My Dark Tower Dream Cast

TheWalkinDude

Endeavor to Persevere
Platinum Member
Reaction score
For the last decade or so, an adaptation of Stephen King's "The Dark Tower" series (eight books) has been in the works with multiple studios/directors/actors linked to the project at different points.

I'd given up hope on ever seeing this story makes its way to film as the project always seemed to hit a point where it died with each studio that considered making it, but this morning I noticed in @Dragonlordxxxxx's Movie News & Notes Thread that Sony has slated it for release in January of 2017. The article also identifies Nikolaj Arcel (director of A Royal Affair and screenplay writer on The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo) as being "at the helm" for the project, with announced credits as TDT's director and screenplay writer on IMDb.

Fans of the series know how difficult casting for the project would be. Eight books worth of content would require close to a career-defining commitment from most of the actors and actresses involved (at least for the ka-tet) and might prevent them from being able to do other projects during that time. Viggo Mortensen was initially sought for the role of Roland Deschain (main protagonist in TDT) but backed out due to the time commitment required, having already endured a similar process for The Lord of the Rings trilogy. Javier Bardem and Russell Crowe have also been linked to the role in the past but never got past the point the studios couldn't in bringing the adaptation to the big screen.

While I don't expect the project to be able to land this cast for reasons explained above and typical scheduling/compensation issues, I started thinking about who I'd like to see in most major roles if they could get anyone they wanted. Here's my Dark Tower dream cast with character descriptions and actor/actress screenshots.

ROLAND DESCHAIN: Roland is the hero of the Dark Tower series. He is his world's last-and perhaps greatest-gunslinger. His quest is to find the Dark Tower, the nexus of the time/space continuum.
535510-josh-brolin-entamera-le-tournage-de-637x0-3.jpg

Josh Brolin - Yeah, I wish Clint Eastwood were 40 years younger too, but we need to look elsewhere. I saw a lot of Roland in Brolin's portrayal of Llewelyn Moss in No Country for Old Men, and think he'd be great for the role.

THE MAN IN BLACK: A nemesis of Roland, he is a demonic sorcerer and an emissary of the Crimson King.
details-on-benedict-cumberbatchs-star-wars-vii-role.jpg

Benedict Cumberbatch - Dug his portrayal of Khan in the latest Star Trek film and his voicework as Smaug in The Hobbit films, he's one of the few I feel capable of bringing the wit and devilishness of this character to life.

EDDIE DEAN: A major protagonist and member of Roland's ka-tet, Eddie is a heroin addict and drug runner working for Enrico Balazar. Roland draws Eddie into Mid-World to help him reach TDT through one of the magical freestanding doors on the edge of the Western Sea.
james-mcavoy-profile.jpg

I've seen a lot of talk for Aaron Paul in the role, though I'd prefer McAvoy. We all know Paul can nail the part of a junkie but it's the characters progression past that point I feel McAvoy would be better for.

SUSANNAH: Another member of Roland's ka-tet, Roland draws her from the New York when of 1964, just a few months after President Kennedy's assassination. Susannah arose from the joint personalities of Odetta Holmes (heir to the Holmes Dental Industry fortune) and her secret evil double, Detta Walker. Detta Walker came to life after five-year-old Odetta was hit on the head by a brick, one dropped by the psychopath Jack Mort. Jack Mort entered Odetta/Detta's life again in 1959 when he pushed her in front of the A train at Christopher Street Station. The train severed her legs, just above the knee.
screen-shot-2012-11-06-at-22-54-16.png

Naomi Harris - If she were younger Angela Bassett would be perfect here, but I don't think Susannah's getting her groove back in this one. I've only seen Naomi in 28 Days Later and a few of the recent Bond films but was impressed by her ability to portray both strength and vulnerability, a crucial element of the Detta/Odetta/Susannah character.

JAKE CHAMBERS: Jake is the youngest member of Roland's ka-tet. He is a blue-eyed, blond haired, eleven-year-old sixth grader. Jake is transported from New York to Mid-World under nefarious circumstances, where Roland meets him in the Way Station of the Mohaine Desert.
Jurassic-World-HD-Still-Ty-Simpkins.jpg

Ty Simpkins - Just saw him in Jurassic World, he's a dead ringer for Jake and seems to have the chops to capture the characters maturity and sense of wonder onscreen.

Fans of the series, let's palaver on who you'd like to see as some of the characters in TDT and what you think of those listed above, shall we? You say true, I say thankya!

Here's a few more on the fly:

Father Callahan
si-gleeson-cp-01949775.jpg

Brendan Gleeson

Cort
rutger-hauer.jpg

Rutger Hauer

Last edited:
Brolin is a good choice for the lead. can't really picture any of the others right now, but maybe they could just drop the Susannah character?

