My daily diet: Can I get Opinions please?

Wow, this thread has had some weird ass advice. First off, yes you will lose weight by going low carb. Whoever said you won't is fucking dumb. Also, to put it bluntly, you're a fatass (I think we can both agree here) and you really don't need to worry about all this "keep my muscle while losing weight" nonsense. Once you actually start losing weight you can then assess whether or not your losing strength (which is what you should care about if your actually serious about your MMA, not your muscle mass). Your diet looks pretty good, but you should add in some fish oil. And on cardio/workout, follow elbowsmash's advice. Lift first, this is where quality matters. When you get to cardio, it doesn't matter if you run 1 mile in 30 minutes or 5 in 30 minutes if you keep your heart rate up. That's why when running is used for conditioning its called cardio, not fucking track.

When you get to cardio, it doesn't matter if you run 1 mile in 30 minutes or 5 in 30 minutes if you keep your heart rate up. That's why when running is used for conditioning its called cardio, not fucking track.

Oh right, because the calories burned are dependent on heart rate?? The harder your cardio, the more calories you burn, and the more fat. Simple as that. The vasodilation and adrenaline/endorphins you get from a solid 30 minute run will make you MORE effective in your lifts, not less. The TS should go with whatever he prefers, but frankly a lot of this advice is uneducated. Unless you're going full-on Atkins, carbs are not the enemy, and will allow your workouts to be much more effective.

Oh, and to the guy who said that lifting depletes your glycogen stores...please. Lifting weights burns far fewer calories than cardiovascular activity, and will not use up the 1000+ calories of glycogen stored in muscles.

lol

you're talking about liver glycogen (where most glycogen is stored per cell)

im talking muscle glycogen, which is an intermediate reserve and not available in large amounts per cell. its used for the quick burst of energy when your muscles go into O2 debt. (from what i remember)

why deplete that before you lift by running and hinder your lifts because of it.

and by depleting it with lifting, can possibly shift the ratio of energy useage more towards fat than sugar.

i wasn't talking about liver glycogen, but im pretty most people already know about that.

Muscle glycogenolysis during differing intensities
of weight-resistance exercise
ROBERT A. ROBERGS, DAVID R. PEARSON, DAVID L. COSTILL,
WILLIAM J. FINK, DAVID D. PASCOE, MICHAEL A. BENEDICT,
CHARLES P. LAMBERT, AND JEFFREY J. ZACHWEIJA
Human Performance Laboratory, Ball State University, Muncie, Indiana 47306

However, recent research by MacDougall et al.
(29) has indicated that muscle glycogen content can decrease
by 25% (23 mmol/kg wet wt) in the biceps brachii
after three sets of 10 weight-resistance repetitions to
muscular failure. Also, Tesch et al. (41) reported that
heavy weight-resistance exercise of the legs reduced
muscle glycogen content of the vastus lateralis by 26%
(42 mmol/kg wet wt).

those are significant amounts of glycogen being used up by the supposed non calorie burning lifts, and with only 3 sets of 10 per muscle. most people do more than that, cause they're stupid and like to do crazy isolation lifts and hit each muscle like 100 times.

like i said, why get rid of that, or decrease its amount with running prior

when you can use it for lifting, deplete some of it, and shift more quickly into fat burning when u run (because a good portion of your glycogen stores are already used in your muscle)

yah i know its not as simple as that, but reading around, the general consensus among all the sites ive read said

lift weights, then cardio

my mistake in my first post was that i said burn all the glycogen out your system

i didn't mean it literally, i was just typing fast, as most people know the only way to kill all the glycogen in your body is to run a marathon and hit the "wall"

Wow, this thread has had some weird ass advice. First off, yes you will lose weight by going low carb. Whoever said you won't is fucking dumb. Also, to put it bluntly, you're a fatass (I think we can both agree here) and you really don't need to worry about all this "keep my muscle while losing weight" nonsense. Once you actually start losing weight you can then assess whether or not your losing strength (which is what you should care about if your actually serious about your MMA, not your muscle mass). Your diet looks pretty good, but you should add in some fish oil. And on cardio/workout, follow elbowsmash's advice. Lift first, this is where quality matters. When you get to cardio, it doesn't matter if you run 1 mile in 30 minutes or 5 in 30 minutes if you keep your heart rate up. That's why when running is used for conditioning its called cardio, not fucking track.

