My BJJ gameplan for my first tournament

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by gocubs1815, Oct 8, 2010.

1. gocubs1815

gocubs1815 Black Belt

My first tournament is tomorrow and I want to keep my game plan simple for my first time out. Was wondering if you all could critique what I have so far.

I

2. stile0

stile0 Purple Belt

gramby roll?

and dude i hate to be a buzz kill but do you even need a game plan for your first tournament? just go out there and have fun. i feel like game plans add too much unnecessary pressure

3. Ballzilla

Ballzilla Yellow Belt

It's Granby roll, dude. My alma mater.

4. bragglefraggle

bragglefraggle Purple Belt

this should be your gameplan, if you are good at guard, play guard
    good on top take him down

5. CyberFreq

CyberFreq Blue Belt

Always hated wrestling against Granby. They just put such GOOD WRESTLERS.

My gameplan: Go out there and win.

6. stile0

stile0 Purple Belt

good gameplan.

7. Goat Meal

Goat Meal Shhh Belt

It's kind of bad to have rigid game plans like this. What you do is largely dependent on your opponent's skill level, body type, athleticism, etc, etc. It's game theory 101. If he's good at A, you counter with B. To go out there and plan to hit a certain Judo throw on someone might be setting yourself up for failure.

8. cooltoon999

cooltoon999 Orange Belt

Everyone has a gameplan until they get hit - Mike tyson

9. bjjaz

bjjaz Got the Rock...Time to Roll

This seems like too much, esp at white belt.

10. Aerick

Aerick White Belt

Your gameplan should be something like:
    1) breath
    2) relax
    3) have fun

You will be surprised at how tired you will be.

:)

11. YeahBee

YeahBee Samdog Original Nine

Your first tournament and you are planning to do kneebars/anklelocks? sure those are legal?

I would kinda advice against going to mount and holding it, get the points but go back to sidecontrol

Mount as a beginner= easy to be reversed and you gotta sweep or submit him from bottom
    Side-control he might regain guard

12. Mike Wilson Jr.

Mike Wilson Jr. Amateur Fighter

Overthinking this one.

Play your game. Guard player, pull guard. Top player with good passing, take him down.

Go out there, control your breathing, and stick to ^ that gameplan.

13. unearth187

unearth187 Blue Belt

My opinion on this, is that this is pretty much exactly the wrong thing to do, especially at the white belt level. You have to be able to react to the situations at hand, flow with the go as Rickson would put it. You don't wanna be stuck with some rigid thought process or prepackaged set of moves, because if those don't work right away your movements and actions will be really predictable. For example, lets say your opponent is playing a really loose and open guard, why would u jump into it and put your hand on his belt when you could just control his legs throw them to the side and pass? Also, the fact that you might be overthinking everything already, I think that when the match starts you might also still be overthinking everything and that makes you slow. Maybe not so much on the ground because you can stall a bit while you think about the next step, but on the feet you would definitely be slow. Also as a white belt, it seems a little bit off to just assume that you could implement prepackaged moves like this perfectly on every opponent. I think gameplans like this are more suited for really advanced grapplers who have basically developed certain moves to the point that they know 99.9999% of the time the guy wont be able to stop it or if he can stop it they know exactly what openings that creates etc.

14. LemonHerbWRX

LemonHerbWRX Green Belt

Tournaments are a skill that you need experience in like anything else, first tournament should be about gaining that experience. My only advice is this, I tell it to myself when I am nervous to help me get over it.

"It's the waiting that's scary, you're not used to that because who spends all their time waiting? But you're used to the mat, you're always on the mat, it's your home and you won't feel out of place there. "

15. Commissar

Commissar Gold Belt

I develop gameplans, but instead of listing moves I'll do in each position, I leave it to my training.

What I do, however, is plan out how I'm going to control the match. Leg trip to guard. Which pass? Once in side mount, do I plan on finishing it there, or pass to mount?

This way, if I find myself in a losing position, I already know where I'm trying to get to in order to get back on track with my gameplan.

16. navita

navita Orange Belt

ha game plan for a first tournament.. that's cute... what rank are you competing at? white belts can't do lower body subs at any tournaments I know of....

like everyone else says you're overthinking, but that's prolly your nerves.

17. Gladstone

Gladstone Green Belt

"No battle plan survives first contact with the enemy." - Sun Tzu

18. mtruitt76

mtruitt76 Purple Belt

Man forget about that list you made. The only plan you should have for your first tournament should be to relax and secure positions before you advance. That list of yours is not going to do you any good, in fact trying to keep all in mind will more likely hurt your performance.