My favorite book series, and I am really psyched about the movie (and hope that they stay somewhat true to the source material).

I always thought that cast of Justified could basically step right into the roll of the Dark Tower characters (although Tim might be a tad old play Eddie).

Timothy Olyphant is the ultimate Roland

latest

James Franco as Eddie

jfranco.jpg

Erica Tazel as Susannah

Erica+Tazel+Premiere+FX+Justified+Season+4+ku0Plz7nyYal.jpg

And how can I forget Walton Goggins as the man in black:

1424589068walton%20goggins.jpg

Don't really care who plays Jake - never liked his character.

And for some reason, I always pictured Oy as a Pug in my head while reading the book:

Pug_pup_PaulCotney_AnimalpHotography.jpeg

Great choices BB, I haven't seen Justified but Olyphant is right up there on my list as well (Deadwood forever) and Franco could def pull Eddie off.

Hard to say what they'd do for Oy but I see Andy Serkis all over it, that's his bag baby.

I'm Sorry but the book was awful and King is a hack.

Thewalkindude is a great poster though, so I'm torn.

Thanks for reminding me to start my reread of this series.

a combo of hauer and gleeson is exactly how i imagine cort.

Thanks for reminding me to start my reread of this series.

NP dude, I enjoyed it much more the second time through, picked up on a ton I missed the first time or forgot as made my way through the story.

I remember when they were taking about doing a hbo series mixed with films years ago and it had Javier Bardem's name attached to it... Maybe they could try another w/ Bardem and Brolin?

I'm Sorry but the book was awful and King is a hack.

King isn't a hack, he just can't write endings for shit... Although I recently read the JFK one (11.22.63) and that was actually well done all around

i'm having a hard time believing the good dr actually read "the book"

i'm having a hard time believing the good dr actually read "the book"

I did, but just the first one. I barely finished it, and I'm a big fantasy reader. I started the 2nd and just couldn't do it. I did read the synopsis of the other books and read how they end.

I read a lot. All sorts of books and authors from all different genres. TDT series wanders and meanders through every possible fantasy cliche without much direction or cohesion. King should of stayed in his lane and continued to pump out new horror books every 10-12 months.

dam thought this thread was about a dreamcast

Dreamcast-set-orange.png

Well from my username you can obviously tell that I'm a huge Dark Tower fan ^^ (and King's work in general)

When I was reading the books, this was the cast that I had in mind:

Roland => Viggo Mortensen

f572554d41ba50e8c8343136c409d245.jpg

The Man in Black/RF => James Marsters (I know, odd choice, but when I read "The Stand" I had him really nailing RF so I kept him in my head)
Maybe the not the best picture to represent how he is in my head as the MIB, but he had bleached hair on almost all the others ^^'

james-marsters-smallville-tv-series-7x15-stills-hq-10-1500.jpg

Eddie => Jared Leto

redtouch.co344555m.br_.jpg

Susannah => Rosario Dawson

Rosario-Dawson-rosario-dawson-164773_1280_1594.jpg
(seewhatIdid?)

Jack => Haley Joel Osment

95710_014106.jpeg

Last edited:
I read The Talisman back in high school. Definitely one of the most entertaining book. I'm not big into fictional work but that was a great read.

The Big Coffin Hunters =>

Jonas => Sam Elliott
350x500_sam-elliott-the-big-lebowski.jpg

Roy Depape => Sam Rockwell (but more red-headed)
7PSYCHOS-ROCKWELL.jpg

Clay Reynolds => Gary Oldman
Oldman.jpeg

Others:

The Tick-Tock Man => Arnold Schwarzenegger
f027dac6326d6310693c345e14a78825.jpg

Pimli Prentiss => Peter Stromare

John_Abruzzi.png

Last edited:
And how can I forget Walton Goggins as the man in black:

1424589068walton%20goggins.jpg

That's actually a pretty good choice!
Randall Flagg is my favorite Stephen King character, and I always visioned James Marsters (Buffy era, but without the bleached hair obviously) when reading about him... Goggins may not be "handsome" enough to play him, but I can see it.

Also, at first I really disliked Jamey Sherygan as RF in "The Stand" mini-serie, but he grew on me with time. He had the right demeanor/swagger, just not the physique...

Also, speaking of Buffy, I always had Michelle Trachtenberg in mind for
Susan Delgado (I hated this character though :( )
latest

Also, some others:
George Latigo => Josh Holloway
images

Conor Flaherty => Dean Winters
19-o-reilly.jpg

I came in here expecting a Nintendo dreamcast with like a dark crystal skin on it lol

Back