My ADD Training Log 2015

3/9/2015

BJJ - 1 Hour of nogi, followed by 1 hour of gi.

In nogi, we drilled an outside leg drag guard pass, then I sparred 3 x 5 minute rounds. Got to work with a couple of guys who are larger/stronger than me, but less experienced. First big guy was really strong & seemed to have some wrestling experience, he surprised me with a guillotine attempt from bottom half guard, but I worked my way clear to side control. He tried to continue squeezing the choke from side control, but I finally got it off & then mounted.. The next guy was really big, probably around 300 pounds - he kept trying to use the can-opener lol. Good Times :)

Gi training was awesome - got a partner & did 3 minutes closed guard, bottom & top, then 3 minutes open guard, bottom & top, then did several 5 minute sparring rounds with different partners. I got to roll with Gordo today (the inventor of the half guard). Pretty awesome. His Jiu-jitsu is smooth...no wasted energy, uses almost no strength.

Didn't Gordo used to keep a log around here. Or there was a guy w that screen name at least

Nope, pretty sure that was someone else - this guy's english isn't great. Roberto "Gordo" Correa.

3/11/2015

BJJ - 1 Hour

Excellent class today! We drilled a sweep from bottom half with knee sheild - the cool thing was the setup by pushing your opponent's knee & ribs to get a reaction, then using that reaction for the sweep.

After drilling that for a while, we did 1 20-minute sparring round. Good Times.

3/12/2015

BJJ - 1 Hour

1 Hour of gi today, worked on a couple of nice transitions from mount. First was go for Americana, transition to arm bar. Next was when opponent sits up, transition to the back for a choke. Followed the drilling up with 3x 5 minute rounds.

3/12/2015

Afternoon workout

Deadlift
5x135
5x225
5x285
5x335
2x385

Squats
5x135
10x155
10x155
10x155

Rough day in the gym today. Deadlifts felt really heavy, and couldn't get the 5 reps I was supposed to get at 385. Weird. Then my knee was really hurting during squats so I only did 3 sets. Not sure if trying to lift & do jiu-jitsu in the same day is too much? Hopefully it was just an off day. Knee still hurts...

3/13/2015

BJJ - 1 Hour

7x 5 minute rounds. Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail. Today I was the nail. bleh. Will be good to recuperate over the weekend.

Next time be the windshield. Not the bug

3/16/2015

Birthday Workout

Bench Press
10x45
5x95
5x135
5x155
5x175
5x195
8x195
5x215
1x225
1x245
1x255
8x155
8x155
8x155

Squat
5x45
5x135
10x175
10x175
10x175

Supersetted between Bench & Squat sets:
Band pull-aparts: 3x20
DB Rows: 15x70, 15x80, 12x90
BB Curls: 12x60, 15x60, 15x60
DB Curls: 3x15x25

Started my new workout plan. Goals for the New Plan:
- Lift 3x per week
- More Volume (without being stupid)
- Squat, Bench & Overhead 2x a week each.

I'll detail the plan in this log soon...

*EDIT - was planning on 5 sets of squats, but only did 3 because my knee was acting gimpy, didn't want to overdo it.

Last edited:
ok so I guess I should document the new workout plan.

I've been trying to lift 2x a week, with squat & bench one week, then deads & press then next week, following a 531 template. This isn't working - the weights feel really heavy & I'm having trouble recovering. On bench & squat my last 5's set felt like a 5RM & I couldn't even hit the reps on my last deadlift 5 set.

I also haven't made any measurable progress in any lift in a long time. I'm just sort of maintaining. I'm also getting older (just turned 43) so recovery is probably harder I guess. In addition, jiu-jitsu is still a priority & I also want to compete in the occasional Scottish Highland Game.

So I decided this is what I want/need out of a lifting program:
- Need to bench 2x a week, less than that & I'm not progressing
- Need to squat 2x a week - same reason
- Need to overhead press 2x a week - same reason
- Deadlift once a week is fine.
- Need more volume. I really feel like I'm not getting enough volume to make a difference.
- I need more focus on upper body.
- Want something that is fun & I can track progress easily.
- Need more arm work & more chest.
- Lastly - not trying to gain weight. It's just not healthy for me to put on pounds at my age. It's too hard to get rid of them & my knees don't like carrying any extra weight.

