My Darce SUCKS!

Dam straight! I think of it like the Darce equivalent to the Marcelo style elbow-lift Guillotine.

Exactly! That's why I say the finish is just like the side crunch you do to a good guillotine, that sideways torque just adds so much ooomph to the sub.

To me, the important thing is not the legs, but rather your body's switching to the guillotine-type orientation. Once you do that, it doesn't matter much whether you throw a leg over his leg (which is what I usually do), do nothing at all, or follow him all the way over into a mount. Just like an arm-in guillotine (which this really is a similar to, except that the arm is crossed, which it is for a great arm-in also), all those positions flow together, and having closed guard is unnecessary.

I typically like to throw a leg over just because if he tries to defend by going flat to his back, I will automatically follow into a full mount darce, rather than having to transition from N/S into a mounted darce or North/South choke.

Yep! A lot of times I've noticed just the action of turning like that will cause a tap before you can even do anything with the legs.

WOW!!! Thank you guys, there is a ton of great info here!! MUCH MUCH appreciated!!!

WOW!!! Thank you guys, there is a ton of great info here!! MUCH MUCH appreciated!!!

After you try this stuff, report back and let us know if anything improved, and if you need some more tips.

To me, the important thing is not the legs, but rather your body's switching to the guillotine-type orientation. Once you do that, it doesn't matter much whether you throw a leg over his leg (which is what I usually do), do nothing at all, or follow him all the way over into a mount. Just like an arm-in guillotine (which this really is a similar to, except that the arm is crossed, which it is for a great arm-in also), all those positions flow together, and having closed guard is unnecessary.

I typically like to throw a leg over just because if he tries to defend by going flat to his back, I will automatically follow into a full mount darce, rather than having to transition from N/S into a mounted darce or North/South choke.

Finishing the brabo from that arm in guillotine is my go tooo. One knee across the belly, the other over the back, real real tight

Yeah this thread is a goldmine of info. I just bookmarked it because it's going to take me several sittings to digest it all. Awesome.

awesome thread... I'll need a couple days to go through this slowly, mixing it in at the gym.

we need more threads like this

Probably the one clip that got me to get back into the Darce after I first learned it and sucked.

What intrigued me about this clip, and unfortunately it's not as common as it used to be, is that his opponents are technically doing the right thing setting themselves up for the choke. People have better underhooks now, and they are more aware of the Darce/Brabo threat, but seeing Aoki mow these guys down so fast made me want to really study this position. Maybe it was the same with others?

Aoki gets 3 in a row!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the helpful info. Drew. Sometimes I have trouble finishing this choke even when I have it locked in tight. I will try out your advice.

Thanks for all the helpful info. Drew. Sometimes I have trouble finishing this choke even when I have it locked in tight. I will try out your advice.

Worst comes to worst during the normal finish from side control, sprawl your head side leg back, drop that hip, and look towards his feet. That's probably the highest percentage basic finish. Just make sure they can't slide a leg under your body side leg. Good luck!

There is one very simple trick for that kind of choke ( for anaconda too) and i will give it to you for free ;-)

Take a VERY deep breath before squizing. Doing so, you chess will take volume and the choke will be munch tighter.

It's simple, logical and VERY effective, try it !!

Terrible video, imo. Recently I attended 3 separate Jeff Glover seminars (no I didn't really pay for 3 seminars) And had a lot of 1 on 1 time with him, and he stressed that you shouldn't attempt the darce from the front headlock, as you can't get as much depth as when you side by side.

The video with fine. That cupping grip is a strong control position, and plenty of people with good base fall to a knee pick. Try the setup before you judge it.

The video with fine. That cupping grip is a strong control position, and plenty of people with good base fall to a knee pick. Try the setup before you judge it.

I have, I do the darce a lot, and I've found that the cupping of the neck doesn't allow you the best control to keep a guys head down, and its hard to keep. And that wasn't a knee tap he grabbed the guys elbow and drove in to him.

Where do you train. Prob just a coincidence but my class trained anaconda's tuesday also.

I find that the darce is hard to get naturally but it can come in handy when you can't get a RNC. The guy tends to pop his head up a little when you move from his back when he is turtled giving time sink a darce choke in.

Wow...amazing thread. Lot of info here..how about we look to the opposite side now, and talk about defending the choke?

Any tips?

Back