My Breakdown of Aldo-McGregor (long)

fights-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-2485.gif

The fight is going to come down to this gif. Conor possesses a very wide stance. He can maintain distance and rattle off an array of kicks all whilst maintaining safety and balance. This allows him to back his opponent into a corner and land heavier blows such as his straight left.

Where he will get into danger however is the inside leg kick. Anything to the outside he will check with ease but the right leg has the potential to be kicked out by Aldo.

The big question will be who controls the distance and pace. If Aldo is forced onto the back foot his ability to throw out McGregor's game with the inside leg kick will be very very difficult.

bent_knees_medium.png

The big problem however for Aldo is that he can't just chop away at the inside leg without elite lateral movement. As you can see above - If Conor is dictating the distance his stance locks off the ability to chop away at his legs. Aldo will need to close the distance but he will also need to force Conor into lateral movement to create space.

IMO however, Aldo doesn't have the length to control the fight. Conor can flick out jabs harder than most of Aldo's opponents can land strikes.

4_medium.gif

The other factor to consider is that while the lateral movement can open up the inside leg kick, it can also circle him into Conor's left. IMO it's only a matter of time until Aldo gets stopped.
Wooooow wtf

How the fuck yolandabecool got bNed

Thanks mods

Ironically for the people that didn't realized a

This fight is most likely going to be the biggest in the history of the FW division. We have one of the sports most dominant, longest reigning champions facing off against a hugely charismatic challenger, with both men having shown a penchant for the spectacular. With all of McGregor's bravado, slew of highlight reel finishes, and the UFC shoveling coal into the furnace of his hype train like a methed-out Casey Jones, it's easy to forget that he is the least accomplished of Aldo's challengers thus far. It's also easy to see why a lot of spectators feel that this is irrelevant.

Jose Aldo has dominated the featherweight division since it was still part of the WEC. His 8-second Tony Jaa-esque flying-double-knee KO against Cub Swanson planted him firmly in the MMA community's consciousness and his subsequent devastation of incumbent champion Mike Thomas Brown and 5 round battering of the origional featherweight superstar solidified his claim to both the 145 pound crown and perpetual placement on P4P lists. Ever since, he has continued fighting and usually dominating the finest opponents the UFC can throw at him, rarely showing any sign of weakness. The lone caveat in that statement is his nearly disastrous performance against Mark Hominick (incidentally, one of his less heralded adversaries) in which he followed a dominant opening 15 minutes with a complete melt-down in the championship rounds which nearly allowed the challenger to walk away with a draw (which most observers felt would have been the right call). This rightfully opened up conjecture regarding Aldo's cardio and heart at the time, and whether a string of injuries had simply aged him before his time. However subsequent 5 round thrashings of vaunted contenders such as Kenny Florian and prolonged back and forth wars such as his rematch with Mendes interspersed with some of his vintage KO's have rebutted all those questions and pretty much proven that night with Hominick to have been an anomally.

While Aldo has a black-belt in BJJ and has shown occasional flashes of brilliance on the ground, the base of his game is his stand-up. Very few fighters at any weight class have the combination of speed, power, versatility and technicality that Aldo brings to the table. His leg kicks--among the best in MMA-- are always front and center and serve both to impede his opponents movement and set up his more KO orientated strikes down the road. His footwork his excellent both on offense, cutting off angles and keeping in prime punching position almost constantly, as well as defense rarely allowing his opponent to push him into unfavorable territory or giving clean punching opportunities while efficiently countering himself and showing top-notch takedown defense to boot. Perhaps most important factor for Aldo in this fight is his experience. Bear in mind, the champion is still only 28 years old but has already fought a who's who of his divisions best fighters as well as a former LW champion and a two time challenger from that division as well. He just persevered through the toughest fight of his career in the form of elite wrestler turned devastating puncher Chad Mendes. In all likelihood, Jose Aldo right now is the best he's ever been and perhaps ever will be.

The core of McGregor's game is his absurdly powerful striking. What differentiates him from every other heavy-handed would be contender is the unique manner in which he implements it. McGregor's liberal use of karate and tae kwon do kicks give him a much longer effective striking range and wider array of attack angles than the vast majority of MMAists--and these are not wild, flashy, haymakers. He has a superb sense of timing and accuracy when throwing these traditionally low-percentage attacks. On top of that, he has alarming power in his hands. The way his opponents react when getting hit with a casually flicked-out jab is typical of what you see when most fighters land a flush overhand or hook. That is in no way an exaggeration. Heads snap, eyes roll, and knees buckle. It's possible that other fighters in the division may "top out" with higher power in their best punches, but shot for shot, blow for blow, nobody in the division packs more blunt force into each strike than Connor McGregor, not by a long shot. He ties it all together with an odd not-quite-fast-but-certainly-not-slow "stalking" pace that he explodes out of, throwing sudden violent punch-kick flurries then settles seamlessly back into. While he's not truly the fastest of the fast at featherweight, he is definitely quicker than your average fighter and his keen sense of timing, odd angles, and sudden/frequent pace changes make him extremely difficult to time or predict and his power leaves precious little room for error.

