My Dark Tower Dream Cast

I saw that Looper was on last night and thought Joseph Gordon-Levitt would be good for Eddie as well.

Ian McShane would make a kick ass Eldred Jonas.

For the last decade or so, an adaptation of Stephen King's "The Dark Tower" series (eight books) has been in the works with multiple studios/directors/actors linked to the project at different points.

I'd given up hope on ever seeing this story makes its way to film as the project always seemed to hit a point where it died with each studio that considered making it, but this morning I noticed in Dragonlord's Movie News & Notes Thread that Sony has slated it for release in January of 2017. The article also identifies Nikolaj Arcel (director of A Royal Affair and screenplay writer on The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo) as being "at the helm" for the project, with announced credits as TDT's director and screenplay writer on IMDb.

Fans of the series know how difficult casting for the project would be. Eight books worth of content would require close to a career-defining commitment from most of the actors and actresses involved (at least for the ka-tet) and might prevent them from being able to do other projects during that time. Viggo Mortensen was initially sought for the role of Roland Deschain (main protagonist in TDT) but backed out due to the time commitment required, having already endured a similar process for The Lord of the Rings trilogy. Javier Bardem and Russell Crowe have also been linked to the role in the past but never got past the point the studios couldn't in bringing the adaptation to the big screen.

While I don't expect the project to be able to land this cast for reasons explained above and typical scheduling/compensation issues, I started thinking about who I'd like to see in most major roles if they could get anyone they wanted. Here's my Dark Tower dream cast with character descriptions and actor/actress screenshots.

ROLAND DESCHAIN: Roland is the hero of the Dark Tower series. He is his world's last-and perhaps greatest-gunslinger. His quest is to find the Dark Tower, the nexus of the time/space continuum.
535510-josh-brolin-entamera-le-tournage-de-637x0-3.jpg

Josh Brolin - Yeah, I wish Clint Eastwood were 40 years younger too, but we need to look elsewhere. I saw a lot of Roland in Brolin's portrayal of Llewelyn Moss in No Country for Old Men, and think he'd be great for the role.

THE MAN IN BLACK: A nemesis of Roland, he is a demonic sorcerer and an emissary of the Crimson King.
details-on-benedict-cumberbatchs-star-wars-vii-role.jpg

Benedict Cumberbatch - Dug his portrayal of Khan in the latest Star Trek film and his voicework as Smaug in The Hobbit films, he's one of the few I feel capable of bringing the wit and devilishness of this character to life.

EDDIE DEAN: A major protagonist and member of Roland's ka-tet, Eddie is a heroin addict and drug runner working for Enrico Balazar. Roland draws Eddie into Mid-World to help him reach TDT through one of the magical freestanding doors on the edge of the Western Sea.
1812_i1_james_mcavoy.jpg

I've seen a lot of talk for Aaron Paul in the role, though I'd prefer McAvoy. We all know Paul can nail the part of a junkie but it's the characters progression past that point I feel McAvoy would be better for.

SUSANNAH: Another member of Roland's ka-tet, Roland draws her from the New York when of 1964, just a few months after President Kennedy's assassination. Susannah arose from the joint personalities of Odetta Holmes (heir to the Holmes Dental Industry fortune) and her secret evil double, Detta Walker. Detta Walker came to life after five-year-old Odetta was hit on the head by a brick, one dropped by the psychopath Jack Mort. Jack Mort entered Odetta/Detta's life again in 1959 when he pushed her in front of the A train at Christopher Street Station. The train severed her legs, just above the knee.
screen-shot-2012-11-06-at-22-54-16.png

Naomi Harris - If she were younger Angela Bassett would be perfect here, but I don't think Susannah's getting her groove back in this one. I've only seen Naomi in 28 Days Later and a few of the recent Bond films but was impressed by her ability to portray both strength and vulnerability, a crucial element of the Detta/Odetta/Susannah character.

JAKE CHAMBERS: Jake is the youngest member of Roland's ka-tet. He is a blue-eyed, blond haired, eleven-year-old sixth grader. Jake is transported from New York to Mid-World under nefarious circumstances, where Roland meets him in the Way Station of the Mohaine Desert.
Jurassic-World-HD-Still-Ty-Simpkins.jpg

Ty Simpkins - Just saw him in Jurassic World, he's a dead ringer for Jake and seems to have the chops to capture the characters maturity and sense of wonder onscreen.

