Music industry worse than UFC when it comes to pay

D 1 Wrestler

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Last article I read had ufc paying out around 15.6% over 3% more than the music industry. Capitalism baby. Form a union or be quiet imo.

Recording artists received just 12% of the $43 billion that the music industry generated in 2017, according to a Citigroup report published on Monday, and led by analyst Jason B. Bazinet.

$43 billion matches a 12-year peak that the industry hasn't hit since 2006, the report said.

The proportion of the total music industry revenue artists are capturing has actually risen since 2000, when artists took home only a 7% share of the revenue.

https://www.businessinsider.com/mus...lion-generated-by-music-industry-study-2018-8

Gotta tour to make money as an artist now days. Tis normal

bands/artists can go on tour and make bank

UFC fighters used to be able to get sponsors to make some extra dough, now they just get free ugly t shirts

bands/artists can go on tour and make bank

UFC fighters used to be able to get sponsors to make some extra dough, now they just get free ugly t shirts
This new sponsor system is streamlined and fair. They get fucking jackets too!
<3>

I'm sorry man. I overreacted. Just don't come goofin against the fight kits here.
<31>
And buy Fight Pass.

What about the artists that own their publishing? Since this report seems to separate artists from labels and publishing, most artists own their publishing I would think.....a few artists also run their own label.

R. Kelly definitely doesn't own his publishing, homie was crying about it on a 19 minute song.

"I admit it every since the 1st day, I signed my publishing away"

Wonder how they calculated artist share when it came to music sales. If it was just tallied up from 1099's generated by royalty checks then that's more like the tip of the iceberg than it is a full accounting of their share. Labels front expenses to be recouped against future royalties. Lets say a band wants to go on tour but they can't front the 10k for a bus and all that jazz. The label pays for it and deducts it from royalties owed. If the band only recoups 8k then how much did they earn? Was it 10k, 8k, or 0? Either way, no "royalty check" actually gets cut.

Gotta tour to make money as an artist now days. Tis normal

yup. the internet killed music. and the real losers? we as fans. it fucking sucks. back when artists could make real money, they would put a lot of time and effort into creating great music. there is a clear parallel between the advent of the internet, and the dramatic decline in quality of music. no money = no incentive in putting in the effort to create something great.

What about the artists that own their publishing? Since this report seems to separate artists from labels and publishing, most artists own their publishing I would think.....a few artists also run their own label.

R. Kelly definitely doesn't own his publishing, homie was crying about it on a 19 minute song.

"I admit it every since the 1st day, I signed my publishing away"

Good question. Keep in mind there's two sides to publishing (master recording and songwriting). Generally you're gonna have to cut someone in on publishing otherwise nobody is going to collect it for you. At one point I though artists couldn't assign their songwriting revenue to labels but I could be wrong there.

Well you also gotta suck dick and make an oath to the baphomet in the music industry so......

Just when you thought TS couldn’t create a worse thead he goes out and does this. Some people shouldn’t be allowed to start threads regardless of the color belt they have.

versace vercace vercace (sache) vercace vercace vercace.... glad that shit doesn't get paid more than the guys who spill blood for a living...

yup. the internet killed music. and the real losers? we as fans. it fucking sucks. back when artists could make real money, they would put a lot of time and effort into creating great music. there is a clear parallel between the advent of the internet, and the dramatic decline in quality of music. no money = no incentive in putting in the effort to create something great.

"no incentive in putting in the effort"

LOL!! While it is true that artists no longer make the same $$$ off their albums, people have never, ever, ever had the kind of access to music, like they do today. You, and everyone you know, have had your lives enhanced by the music that you would not have heard, if not for this technology. I would argue that technology has evolved as a direct result of companies like Napster. The IPHONE changed the world. IPOD's wouldn't have had nearly the same kind of success, if not for file sharing. The same people are still making millions of dollars to make music, and people are still desperately trying to get into that industry.

Back