The other side of the coin is that McGregor's low-handed, wide-footed stance and constant aggression makes him very hittable. Siver and Poirier were both able to land a number of clean counters against "Notorious" in their abbreviated encounters, but were unable to even phase him. Whether this was more due to a granite chin on McGregor, or their own lack of KO power is unclear but is a question that the champion will surely look to answer. Siver was also able to consistently find the Irishman's legs with kicks, even managing to sweep him on two occasions. Though ultimately fruitless for Siver, it is something worth keeping in mind when you consider how notoriously devastating Aldo's leg kicks are, and that they are a fundamental lynch-pin of his game. Also of note: The weakest opponent Aldo has fought in the last several years (KZ) holds a highlight reel finish over the best opponent McGregor has faced in his entire career (Poirier).

In the end, I feel that while McGregor is no dead-horse or even necessarily a longshot in this fight, the idiosyncrasies of his offensive style play into Aldo's strengths and the difference in experience against top flight opponents is severe. I could very well see Connor rattling Aldo early on and just continuing to lay it on him until the ref calls it, but I think the more likely scenario is a fight which is tightly contested early on and that sees both men land heavy leather, but that Aldo steadily begins to take over as the fight progresses. My pick is Aldo by TKO late in the 5th.

A well-written and fair assessment of the issues at play. The only thing I disagree with is the likely outcome.

Great unbiased read TS thank you. I got Aldo in this by methodical break down, I hope he would employ a game of body beating legs & torso to slow and remove sting from Conor's punches he already drops his hands beating his body will make it a task to lift them when needed.
This is suppose to be a real good fight or a quick shocker...

The lone caveat in that statement is his nearly disastrous performance against Mark Hominick (incidentally, one of his less heralded adversaries) in which he followed a dominant opening 15 minutes with a complete melt-down in the championship rounds which nearly allowed the challenger to walk away with a draw (which most observers felt would have been the right call).

Aldo very clearly won the first four rounds, and dropped Hominick with a right straight halfway through the fourth round, then spent the rest of the round dropping serious GnP on him. Do you fucking remember the enormous swelling Hominick had on his forehead ? That was caused by the GnP in the fourth round, after he was dropped. Aldo was dominated in the fifth, no denying that, but you're flat-out wrong that Hominick was anywhere even close to winning the fourth round. Find any respected media outlet anywhere that scored the 4th for Hominick. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt that you just haven't watched the fight in the last four years and are misremembering it, but literally NOT A SINGLE OBSERVER thought a draw should have been the right call for that fight. Go check media scores anywhere, or better yet go watch the 4th round again. It wouldn't have been crazy to call the 4th a 10-8 for Aldo.

Aldo going to wrestle fuck connor for 5 rounds if hes any real threat

Aldo going to wrestle fuck connor for 5 rounds if hes any real threat

According to McG's most fervent fans, this would be a grave mistake on the part of Aldo, as McG previously proved himself against apt grapplers.

According to McG's most fervent fans, this would be a grave mistake on the part of Aldo, as McG previously proved himself against apt grapplers.

Find me a single post that claims it would be a "grave mistake". I'm interested. Go.

Find me a single post that claims it would be a "grave mistake". I'm interested. Go.

Just do a simple search for the threads dealing with McG's wrestling, and find the pro-McG posts. I'm with you - it's an idiotic notion, but somehow, it exists.

Cool story, but this is where strength of opponents comes in.

An above average NBA team will look like world beaters when facing the Knicks or the Lakers, but what happens when they're consistently going up against the Spurs, Warriors, and the Hawks?

When has Conir ever faced someone that didn't just stand right in front of him, or didn't lose before the fight started?

Hell, I'd give Dennis Bermudez a huge chance of beating McGregor, let alone Aldo.

the same Bermudez that Holloway basically beat? :icon_lol:

The way I see this fight, it starts with both fighters on the feet. They'll start trading jabs and leg kicks. There will be kicking and punching, and potentially a few takedowns. If the fight goes to the ground, I foresee some ground and pound.

Either way, this fight ends in a KO, submission or a TKO. If it doesn't, then it will result in a judges decision.

Exactly the way I see it

Keeping on my toes.

tumblr_mvjwrwB0gX1qbrivdo1_500.gif

Though you didn't go into much detail about certain things each fighter does on the feet (besides a few generalizations about Aldo's leg kicks) and how their styles match-up from a technical standpoint - this is still a better breakdown/analysis on here than I've seen most people put up about any fight.

Since you have Aldo winning, I will counter your thread with my breakdown from a little while ago about Conor winning! :cool:

It's a long read, but I'm sure you won't have any issue with that.

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f2/conor-mcgregor-will-knock-jose-aldo-out-2895329/

Though you didn't go into much detail about certain things each fighter does on the feet (besides a few generalizations about Aldo's leg kicks) and how their styles match-up from a technical standpoint - this is still a better breakdown/analysis on here than I've seen most people put up about any fight.

Since you have Aldo winning, I will counter your thread with my breakdown from a little while ago about Conor winning! :cool:

It's a long read, but I'm sure you won't have any issue with that.

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f2/conor-mcgregor-will-knock-jose-aldo-out-2895329/
I will have to give it a read myself I generally like your break down of fights .
but personally I think Aldo takes it .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back