Fans of the series, let's palaver on who you'd like to see as some of the characters in TDT and what you think of those listed above, shall we? You say true, I say thankya!

Wow! I clicked on the thread expecting something ridiculous but you nailed it. Great picks.

I just want this movie/mini-series to happen. There's been too many teases with this.

Wow! I clicked on the thread expecting something ridiculous but you nailed it. Great picks.

Thanks man, now that they are casting it's interesting to see the choices they are going with.

We officially have our Gunslinger and Man in Black, per SK.

If you read the OP you know Idris wouldn't be my first choice (what could have been, Brolin!) but I'll get over it, they were never going to be able to make everyone happy with these casting decisions. McC as the MiB alone has me on board, can't wait to see who they cast the rest of the way.

Thanks man, now that they are casting it's interesting to see the choices they are going with.

If you read the OP you know Idris wouldn't be my first choice (what could have been, Brolin!) but I'll get over it, they were never going to be able to make everyone happy with these casting decisions. McC as the MiB alone has me on board, can't wait to see who they cast the rest of the way.

It's going to be really interesting to see how they adapt the Susannah storyliine - much of books 2 and 3 were about managing the racial tension between Odetta, Roland and Eddie.

Like you said, while I'm not thrilled about the casting choice, Elba is a fantastic actor, so I'm excited to see how he takes on the role.

I'm just praying that they don't muddle with the source material too much. If this turns into another World War Z (where the book and the movie were not even remotely the same thing), then I will give up on Hollywood book adaptations all together.

EDIT: I just read that they are not following the chronology of the books and are skipping number 1 all together. Don't know how I feel about this....

Tbut I'll get over it, they were never going to be able to make everyone happy with these casting decisions.

"casting decision" =/= fuck the original let's full dickriding SJW

They just fucked on purpose the loyalty of the series to the books for anybody that waited it for years

For the last decade or so, an adaptation of Stephen King's "The Dark Tower" series (eight books) has been in the works with multiple studios/directors/actors linked to the project at different points.

I'd given up hope on ever seeing this story makes its way to film as the project always seemed to hit a point where it died with each studio that considered making it, but this morning I noticed in @Dragonlordxxxxx's Movie News & Notes Thread that Sony has slated it for release in January of 2017. The article also identifies Nikolaj Arcel (director of A Royal Affair and screenplay writer on The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo) as being "at the helm" for the project, with announced credits as TDT's director and screenplay writer on IMDb.

Fans of the series know how difficult casting for the project would be. Eight books worth of content would require close to a career-defining commitment from most of the actors and actresses involved (at least for the ka-tet) and might prevent them from being able to do other projects during that time. Viggo Mortensen was initially sought for the role of Roland Deschain (main protagonist in TDT) but backed out due to the time commitment required, having already endured a similar process for The Lord of the Rings trilogy. Javier Bardem and Russell Crowe have also been linked to the role in the past but never got past the point the studios couldn't in bringing the adaptation to the big screen.

While I don't expect the project to be able to land this cast for reasons explained above and typical scheduling/compensation issues, I started thinking about who I'd like to see in most major roles if they could get anyone they wanted. Here's my Dark Tower dream cast with character descriptions and actor/actress screenshots.

ROLAND DESCHAIN: Roland is the hero of the Dark Tower series. He is his world's last-and perhaps greatest-gunslinger. His quest is to find the Dark Tower, the nexus of the time/space continuum.
535510-josh-brolin-entamera-le-tournage-de-637x0-3.jpg

Josh Brolin - Yeah, I wish Clint Eastwood were 40 years younger too, but we need to look elsewhere. I saw a lot of Roland in Brolin's portrayal of Llewelyn Moss in No Country for Old Men, and think he'd be great for the role.

THE MAN IN BLACK: A nemesis of Roland, he is a demonic sorcerer and an emissary of the Crimson King.
details-on-benedict-cumberbatchs-star-wars-vii-role.jpg

Benedict Cumberbatch - Dug his portrayal of Khan in the latest Star Trek film and his voicework as Smaug in The Hobbit films, he's one of the few I feel capable of bringing the wit and devilishness of this character to life.

