Must win fight for Mir

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Double 99, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Double 99

Double 99 Orange Belt

Obviously Mir has to beat Bigfoot on the 22nd of February not just to stay at all relevant, but to keep his job. He hasn't been winning lately but I still think people calling for him to retire is premature. I just think he needs to adapt what he's doing. He's only 35. All of his last four fights were against top-level opponents who are dangerous for anyone.

Bigfoot is ranked 8th at the moment so a convincing win against him will show that Frank is still relevant and can compete at the highest level. Bigfoot dominated Fyodor and KOed Travis Browne, he is also 1+1 with Arlovskii who is now ranked 7th. He's also a huge powerful fellow with brutal top control and GnP, all of which factors Mir has struggled with in the past so for Mir to beat him would be a big statement.

If Frank can come back from that motorbike crash he can come back from a 4-fight skid. Hunt came back from a 6-fight skid to fight for the interim belt. Mir has to focus on his kicks, his cardio and his defensive wrestling. The sport has changed and subs and fighting from your back especially at HW aren't as effective as they were. I don't like the way the sport has gone any more than he probably does but it must be dealt with. And he's at Jacksons which is a cutting-edge camp as far as the development of tactics is going so I think he can do this. To beat Bigfoot he needs to

not gas out
    be strong in the clinch
    avoid getting his back stuck on the cage and get out if he ends up there
    volume of strikes
    stay off his back
    hand speed, hard straight combinations from the inside (82" vs 79") reach, low kick, reset

Bigfoot is slow and surprisingly does not have the strongest chin. He is very strong though and has massive reach and is very heavy to try and move in the clinch. Mir can win this with a KO or TKO from a right hook or straight left if he enforces the right game plan. He doesn't want to f*ck around in the clinch with Bigfoot or play bottom game subs against him. If he can take him down excellent, that will give him a great chance to win but I would put that as plan B, take it if it pops up or plan A isn't working. If Frank could improve his TDs he would become much more dangerous but that skill set might take longer to develop.

Mir by KO/TKO!
    Anyone who forgot about Frank Mir is due for a rude awakening.

2. Mcgoat666

Mcgoat666 White Belt

Bigfoot 1st rnd tko even tho i want mir to win

3. grzelkaj

grzelkaj Orange Belt

You really posted a novel to point out the obvious?

4. Kanster

Kanster Guest

Bad matchup for Mur. BF is like a better version of Mur.

5. MitMcl

MitMcl Black Belt

Mir should retire regardless of the outcome.

I predict he does actually.

6. M Raid K

M Raid K Black Belt

If he implements a gameplan similar to that of Arlovski, he may last five rounds, outpoint Bigfoot and maybe even get a TKO. Jeez, it's five rounds now. That's bad, very bad. If neither of them can KO the other, it will be a very sloppy fight by the time it hits the fourth round.

7. Kumason

Kumason MMA freak!

Or he could look like absolute garbage and remind us all how much of a wasted talent he has been for so many fights in his career.I'm a big Mir fan,I have talked to the guy a bunch in person when he worked at the spearmint rhino.He can be a devastating fighter,but having shit training camps cause he doesn't want to leave his kids and what I would say has at times been a lack of dedication is completely disappointing as a fan.He could destroy Bigfoot and look amazing and have the greatest camp of all time but how long till he has a shit camp and performance?He's been a let down,i'm still a fan but I don't ever expect a in great shape mir to show up.If someone wants to same i'm not a real fan I could care less,I am a fan and the guy's not always in shape it's just a fact.

8. roventu

roventu Brown Belt

Mir is a UFC staple, i think he's fought in it so long he will never get cut. with that said, id love to see him as a commentator after he's done fight, whenever he decides that. hes a fan favorite

9. GearSolidMetal

GearSolidMetal I'm here to chew bubblegum and bang your mom. Platinum Member

Mir is 0-4 in his last 4 fights.

If he wins (which I doubt he will) he'll be 1-4 in 5 fights.

Still would be another 2 or 3 wins away from being 'relevant.'

10. cheesus

cheesus Silver Belt

I'd love to see Mir win but I am not so sure, Bigfoot however looked awful in his last fight and this going without TRT may have a big impact on him.

11. roggg

roggg Brown Belt

Mir is helped by the fact that he's fighting top guys. I'm a fan of Mir, but I really think if he wants to keep doing this, he should be asking for a lower level fight to get back in the win column, and build from there.

I think if Bigfoot stomps him he's done, but if it's competitive I dont think a loss hurts him too badly to be honest.

12. Moneymma

Moneymma Brown Belt

mir has puncher's chanse-bigfoot via ko

13. Scitney

Scitney Blue Belt

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

He has been messed up arguably more than any other heavyweight in the UFC, besides maybe Overeem. He needs to retire. Brain damage is a serious thing. He isn't going to get close to a title shot, he should just hang it up. He had a great career.

14. Mikedh

Mikedh Silver Belt

I think he does believe he can be at the top still.

And asking for lower level fights...he is one of the highest paid guys in the division. They can't just throw him in there with Soa or Harris.

And TS "only 35" means a lot more when you have been fighting since 2001, had numerous knock outs and a major accident.

15. Le Smish Smosh**

Le Smish Smosh** Brown Belt

Mir cant do any of these things

16. trblesome1

trblesome1 Silver Belt

Depends what you consider relevant, he is fighting a guy who fought for the belt not too long ago. BigFoot is a big name and would be a huge win for him

17. GearSolidMetal

GearSolidMetal I'm here to chew bubblegum and bang your mom. Platinum Member

1 win after a 4 fight losing stream isn't relevant, he'd merely avoided being cut.

And BigFoot did fight for the belt, because everyone else was already booked. He lost quicker than when he fought Cain a mere 12 months before.

18. Jawth

Jawth Silver Belt

Bigfoot is in a worse position than Mir is. Frank is a fan favorite and former champ. Bigfoot hasn't won a fight for a long time either and has the added baggage of a failed drug test. If Bigfoot loses he'll be one away from being cut.

Frank won't ever be cut.

19. MMun

MMun Black Belt

Mir hasn't won a fight in three years. At some point they'll have to get rid of him.

20. MajJamil

MajJamil Purple Belt

Rooting for Mir, hope he pulls off an insane sub then retires