Music has not evolved

Zeke's Chaingun

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
If you listen to a 50s song, you know it's a 50s song. If you listen to a 60s song, you know it's a 60s song. The same if you listen to 70s, 80s, and even the 90s.

However, if you took a hit song released in the late 90s and early 00s and released it today, it wouldn't sound out of place on the radio today, in the 2020s.

There are talented artists today, but shit has not evolved. Its stagnant.

Agreed.

I don't really listen to anything new or modern for that reason. Kind of falling out of love with music if i'm being completely honest. I listen to the same shit I did growing up but i've heard it all. Still love to play music, but havent been into a new sound or band in like a decade atleast

What kind of evolution are you looking for?

Essentially everything is made from the same notes..

'In 600 BCE, famed mathematician Pythagorus dissected music as a science and developed the keystone of modern music: the octave scale.'

Not that much has changed since then lol.

What kind of evolution are you looking for?

Essentially everything is made from the same notes..

'In 600 BCE, famed mathematician Pythagorus dissected music as a science and developed the keystone of modern music: the octave scale.'

Not that much has changed since then lol.
i mean that's the truth at the end of the day. There's only 11 notes

sometimes you have to feed it like a leaf stone or a moon stone to make it evolve idk

I think you're more making an observation on what's popular more than anything else. Tastes for what kind of music makes the charts don't seem to be evolving, but there's still people out there making different shit.

Isn't a Microtone just a pitch in between regular tones?

This is cool though.
Not quite. Microtonal music is just anything deviating from 12 tone equal temperament. It could mean simply adding quarter tones, or it could mean dividing up the octave into a completely different number of tones (the example I posted above divides it into 53 tones)

Not quite. Microtonal music is just anything deviating from 12 tone equal temperament. It could mean simply adding quarter tones, or it could mean dividing up the octave into a completely different number of tones (the example I posted above divides it into 53 tones)

Interesting, but essentially they are all within the boundaries of the classic 7 notes, not outside of them right?.. Kind of like suggesting there are no numbers outside of 1-10 and using 1.1,1.2,1.3 etc as examples right? But there cannot be a 0.9 or a 10.1

Interesting, but essentially they are all within the boundaries of the classic 7 notes, not outside of them right?.. Kind of like suggesting there are no numbers outside of 1-10 and using 1.1,1.2,1.3 etc as examples right? But there cannot be a 0.9 or a 10.1
Well, not quite. 12TET (what you're used to hearing) and 53TET completely divide up the octave differently (and in fact, since 12 and 53 share no common factors, only the root note of each scale is shared). Also, (and this is getting really esoteric) you can have temperaments based on intervals other than octaves. Wendy Carlos fucked around south these kinds of tunings a bit. Here's a video going into the subject a bit

im in a band that improvises every session we play from start to finish with no plan whatsoever. we also have the intent and goal to play the music in a deep meditative state which creates a phenomenon where the music transmits the meditation vibe to the crowd and brings them into a meditative state.

we are not very good but it does work and people say that emotional, psychological and spiritual healing take place during our sessions. i think this approach is completely new and unique and truly innovative.

we do sometimes play songs that we have written in addition to what i just described but never more than one in an evening.

im in a band that improvises every session we play from start to finish with no plan whatsoever. we also have the intent and goal to play the music in a deep meditative state which creates a phenomenon where the music transmits the meditation vibe to the crowd and brings them into a meditative state.

we are not very good but it does work and people say that emotional, psychological and spiritual healing take place during our sessions. i think this approach is completely new and unique and truly innovative.

we do sometimes play songs that we have written in addition to what i just described but never more than one in an evening.

Sounds like what Can used to do in the 70's (not trying to burst your bubble or anything, but you should check them out).

Bruh, have you not heard of mumble Rap?

It's clearly the pinnacle of music. This is where every contribution throughout musical history has lead too.

What an age to be alive.

It's not the 11 notes. It's what you can do with those 11 notes.
Not trying to be a dick... but there's 12 notes...

And then there's non Western music, which is a whole different thing altogether.

Sounds like what Can used to do in the 70's (not trying to burst your bubble or anything, but you should check them out).

ive heard them. they are very good at their craft but without any of the mystical and spiritual intent and effects. still a great band though.

being played by he power while in a significantly deep meditative state changes the nature of it as does the intent to transmit that through sound to others.

still think what we are doing is unique and innovative.

ive heard them. they are very good at their craft but without any of the mystical and spiritual intent and effects. still a great band though.

being played by he power while in a significantly deep meditative state changes the nature of it as does the intent to transmit that through sound to others.

still think what we are doing is unique and innovative.

Well I'll keep an eye out if you ever put anything on here. Most of their albums are pieced together from jam sessions with them doing just that though and I don't see how Future Days at least isn't meditative.

Neu!, Faust, Amon Duul were all doing that, it was a big part of that scene.

That scene produced some of my favourite music ever btw, so good for you if you're doing stuff in that vein.

a lot of the 'evolution' had to do with technology since the 40s (electric instruments, synthesizers, computers; also distribution via record, cd, mp3 etc). Once that had run its course, stuff isn't changing as much anymore.

if anything computers got a bit 'too' good and replaced the need for musicians... (so a lot/most of chart music now relies on cannibilizing its hooks by sample from past, and clubs don't need bands to put on entertainment - just get a DJ to play other people's music).

You have a point TS. I believe the popular music of today and the future will only evolve very minutely. Not as discernable as in the past before 2000's. Instead of recalling a decade as being something unique and special. But now it's going be 2 or 3 decades before we can say something new or special just got released to the masses.

Back