks/months to learn a good armbar (after learning how to breakfall) and somehow was thinking they'd learn guard sweeps, drop guillotines in under an hour...until I realized how dumb that idea was JUST then

Well, in the end I just taught the guys how to breakfall, shoulder rolls, a sweep & Knee on belly.

So hopefully you were at least amused by my stupidity, now enjoy the results
(DISCLAIMER: This movie is TITLED the "The Blooper Reel" it is not an actual Blooper Reel (you'll know why it's called that when you hit the ending)
YouTube - The Blooper Reel

Last edited:
Thats pretty wack. At least you can joke about it though

I guess the most rational explanation for that was that I was pulling the Doritos out of my gym bag (ha ha...) without looking at it, just ripped it open, filmed the entire movie NOT realizing it was upside down...

So this blooper reel . . . is not a real blooper reel?

So this blooper reel . . . is not a real blooper reel?

LOL! Nope....it's a movie called "The Blooper Reel" because of the way it ended :icon_lol: (you DID watch to the end right?)

Funny enough, The Blooper Reel OF the Blooper Reel is on my channel as well ol

You know what, I'm adding a disclaimer before the link LOL

Back