My deadlift form...

Dragul

White Belt
Reaction score
First of all, "hi", and please excuse me if my English isnt too fluid, since its not my mother tongue.
I've been lurking this forums for almost two years, and never decided to register. But now, after seeing that there are so many knowleadgeable people here, I think you could maybe help me.
I have been roaming around gyms for years; some boxing, some MT, some general fitness... As astounding as it sounds, I never dared to try and do "the big lifts". Up to now.
I have decided to begin a seriuos strength program, based around squatting, ddling and bench pressing, three times a week.
Im very conscious about my health -im living in a foreign country, without health insurance- and I have invested many hours of my life trying to learn how to perform squats and deadlifts with at least decent form. Unfortunately, I have absolutely no access to coaching, and I must get my technique from YT videos. However, despite mirrors, I cannot know if im doing it right. "Knowing" steo by step how to perform a movement doesnt mean that im succeeding in it, and I dont want to learn that I was doing it wrong when its already too late to fix my body.
This is me performing 8 reps of very light deadlifting. How bad is my form?
[YT]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJW_3qxy_XM[/YT]

Lots of thanks in advance.

I think your knees are too far over the bar, your hitting them on the way down. You should be aiming to glide the bar up and down your shin. Also I think that you could bring your hips through a little more at the top of the movement.

Your English is excellent btw TS, no need to apologize for that.

Thanks for correcting my video, SPeeit, I thught it was showing right, but it wasnt.
Fenderson, thanks for your critique, I think that is one of my many mistakes; i will try to work on it.
And Zankou, well, thank you too; since im not a native english speaker, i usualy feel I sound awkward and no very fluid.
Thanks ato everybody, once again.

I gotta be honest its pretty terrible.

Set-up

Step to the bar with your feet where you would place them if you where jumping up. Line the bar with the middle of your foot. This is actually closer than you think. Now bring your shins to the bar. Now lower your hands to the bar.

Ahh fuck it. Google how to deadlift. Should be some good videos.

The way you approach the bar and set up is funny. This is my favorite deadlift tutorial check it out:
[Yt]1nRRlk6264I[/MEDIA]

Your starting with your knees bent way over the bar. At the start position, I'd be surprised if your weight isn't more towards your toes than heels. This makes your bar path off as it almost follows the bend of your legs going forward and then comes back. Try to focus on having your shins much more vertical with weight on your heels and pulling back.

The good news is that you aren't doing anything that I'd consider dangerous or injury prone unless you really tried loading up on the weight. Your back isn't rounding, you seem in control of the weight, you aren't getting folded over, etc. You are just pulling very very inefficiently. You have the right idea with your upper body, but your lower body is all our of whack.

Hi and welcome,

The major fix for you is to just feel that the pull is a hip hinge, not a squat. Instead of dropping straight down into position, here's how I coach it to feel the hip hinge:

Knots of shoes under bar, or about 2-3 finger widths from bar to shin. Then take your hands and literally chop your hips so your ass sticks back and you fold at the hips, similar to a half good morning. Don't worry about setting your back at this point, it's fine if it's rounded. Take your outside shin grip, then squat absolutely no lower than it takes for your shins to touch the bar. Big belly air, set your back hard, pull your chest up, get tight in the lats. You should squeeze yourself into this position, taking the slack out as you do. Then you're ready to pull.

Give that a try and see if it fixes your butt down/knee tracking issues. Good luck!

Edit: Here's a good clip of Eric Lilliebridge, showing more or less what I'm trying to describehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQlO8w6JNcA

Last edited:
Here's another good video that I like:

[YT]Syt7A23YnpA[/YT]

As has been said, you appear to approaching the lift like a squat motion when really a deadlift is a hip hinge motion that is initiated with leg drive. Think about pushing your feet into the ground to first break the bar off the ground and then when the bar is around your knees push your hips through or fuck the bar.

Oh so you did! I saw the link and thought it was literally a link to a google search for how to deadlift, ha!

Wow, lots.of.thanks, wasnt expecting so many answers. Now i can clearly see whar all.of u have said. Im almost squatting the bar up!
Im glad ti know, however, that im not risking my back. That was my main concern! Now, all of u have clearly said step by step howbto fix my approach. I will work on it, and update u asap. Again, lots of.thanks. i can now see that i was pretty much performing a strange squat and nothing more haha.

Back