So I ready Wendler's latest book "Beyond 531" & it was really full of some great stuff that addresses my concerns about the lack of volume. What I came up with was a hybrid 531 with Joker sets & Last Set First backoff sets & Juggernaut Method template:

MONDAY:
Bench 531 with joker sets & Last Set First backoff sets
Squat TJM
DB Rows
Bi's & Tri's
Abs

WEDNESDAY
Push Press TJM
Deads 531 for Powerlifting with backoff sets & no reps above 3
DB Flyes
Pullups
Dips
Abs

FRIDAY
Bench TJM
Squat 531 with joker sets & Last Set First backoff sets
Press 531 with joker sets & Last Set First backoff sets
Bi's & Tri's
Abs

To start this, I took my current training max on each exercise & reset it at 80%. Then for Squats specifically, I set the TJM training Max (for Monday) at 90% of the new training max. I want to start really light & get used to the volume.

The interesting thing will be that I will progress the TJM sets through the 10s Wave, 8s Wave, 5s Wave & 3s Wave. This will give me some variability & make it fun. I'll deload when I feel I need to, but not monthly. I'll do monthly progression 531 style, unless a specific lift is super easy, then I'll increase it by a larger amount.

That's it. Thoughts?

3/17/2015

Happy St Paddy's Day

THROWING
Stones
5x Overhead throws
5x Toes to board
5x Standing Throws
5x Glides

LWFD
10x Full Throws

Got out for a quick throwing session this morning. Trying to activate my lower body on throws, and fix my timing on LWFD. Nothing really to report from today, but I got some reps in.

For quite some time I made progress benching and using overhead as my assistance then inverting them the next work out. It gave me the reps I needed but wasn't as draining. But it appears you have an actual program to work with.

For quite some time I made progress benching and using overhead as my assistance then inverting them the next work out. It gave me the reps I needed but wasn't as draining. But it appears you have an actual program to work with.

We'll see how it works out, I'm tweaking it as I go...

3/18/2015

Hangover workout

Deadlift
5x135
3x225
3x255
3x285
3x315
1x355
1x355
1x355
3x255
3x255
3x255

Push Press
5x45
5x95
5x95
5x5x115

Pull ups supersetted with Push Press
5x5xBW

Super tired & hungover today, cut the workout short because I wasn't feeling it & gym was crowded. At least I made it in & got the main things done.

I had originally planned on 10s wave Juggernaut method (5 sets of 10) with Push Press but it was really hard to get a rhythm & keep the reps solid. So I decided to go with a 5x5 instead. I actually think I may switch Push Press to a 531 + joker sets & First Set Last. That will give me a chance to get some heavy singles with Push Press, which I think will be fun.

Deadlift wasn't terrible, but didn't feel great. Feels a little like I'm rushing it or something. Not tight enough at the bottom maybe? not sure.

3/19/2015

BJJ - 1 Hour

Worked on half-guard today. Went over the basic back take from knee shield half-guard & then grabbing a whizzer and pushing into them, then getting a sweep on the reaction. Rolled 3x 5 minute rounds.

3/20/2015

Bench Press
8x45
5x95
10x135
10x135
10x135
10x135
10x135

Squats
5x45
5x135
5x185
5x205
5x245
10x275
5x295
5x315
1x345
1x365
1x385
5x205
5x205
5x205

Really enjoyed squats today, but the workout took a long time & I had to get back to work. I had originally planned to do a 531 Press workout, but I think I'm going to drop that from the schedule & just stick to Push Press one day a week.

3/21/2015

BJJ - 1.5 Hours

Took my 13-year old daughter in with me today so she could try jiu-jitsu. Then when we get there Ricardo "Demente" Abreu showed up & gave an impromptu seminar. It was really cool & my daughter had a great time. We'll go to a few more classes before deciding whether to sign her up.

3/21/2015

BJJ - 1.5 Hours

Took my 13-year old daughter in with me today so she could try jiu-jitsu. Then when we get there Ricardo "Demente" Abreu showed up & gave an impromptu seminar. It was really cool & my daughter had a great time. We'll go to a few more classes before deciding whether to sign her up.

I would love my daughter to be able to take BJJ classes. Sadly, for women, the ability to defend yourself while on your back, with someone much heavier on top of you, is probably a very important life skill.

I would love my daughter to be able to take BJJ classes. Sadly, for women, the ability to defend yourself while on your back, with someone much heavier on top of you, is probably a very important life skill.

True. I just hope that she'll enjoy it & stick with it. She just isn't interested in playing sports, so some regular exercise would be great.

3/23/2015

BW: 217.6

BJJ - 1 Hour gi

Tough class today - We warmed up with open guard drills. 5 minutes of staying in open guard, basically controlling your opponent and stalling. No sweeps or subs, while the other guy has to pass your guard. Did 5 minutes playing guard & then 5 minutes passing. After that we did 5x5 minute rounds of live sparring.

Back