My BJJ gameplan for my first tournament

gocubs1815

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
My first tournament is tomorrow and I want to keep my game plan simple for my first time out. Was wondering if you all could critique what I have so far.

I

gramby roll?

and dude i hate to be a buzz kill but do you even need a game plan for your first tournament? just go out there and have fun. i feel like game plans add too much unnecessary pressure

this should be your gameplan, if you are good at guard, play guard
good on top take him down

It's kind of bad to have rigid game plans like this. What you do is largely dependent on your opponent's skill level, body type, athleticism, etc, etc. It's game theory 101. If he's good at A, you counter with B. To go out there and plan to hit a certain Judo throw on someone might be setting yourself up for failure.

This seems like too much, esp at white belt.

Your gameplan should be something like:
1) breath
2) relax
3) have fun

You will be surprised at how tired you will be.

:)

Your first tournament and you are planning to do kneebars/anklelocks? sure those are legal?

I would kinda advice against going to mount and holding it, get the points but go back to sidecontrol

Mount as a beginner= easy to be reversed and you gotta sweep or submit him from bottom
Side-control he might regain guard

Overthinking this one.

Play your game. Guard player, pull guard. Top player with good passing, take him down.

Go out there, control your breathing, and stick to ^ that gameplan.

My first tournament is tomorrow and I want to keep my game plan simple for my first time out. Was wondering if you all could critique what I have so far.

I’ve got an idea of what I want to do for each position, please feel free to critique my plan.

Start Standing: Standard Judo grip, go for leg sweep, but if he tries to come at me I do circle throw.

• Mount top: Priority is to maintain position first, go for Americana or arm triangle second
• Side mount top: Pass to mount with knee across belt/waist (maintain base and not stay in ‘knee on stomach’)
• Half guard top: pass to side mount, second option is arm locks (Americana, straight arm lock, kimura), third option is knee bar
• Full guard top: break guard with hands on belt elbows on knees, maintain posture
• Up/down standing: ankle lock
• Turtle top: float to side, hold on ankle to get hooks in and take back, go for RNC

• Turtle bottom: gramby roll to triangle, guard or Omoplata (which ever he gives me)
• Up/Down bottom: backs sweep, ankle lock
• Full guard bottom: Kimura-guillotine-arm pit toss progression
• Half guard bottom: shrimp back to full guard, second option is ‘Lockdown’ to buy some time
• Side mount bottom: arm pit sweep, second option is shrimp and get the knee in to guard
• Mount bottom: lock the arm and reverse to top, quarter guard to half guard.

Butterfly guard: simple butterfly sweep

(if you have any questions about what I mean with each postion, just ask)

My opinion on this, is that this is pretty much exactly the wrong thing to do, especially at the white belt level. You have to be able to react to the situations at hand, flow with the go as Rickson would put it. You don't wanna be stuck with some rigid thought process or prepackaged set of moves, because if those don't work right away your movements and actions will be really predictable. For example, lets say your opponent is playing a really loose and open guard, why would u jump into it and put your hand on his belt when you could just control his legs throw them to the side and pass? Also, the fact that you might be overthinking everything already, I think that when the match starts you might also still be overthinking everything and that makes you slow. Maybe not so much on the ground because you can stall a bit while you think about the next step, but on the feet you would definitely be slow. Also as a white belt, it seems a little bit off to just assume that you could implement prepackaged moves like this perfectly on every opponent. I think gameplans like this are more suited for really advanced grapplers who have basically developed certain moves to the point that they know 99.9999% of the time the guy wont be able to stop it or if he can stop it they know exactly what openings that creates etc.

Tournaments are a skill that you need experience in like anything else, first tournament should be about gaining that experience. My only advice is this, I tell it to myself when I am nervous to help me get over it.

"It's the waiting that's scary, you're not used to that because who spends all their time waiting? But you're used to the mat, you're always on the mat, it's your home and you won't feel out of place there. "

I develop gameplans, but instead of listing moves I'll do in each position, I leave it to my training.

What I do, however, is plan out how I'm going to control the match. Leg trip to guard. Which pass? Once in side mount, do I plan on finishing it there, or pass to mount?

This way, if I find myself in a losing position, I already know where I'm trying to get to in order to get back on track with my gameplan.

ha game plan for a first tournament.. that's cute... what rank are you competing at? white belts can't do lower body subs at any tournaments I know of....

like everyone else says you're overthinking, but that's prolly your nerves.

"No battle plan survives first contact with the enemy." - Sun Tzu

Man forget about that list you made. The only plan you should have for your first tournament should be to relax and secure positions before you advance. That list of yours is not going to do you any good, in fact trying to keep all in mind will more likely hurt your performance.

Back