My #1 Tip to Improve your Life (and Income!)

palerider500

The Rational Thinker
@Blue
Reaction score
Pull yourself UP by the bootstraps!

I don't get it, why don't poor and unsuccessful people follow this simple piece of advice?

It worked for me... and works for everybody who does it.

Struggling in life? behind in rent? Need more money or friends?

Pull yourself up by the bootstraps and get to work.

Thanks for the pep talk. Now get back to work pleb

I don't get it, why don't poor and unsuccessful people follow this simple piece of advice?

You don’t have all the answers to everyone’s problems.

You do realize that the phrase "pulling yourself up by the bootstraps" originally referred to physically impossible tasks, don't you?

One can't lift oneself off the ground by pulling on one's own shoes.

Or rather one can, by jumping, but you immediately come right back down. It does not last.

Last edited:

i agree with that. but maybe most importantly for the majority of people, stop buying unnecessary shit you don't need!

i am always amazed at the amount of people i know and see, who work their asses off, simply to purchase an extravagant car or boat, or other expensive item. i can understand if it's once in a blue-moon, and it's something you have worked years to save up for. but for many people, they do this with lots and lots of items. constantly living in debt and needing to work to pay off the stuff they have convinced themselves they need. fuck that. find contentment in the very basics in life, and you'll have more expendable income, less stress, and more freedom.

Posting via homeless shelter...

Don't use your debit card for everything.....especially if you aren't consistently checking online banking

I routinely see people use their card and then are just hoping it goes through, ideally this should never happen.

Try pulling out cash for the week, and holding yourself to it (pretend your card doesn't exist). Not only are you more cognizant of how much you have left, but physically handing over bills has an added psychological effect which generally results in people being more thrifty

another protip: don't confuse needs w/ wants. Or don't make your need into a want....

For instance, a cell phone is a 'need' basically at this point. But do you have to have an IPhone X or Note whatever? or could you roll w/ a Samsung J7 or something along those lines? Do you need to get the double qtr pounder w/ cheese large meal, or can you get two or three dollar menu items and still be content?

You sound simple.

Many thanks to you, kindly 1920s Industrialist.

I'll hold myself up by my White Collar, poor boy.

What is up with all of these ridiculously basic life/financial advice threads lately?

What in the actual shit? I get it's trolling but the people giving invaluable advice like "don't buy things you don't need" and "don't spend more than you have"? What the fuck!! If people who does just that were able to follow that advice there wouldn't fucking be commercials..

Fuck! This triggers me.. sucking your own dick like "yeah, i have this neat little trick i like to call basic personal economics, thank me later"..

God damn it, now i have to go kick my cat and i'll scream at atleast 2 children tomorrow..

One thing I try to hammer into people is that being in debt is not luxurious. Is it better to have a fancy car that costs you $500+ a month for 4-6 years or to own something nice-ish outright and keep that money to save or invest? Same thing goes for stuff bought with credit cards. The payments will lost way longer than the thrill.

Don't use your debit card for everything.....especially if you aren't consistently checking online banking

I routinely see people use their card and then are just hoping it goes through, ideally this should never happen.

Try pulling out cash for the week, and holding yourself to it (pretend your card doesn't exist). Not only are you more cognizant of how much you have left, but physically handing over bills has an added psychological effect which generally results in people being more thrifty

I think the whole "cash" vs card/e-cash is huge these days. A lot of people now can go without ever really even seeing cash/money. You get your paycheck electronically, you buy everything with a card, you pay your bills online. Nobody sees actual money anymore. I feel like this has led many people to not realize the value of the money.

Forking over $120, $200, $500 in cash feels different than just swiping a card and paying it online later.

Back