My American Nationals 2010 Fights and Thoughts (video)

hustles

Green Belt
Reaction score

I felt pretty good at the tournament. I weighed in at 162.5 so I was pretty light but that wasn't an issue I don't think. I was disappointed in the loss, this is my 3rd loss this year at my 4th tournament. Overall record this year is 6 wins 3 losses in gi. All three losses came in similar fashion via submission in transition after finishing and scoring points with a sweep. I was up on points in every match I lost. In going over this and talking to some training partners I think the next step is for me to start playing even farther ahead in the mental chess game. I really need to be considering my grips and plans for post sweep before I get there. Any criticism welcome.

Also congrats to everyone else that competed this weekend.

Last edited:
Only watched the 2nd fight, nice sweep. It looked like you got caught because you looked over to your coach.

in the match where you get triangled it just seemed like you were trying to stabilize yourself in his z guard, thats when he pulled his leg out and moved to that triangle. maybe just pulling the trigger faster on your passing game to keep guys from getting into their offensive mode. as much halfguard as you play im sure you are comfortable working inside the half/z guard. cool sweep tho, i liked it.

on rewatching it, i think you pulled the trigger to pass, but lacked control on the legs, so he slung that triangle in. just keep at it, great match.

Only watched the 2nd fight, nice sweep. It looked like you got caught because you looked over to your coach.

Yah I looked over at Gustavo and he was yelling at me to sprawl back I think he wanted me to pass before I was put in closed guard. Another thing I am noticing is I didn't posture out of the triangle well and it looks like he was somewhat slower in really locking it down. I remember trying to look up and get my posture back but he had good control.

the choke is the first fight is nice. i used sometimes in training. i don

Nice matches! The choke in the first video is called a paper cutter choke where I train. Might be different names for it different places though.

Nice matches! The choke in the first video is called a paper cutter choke where I train. Might be different names for it different places though.

Thanks - I rarely learn names for anything but the most basic moves, everything else I just have to describe lol.

I don't know what its called but I started using it after watching that video of Leo Viera and Renato Paquet (YouTube - RENATO PAQUET (RED BELT) & LEO VIEIRA (BLACK BELT)). Its very high percentage once the arm is isolated with the first grip under the armpit to the back of the collar. I use it in training quite a bit.

I feel I had the grips secured at the end and would have been able to coax a submission out if had 30 more seconds.

This was purple belt masters division lightweight.

nice choke!

Ze galo choke?

I love that sweep you hit in the first vid. Definitly one of my favorites. It looked like you got distracted right before he caught you in that triangle. Good match tho!

Ze galo choke?

I love that sweep you hit in the first vid. Definitly one of my favorites. It looked like you got distracted right before he caught you in that triangle. Good match tho!

Thanks I was very happy with that first sweep. I had his right foot hooked up near my ear and the arm hooking his foot was so deep that hand had a cross-collar grip on his Gi keeping his posture really out of place.

Back