My American Nationals 2010 Fights and Thoughts (video)

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by hustles, Sep 26, 2010.

1. hustles

hustles Green Belt

I felt pretty good at the tournament. I weighed in at 162.5 so I was pretty light but that wasn't an issue I don't think. I was disappointed in the loss, this is my 3rd loss this year at my 4th tournament. Overall record this year is 6 wins 3 losses in gi. All three losses came in similar fashion via submission in transition after finishing and scoring points with a sweep. I was up on points in every match I lost. In going over this and talking to some training partners I think the next step is for me to start playing even farther ahead in the mental chess game. I really need to be considering my grips and plans for post sweep before I get there. Any criticism welcome.

Also congrats to everyone else that competed this weekend.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  2. Bill5

Bill5 White Belt

Only watched the 2nd fight, nice sweep. It looked like you got caught because you looked over to your coach.

3. elbigsam

elbigsam Blue Belt

in the match where you get triangled it just seemed like you were trying to stabilize yourself in his z guard, thats when he pulled his leg out and moved to that triangle. maybe just pulling the trigger faster on your passing game to keep guys from getting into their offensive mode. as much halfguard as you play im sure you are comfortable working inside the half/z guard. cool sweep tho, i liked it.

4. elbigsam

elbigsam Blue Belt

on rewatching it, i think you pulled the trigger to pass, but lacked control on the legs, so he slung that triangle in. just keep at it, great match.

5. hustles

hustles Green Belt

Yah I looked over at Gustavo and he was yelling at me to sprawl back I think he wanted me to pass before I was put in closed guard. Another thing I am noticing is I didn't posture out of the triangle well and it looks like he was somewhat slower in really locking it down. I remember trying to look up and get my posture back but he had good control.

6. genkisudo69

genkisudo69 Brown Belt

the choke is the first fight is nice. i used sometimes in training. i don

7. hustles

hustles Green Belt

8. Sloth

Sloth Brown Belt

Nice matches! The choke in the first video is called a paper cutter choke where I train. Might be different names for it different places though.

9. hustles

hustles Green Belt

Thanks - I rarely learn names for anything but the most basic moves, everything else I just have to describe lol.

10. genkisudo69

genkisudo69 Brown Belt

nice choke!

11. chirpin4th

chirpin4th Orange Belt

Ze galo choke?

I love that sweep you hit in the first vid. Definitly one of my favorites. It looked like you got distracted right before he caught you in that triangle. Good match tho!

12. hustles

hustles Green Belt

Thanks I was very happy with that first sweep. I had his right foot hooked up near my ear and the arm hooking his foot was so deep that hand had a cross-collar grip on his Gi keeping his posture really out of place.