Actually people around me are amazed at how much I weight because I do not look it at all. I am in decent shape right now with my problem areas being mid section of course, and lower chest (somewhat man boobs so to speak), but in general I look pretty solid. My cardio is decent right now, I can run at a decent pace for an extended period of time and control my breathing well. Im fairly strong and balanced on all major muscle groups. Its my lack of consistency that has plagued me the most. Fish oil is good for?

Fish oil is good for?

Everything :icon_chee
The king of healthy fats.

1. Less Pain and Inflammation. Omega 3 fatty acids, particularly EPA, have a very positive effect on your inflammatory response. Through several mechanisms, they regulate your body's inflammation cycle, which prevents and relieves painful conditions like arthritis, prostatitis, cystitis and anything else ending in "itis."

2. Cardiovascular Health. Omega 3 fatty acids have also been proven to work wonders for your heart and the miles and miles of arteries and veins that make up your cardiovascular system. They help to lower cholesterol, tryglicerides, LDLs and blood pressure, while at the same time increasing good HDL cholesterol. This adds years to your life expectancy.

3. Protection from Stroke and Heart Attack. When plaque builds up on arterial walls and then breaks loose, it causes what's known as a thrombosis, which is a fancy way of saying clot. If a clot gets stuck in the brain, it causes a stroke and when it plugs an artery, it causes a heart attack. Research shows omega 3 fatty acids break up clots before they can cause any damage.

4. Better Brain Function and Higher Intelligence. Pregnant and nursing mothers can have a great impact on the intelligence and happiness of their babies by supplementing with fish oil. For adults, omega 3 improves memory, recall, reasoning and focus. You'll swear you're getting younger and smarter.

5. Less Depression and Psychosis. Making you smarter is not all omega 3 does for your brain. Psychiatry department researchers at the University of Sheffield, along with many other research studies, found that omega 3 fish oil supplements "alleviate" the symptoms of depression, bipolar and psychosis (Journal of Affective Disorder Vol. 48(2-3);149-55).

6. Lower Incidence of Childhood Disorders. Just to show how fish oil fatty acids leave nobody out, studies show that children (and adults) with ADD and ADHD experience a greatly improved quality of life. And those with dyslexia, dyspraxia and compulsive disorders have gotten a new lease on life thanks to omega 3 oils.

7. Reduction of Breast, Colon and Prostate Cancer. And finally, omega 3 fish oil has been shown to help prevent three of the most common forms of cancer

Although weight had never been an issue with myself, going from watery to shredded has always come when Ive cut out carbs/sugars (bread, cereals, junk snacks etc) and kept my food intake as follows

Breakfast =
egg white omlette with sliced peppers, blue berries, probiotic yogurt, and a greens supplement shake to hammer some antioxidants in.

@ 10:30 Ill have protein shake (isolate) = 30 grams protein, and no carbs or sugar.

Lunch will be chicken, fish or beef, with rice, and vegtables.

@ 2:00-2:30 Ill either have another protein shake (iso) or occasionally I have a salad (loaded with raw fresh vegatables) *no carrots, they are full of sugar.

Dinner will be a good protein source, with rice/potatoe, and veggies.

Post workout/ Pre bed will be 1/2 cup of organic blueberries, with probiotic yogurt, and a protein source (egg whites or iso shake).

Doing the following I go from a Ken Shamrock esque "muscle plug" look @ like 215, to a Sean Sherk type appearance @ 195-200.

No ECA period, no AAS, no creatine. Just protein, arginine, and a jointscare supplement.

the soy milk isnt too bad, but i hope your not using soy protein too, thats chalked full of estergen, try and use skim milk and whey protein

the soy milk isnt too bad, but i hope your not using soy protein too, thats chalked full of estergen, try and use skim milk and whey protein

The nutritional profile in the soy milk he's drinking actually looks better than regular skim milk, given the type of meal he's eating with it. Although, the sugars in regular milk are lactose, whereas in soy milk I'd imagine they are most likely sucrose.

my protein powder is the 6 lb bag of EAS from Costco. Has a protein blend of whey, soy and another I cant remember

Back