My 5/3/1 updated routine-input needed?

ITRDC5

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Hi guys,
So I'm a grapple who trains around 3/4 times a week and been doing 531 two days a week for the past two years. I'm a purple belt but pretty undersized, albeit strong from my size- 5ft 5 , 63Kg.

I would like to add some size in the coming year and looking to adopt my training regime accordingly as below.

I would of course like to continue upping my weight which has happened quite well since I started the program but I would also like to be physically bigger.
Here is my current program and if you think anything needs changed or any new exercises added or detracted please let me know!

I've read a bit online about the BBB techniques in 531 but unsure if they are something I should implement?

Monday
BJJ

Tuesday
Squat 531
Pull Ups 3x10
Standing Shoulder Press 531
Turkish Get ups 4x10
Front Squat 4 x10

Wednesday
BJJ

Thursday
BJJ

Friday
Deadlift 531
Chin Ups 3x10
Bent over row 4 x10
Leg raises 4x10
Bicep curls 4x10

Saturday
Rest

Sunday
Bench 531
Tricep Pull downs 4x10
Back Extensions 4 x10
Dips 4x10

You might want another rest day in there. Bjj and lifting is a hard balance. Usually you have to favor one over the other to see progress. Whenever i try to do both equally i end up burning myself out after a while.

The little minor injuries that occur in bjj and lifting heavy add up.

If your goal is to get bigger and stronger id cut out one of the bjj days. If bjj is your main goal id cut out one of the lifting days.

Hi guys,
So I'm a grapple who trains around 3/4 times a week and been doing 531 two days a week for the past two years. I'm a purple belt but pretty undersized, albeit strong from my size- 5ft 5 , 63Kg.

I would like to add some size in the coming year and looking to adopt my training regime accordingly as below.

I would of course like to continue upping my weight which has happened quite well since I started the program but I would also like to be physically bigger.
Here is my current program and if you think anything needs changed or any new exercises added or detracted please let me know!

I've read a bit online about the BBB techniques in 531 but unsure if they are something I should implement?

Monday
BJJ

Tuesday
Squat 531
Pull Ups 3x10
Standing Shoulder Press 531
Turkish Get ups 4x10
Front Squat 4 x10

Wednesday
BJJ

Thursday
BJJ

Friday
Deadlift 531
Chin Ups 3x10
Bent over row 4 x10
Leg raises 4x10
Bicep curls 4x10

Saturday
Rest

Sunday
Bench 531
Tricep Pull downs 4x10
Back Extensions 4 x10
Dips 4x10

When I started my masters degree, I began to use the 5/3/1. However, I made great results by switching to the juggernaut, which is very similar to Dr. Haff's cluster training but with a lot of AMRAP testing. It might be time to switch things up to a raw conjugate, Juggernaut, or DUP. You need to find what works best for you. Myself, I came up with a DUP cluster training during my Ph.D. studies and it is working great for me. Are you getting enough protein? I would check out the ISSN protein requirements or anything by Dr. Phillips out of McMaster University

You might want another rest day in there. Bjj and lifting is a hard balance. Usually you have to favor one over the other to see progress. Whenever i try to do both equally i end up burning myself out after a while.

The little minor injuries that occur in bjj and lifting heavy add up.

If your goal is to get bigger and stronger id cut out one of the bjj days. If bjj is your main goal id cut out one of the lifting days.
Thanks for the feedback man ,
Yeah I'm finding that reaching both goals Is proving difficult. It's tough sometimes planning as some bij sessions are harder than others etc .

I have been thinking of going down to 2 bjj training sessions a year , always told myself that 3 is a minimum but you are right in what you ar saying I probably need to concentrate on one and get a bit more rest.

When I started my masters degree, I began to use the 5/3/1. However, I made great results by switching to the juggernaut, which is very similar to Dr. Haff's cluster training but with a lot of AMRAP testing. It might be time to switch things up to a raw conjugate, Juggernaut, or DUP. You need to find what works best for you. Myself, I came up with a DUP cluster training during my Ph.D. studies and it is working great for me. Are you getting enough protein? I would check out the ISSN protein requirements or anything by Dr. Phillips out of McMaster University

Hey thanks for the info. Can you possibly elaborate a bit more on juggernaut? I've found a pdf online for it which has like a ten week program ( is that the program you are referencing ?).
I'm unsure if amrap would work for me as even higher rep sets are difficult to recover from for bjj but I am trying to find a happy medium somwhere.

Regarding protein intake , it's definitely something I need to address but recently i have gotten better at tracking my intake

Hey thanks for the info. Can you possibly elaborate a bit more on juggernaut? I've found a pdf online for it which has like a ten week program ( is that the program you are referencing ?).
I'm unsure if amrap would work for me as even higher rep sets are difficult to recover from for bjj but I am trying to find a happy medium somwhere.

Regarding protein intake , it's definitely something I need to address but recently i have gotten better at tracking my intake

As long as you deload every 4 weeks, you should be fine. However, everyone recoveries differently so you have to listen to your body. You don't have to do the AMRAP, but some athletes just like to monitor their progress. Yeah, it is a 10 week program and just play around with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back