My coach's brother, Rafael Carvalho, lost a split decision to Machida

linch

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I was a bit disappointed with the decision, i thought Rafael won that fight.
He dropped Machida in the first, but after that he kind of stopped throwing combos, didn't use the reach, didn't throw any jabs.
He's 6'3", reach 78", my impression is that he could easily beat machida, he simply didn't throw enough, didn't use his reach advantage.
I still haven't talked to my coach Marcelo Carvalho, looking forward to hearing his analysis of the fight, my impression is that Rafael won the first two rounds.
How did you guys score the fight?

He dropped Machida in the first, but after that he kind of stopped throwing combos, didn't use the reach, didn't throw any jabs.
He's 6'3", reach 78", my impression is that he could easily beat machida, he simply didn't throw enough, didn't use his reach advantage.
I still haven't talked to my coach Marcelo Carvalho, looking forward to hearing his analysis of the fight, my impression is that Rafael won the first two rounds.
How did you guys score the fight?

Just the fact that you have seen him once or twice when you passed his gym on the way to McDonalds doesn't make him "your coach"

I that he won too.

Kind of a toss up that Machida finds himself in. I scored R1 and R2 for Carvalho but R2 was really close. Carvalho lost for the same reason Machida loses some split decisions. He didn’t give enough output but neither did Machida. So you judge those fights on damage and who seems to be the hunter. Carvalho won both of those categories.

Carvalho is the Muay Thai version of post Machida Era Machida

Watch Machida vs Carvalho and then watch Machida vs Shogun I and you can tell how much more Carvalho could have done or how much he can still improve as a kickboxer.

One easy thing Carvalho could have done that Shogun found success with was use the right kick to catch Machida as Machida backs up and circles out to Carvalho's right, which he does a lot to evade an attack.

shogun-machida-right-kick.gif
shogun-machida-right-kick-2.gif
shogun-machida-right-kick-3.gif

Last edited:
Just the fact that you have seen him once or twice when you passed his gym on the way to McDonalds doesn't make him "your coach"

The video is apparently too big to upload but you can see it on my Instagram (the link), it's me hitting pads with Marcelo Carvalho

This is Marcelo when he got his black belt from Marco Ruasphoto.jpg

The video is apparently too big to upload but you can see it on my Instagram (the link), it's me hitting pads with Marcelo Carvalho

This is Marcelo when he got his black belt from Marco RuasView attachment 488735

He's trying to get a rise out of you by joking. And you're playing into it posting loads of pics as proof. My advice is to chill. The fact that he is or is not your coach is irrelevant to the discussion

This is Marcelo when he got his black belt from Marco RuasView attachment 488735

It's not cool to steal an identity of some poor old guy.

This Marko has no clue that you're pretending to be him. It's quite a cowardice move IMO

You were mistaken.

204944.jpg

He's trying to get a rise out of you by joking. And you're playing into it posting loads of pics as proof. My advice is to chill. The fact that he is or is not your coach is irrelevant to the discussion
Good point

Excuse you sir! I got a black belt in jiu jitsu from watching people through the glass at a McDonald's! Show some respect!

Back