EDDIE DEAN: A major protagonist and member of Roland's ka-tet, Eddie is a heroin addict and drug runner working for Enrico Balazar. Roland draws Eddie into Mid-World to help him reach TDT through one of the magical freestanding doors on the edge of the Western Sea.
james-mcavoy-profile.jpg

I've seen a lot of talk for Aaron Paul in the role, though I'd prefer McAvoy. We all know Paul can nail the part of a junkie but it's the characters progression past that point I feel McAvoy would be better for.

SUSANNAH: Another member of Roland's ka-tet, Roland draws her from the New York when of 1964, just a few months after President Kennedy's assassination. Susannah arose from the joint personalities of Odetta Holmes (heir to the Holmes Dental Industry fortune) and her secret evil double, Detta Walker. Detta Walker came to life after five-year-old Odetta was hit on the head by a brick, one dropped by the psychopath Jack Mort. Jack Mort entered Odetta/Detta's life again in 1959 when he pushed her in front of the A train at Christopher Street Station. The train severed her legs, just above the knee.
screen-shot-2012-11-06-at-22-54-16.png

Naomi Harris - If she were younger Angela Bassett would be perfect here, but I don't think Susannah's getting her groove back in this one. I've only seen Naomi in 28 Days Later and a few of the recent Bond films but was impressed by her ability to portray both strength and vulnerability, a crucial element of the Detta/Odetta/Susannah character.

JAKE CHAMBERS: Jake is the youngest member of Roland's ka-tet. He is a blue-eyed, blond haired, eleven-year-old sixth grader. Jake is transported from New York to Mid-World under nefarious circumstances, where Roland meets him in the Way Station of the Mohaine Desert.
Jurassic-World-HD-Still-Ty-Simpkins.jpg

Ty Simpkins - Just saw him in Jurassic World, he's a dead ringer for Jake and seems to have the chops to capture the characters maturity and sense of wonder onscreen.

Fans of the series, let's palaver on who you'd like to see as some of the characters in TDT and what you think of those listed above, shall we? You say true, I say thankya!

Here's a few more on the fly:

Father Callahan
si-gleeson-cp-01949775.jpg

Brendan Gleeson

Cort
rutger-hauer.jpg

Rutger Hauer

Gotta admit, I really like your choice of actors. Brolin has been on fire, and I felt he did great in the old west theme Jonah Hex. Cumberbatch is flawless in everything. Gleason and Hauer have portrayed some great charaters and would suit these roles well. The other two I do not know as well, but fuck it, your AV says it all, with the greatest actor to ever grace the silver screen, you know what you are talking about, and I am putting you in my Cool Book.

I'm really happy with MM and Idris Elba will be great.. Although not "conventional" it's a fantasy series so I have no problem with casting the best available actor in this scenario where Roland's experience as a gunslinger is what molded him and turned him into who he is as opposed to his experience as being of a particular skin color.

It's going to be really interesting to see how they adapt the Susannah storyliine - much of books 2 and 3 were about managing the racial tension between Odetta, Roland and Eddie.

Like you said, while I'm not thrilled about the casting choice, Elba is a fantastic actor, so I'm excited to see how he takes on the role.

I'm just praying that they don't muddle with the source material too much. If this turns into another World War Z (where the book and the movie were not even remotely the same thing), then I will give up on Hollywood book adaptations all together.

EDIT: I just read that they are not following the chronology of the books and are skipping number 1 all together. Don't know how I feel about this....

Skipping #1? WTF. Whatever, I'll still watch.

Here's an EW article from today that gets more into specifics of the casting/characters/timelines.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/2...ephen-king-idris-elba-and-matthew-mcconaughey

Maybe the haters should simmer down:

Arcel acknowledges that skin color actually was an important factor in the relationship between Roland and Susannah, the black amputee he drew into his world from her life in 1964. In the books, she is not thrilled to find herself yanked into another dimension by a grizzled white guy. “Some fans are asking, understandably, ‘What about the racial tension?’” Arcel says. “But as the story progresses that will be made clear, how we’ll deal with all those things.”

Back